Crank vent hose leak/spray

shaun

So I took a short shake down ride in my recently revived Rosso Mandello and noticed a fine spray of oil coming from a hose that I think is an oil vent hose, see the diagram it looks to be coming from the area around 19. Is this a known failure point ?

C9FC14F2-A4FB-4C55-9B8A-696B4168501F.jpeg

Yes, just get a new one,, easy peaasy.   :rasta:

Cheers tom.

3 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Yes, just get a new one,, easy peaasy.   :rasta:

Cheers tom.

Just ordered one thanks, I guess it’s a tank off for installation ?

15 minutes ago, shaun said:

Just ordered one thanks, I guess it’s a tank off for installation ?

Well you could try tightening the clamp but its usually the hose thats split. As far as easy peasy goes I find them a total PITA to replace. Lots of wiring,cables, ignition coils etc to get around.

Ciao  

• Like 1

It's f'd up . Get a new one . You will probably have to remove the tank . If the clamps are indexed correctly , you can leave the tank on . If not , look at it long and hard to se how you can index the clamps so you can use a flex socket & a 7mm socket ( I think ) to get it the next time . I have a SnapOn flexsocket with the u-joint/socket together . $$$$$

• Like 2

As a point, that is the crankcase vent. The air and oil mist it is venting go up into the frame, where the oil separates out and is returned to the sump.

It is not a high pressure hose, but sadly the stock hose they used doesn't seem to hold up over time. You can replace it with another factory pre-bent hose, or you could just get some higher quality oil resistant hose and connect it to the back of the motor and the underside of the frame. The pre-bent factory hose is way easier, but it is such a cheap quality hose the factory uses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I received the new hose today and proceeded to remove the perished item from the bike, with the gas tank in place. It was awkward but after a while I was able to remove the hose clamps and pull the rubber hose out of the engine area.

Time for a beer and then to fit the new hose, I struggled for a while and then decided I need a small handed gynecologist to complete the task without removing the gas tank, I just can’t get enough leverage to push the ends of the hose onto the fittings, oh bugger 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find that soapy water like Windex can be good for that. It is a lubricant when wet, helping the hose slide onto the fitting with less effort. But when it dries it is no longer slippery. In some cases, depending on the brand, it can even be a little tacky once dry.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh yes, it's a tight space. I replaced mine yesterday. Took down the left coil, sprayed the tap with silicone spray, but still very hard to press the pipe over the tap due to tight space. An angled 19mm ring wrench worked literally as my helping hand:)

A small tire lever could be a proper tool to make the necessary pressure to enter the stiff pipe.

Breather pipe replaced

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I wonder what that stuff was that was on the original ?

Referring to that apparent extension with the bracket and hose?  (I've never seen that before . . .)

Wild quess, a busted hose,,   Look 👀 see what's in the plumbing division?  Redneck rep. :rasta:

Cheers tom.