2001 V11 Sport petcock options?

shaun

I am in the process of awakening a sleeping beauty, V11 Sport Rosso Mandello, I have replace the fuel pump, filiter and fuel lines, all good so far I will clean the injectors this weekend.

When I removed the tank and inspected the petcock it appears to be siezed, can these screwable petcock be rebuilt or is a new one needed or even available? I have checked some MG online sotres but cant seem to find one

They do come apart, at least partially.

I would take it as far apart as you can get it, making sure to remove all rubber and plastic bits. Then soak it in carb cleaner or other such solvent. If you have access to a sonic parts cleaner (some use these for carb cleaning) that would be even better. If it is the manual petcock it should be salvageable. They are pretty simple devices.

Even on a routine basis, these are really hard to turn. Some of us use ChannelLocks (slip-joint pliers) and some padding (like leather) to turn the things.  MAybe drizzle something penetrating ("Ed'sRed!") and begin with gradual back and forth motions.

I fooled myself thinking  it was closed on a couple of occasions and finally figured out I needed pliers to close it.  Lots of gas on the floor.   Then it started leaking.  So, I don't have a pet cock,  just an open junction.  I have a cork the might fit.  I also purchased a quick disconnect but it about 5 inches long and I haven't installed it.  IIRC another MG petcock is $75 or so.  I think I'll leave well enough alone until I pull the tank off again.

7 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

They do come apart, at least partially.

I would take it as far apart as you can get it, making sure to remove all rubber and plastic bits. Then soak it in carb cleaner or other such solvent. If you have access to a sonic parts cleaner (some use these for carb cleaning) that would be even better. If it is the manual petcock it should be salvageable. They are pretty simple devices.

The only parts that can be removed are the filter screen the attaching nut and the circlip on the end, you cant access the internals without machining/removing the crimped over top edge of the alloy operating knob. I have one of these pieces of total rubbish on the bench at the moment. I have 2 of these,one failed ( wouldnt shut off even with pliers) so I fitted the spare and its crap also. One issue is the crimped edge of the operating nut rubs on the tap body, this I rectified on the failed unit and it works much more smoothly.

The major issue seems to be the seals actually swell when they contact fuel as the failed unit now its dried out for months seems to be smoother in operation and does actually close off fully now. Long story short they are rubbish quality.

Ciao  

• Like 1

The bike is now running after a fuel injectors clean and new hoses, does anyone know if the fuel regulator on the RH side of the tank needs a vacuum hose on the nipple? My nipple was bare!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docc said:

Cool, Shaun! Congratulations!

That forward facing barb on the regulator is open; no hose.

Thanks Docc