Help starting 98 ev

fubar guzzi

I am having difficulty starting my loving EV+ could use some direction before it accidentally catches fire.The bike displayed every symptom of bad air temperature sensor----so I replaced it! Then it gave symptoms of bad phase sensor control,I tested it as best I could it was bad soooooo I replaced it.Every wire is connected as it should be,charger on battery to stay charged,one+half new plugs replaced,valves ok. I could start bike before + after changing out phase sensor but not for long as I was playing with tps adjustment.Tps is set about 150mv,to continue I must have engine running.Engine will run without any tps wires connected,soooooo that should not be a problem??? I went the Vaseline route +applied liberally to every thing including myself---------never ever use that baby fragrance stuff------all I'm gonna say is that awful smell doesn't play well with bourbon----flywheel sensor was cleaned,the only thing I can think of left to do is KICK the tires,but I cannot raise my leg that high(it's on a lift)

Thank you

I'm relatively new at this FI tuneup, only done my Griso(very different), CalVin (very similar?), but I'll throw a couple of thoughts your way.

It sounds like you had a variety of symptoms, replaced a variety of parts and it still doesn't want to run, are you sure it's not something completely unrelated ie plugged fuel filter, line, fuel pump etc or an electrical connection short or bad relay, side stand, neutral ignition switch etc.

I thought the 150 mv TPS reading was for the baseline setting with everything disconnected and the throttle plates closed, then once reconnected TPS adjusted to 486/487? mv for idle, I remember adjusting the idle, TB balancing and going back and forth adjusting the TPS a few times to get it running sweet.

I don't understand your comment about the bike being able to run with the TPS disconnected, I would have assumed that if the TPS was disconnected nothing would run.

Fresh eyes in the morning may solve it for you, sometimes works for me,lol.

Good luck

Kelly

Thank you for replying to my post Mr.80cx-----fuel filter was replaced,fuel pump works fine,relays+fuses ok, side stand disconnected ,strong spark to plugs. Tps setup 150mv/375mv all connected not running (remember this is a 98 model/different from 99+years). The rpm sensor on flywheel was cleaned (one chunk of debris ) but not checked for mvolts . I'm going to check out the ecu as best I can,the po had issues with this bike before he dumped it on me so I feel it necessary to dig deeper.

I would like to know more about a product from Australia called    My ECU  has anyone tried one ?

You might try connecting using Guzzidiag (or even TuneECU) to see if the previous owner bricked the ECU.

Dont screw around, use these cables: https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-OBD-Diagnostic-Cables/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-Ducatidiag-Hardware

You should be able to see what ECU it is, what map it's running etc. If it cant connect, or show some kind of error, you may need a new ECU.

A 98 EV can give fault codes, get the factory FI supplement manual for the codes ( on thisoldtractor.com ) there a red LED under the left side cover that blinks the codes, start or attempt to start it then turn off key but not all the way off to start the code flasher. The codes don’t cover everything but the crank, cam and temp sensors are included.

what does it do? Start and idle or not start at all and what does it do if not starting?

there is a fuel trim dial on the computer box, covered with a plug, if that were messed with it can cause a lot of bad behavior of the motor  if you decide to tweak it only go half turn at a time and give it a 10 minute ride to let cpu adjust itself to the change.

I think the myecu is really expensive?.  And there's a learning curve but if your into that probably a good solution.. I wonder if there's a chance of borrowing another cpu to test before going that route. There's gotta be a few 98ev's somewhere around your location? Have you asked this question over at Wildguzzi?

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to start engine tho it will be a process to get it wright.The little red light does not work so I just wing it!The only electric tool I can use is a multimeter. Balancing the tb's is difficult with a manometer,regrettably I resort to the Twin Max till balance is somewhere near then I can use the manometer to get it right. Phase sensor was the main problem---then ecu connection+many many other problems that made this repair a night mare,all in all if I SQUINT I think I see light at tunnels end---thank all of you for your support.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I;ts Feb 20 now I've been practicing repairs since September on my loving 98ev. The main reason I couldn't start the engine was worn out plugs----I am currently on set #4 with zero miles----keep your eye on those plugs when working on the engine(ngk bpr6es).Also

I've run out of gas 3 times while on the service rack(it seems impossible to start this way),no warning light---no reserve,it really is not hard to do!!! I've figured how to adjust the tps,it was difficult for many reason's but mainly cause I don't have a tac and with adjustment to the throttle body TOTALY out of adjustment when running, fuel would be pumped into the engine and mixing with the oil (4 oil changes),thats mainly why the plugs would self destroy.In all my miserable 5 months of repair I really put the battery in a state of over load(odessey 680),yes I destroyed it,it will be replaced with same when I have money again.The tac +speed-o(speed hut) have failed me AGAIN,I am waiting for the second service(repair)so I can continue.----On a personal note, I've gone from real beer----to bourbon,to blended scotch--------Life is good ,  no?!!

Edited by fubar guzzi
mistake
  • Haha 1

Hi Doc,you have an inquiring mind, 1st time both speed-o and tac had defective control board issues ----this time ,I don't know as yet,it's only been 6 weeks but,don't go away there's more -----both units do not light the face,the tac totally does not work,+something else I can't recall at the moment +one of the little square things that(do not) make the instruments light up,all but caught fire.I only have 4 years of warrantee left,I hope they can hurry !!! Other than that -----Life Is Good!!!!!

• Thanks 1

That's a great attitude! :bier:

Worse than just an inquiring mind, I have a pair of Speedhut, from which I do not know what to expect. I do recall the face illumination is LED with separate drivers ("little square things"). I also seem to recall the needles are separately illuminated but not sure if they have their own little square things.

Your speed-o is GPS or gets a local signal from the bike?

The speed-0 is just a plain one,no gps. I like to use the maps + stuff plus the fact i can't see the little  square box that indicates everything.I had a horrorable time installing the Speed Hut stuff, if I was to do again I would rebuild the old gauges.However Speed Hut is very good about warranty work so what the hell. I am presently TRYING to figure out a way to install a fuel gauge----if it can be done I will use a Speed Hut gauge for that because they will custom build it for me.  Have a great weekend Docc

• Thanks 1