Mmmm, MV.... beautiful machines.  Evil food food for thought.

what of the Aprilia Tuono?  More bike than needed, but a guy has one that was laid down and looks ok but sales price is in the attractive range because of it.  

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

Mmmm, MV.... beautiful machines.  Evil food food for thought.

what of the Aprilia Tuono?  More bike than needed, but a guy has one that was laid down and looks ok but sales price is in the attractive range because of it.  

Aprilia make a very nice product. I've owned 2 RSV1000R's ( ohlins suspension and forged wheels model) and a standard RSV1000. They all were very good bikes and under appreciated by the market at the time. Aprilia quality is first class.

Ciao

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

What you want for a track bike is one you're not bothered about crashing and a bike that is so much better than you are that your total concentration and focus is on doing the actual riding and working on improving and enhancing your riding technique and skills.

You also dont want something that's so fast it scares you, or is too heavy or has significant shortcomings you need to compensate for. Its all about the riding not the bike.

Losing the brakes doesn't seem to full fill at least one of my  criteria :)

Ciao 

All I can say, it's lucky they put a slow down chicane before the hairpin.  Otherwise I would've been pushing 100 with no brakes, luckily I had one more squeeze of pressure left after the initial squeeze.  That was with Russell stainless brake lines.  The ride home was pretty scary too, since the rear brake is very weak.

The Bandit is a big heavy torque-y bike with weak brakes.  I should've gotten the hint with my first track day.  The brakes squealed the entire day and the whole bike felt like lump of glowing coals.   I was shocked the upgraded brake lines would blow.

Most 600s are clapped out before the warrant expires. Euro machines can be affordable, but parts price and waiting will kill you. How big do you want to go? Am thinking Suzuki SV650 or SV1000. Have seen some with GSXR suspension/brakes which solved their primary weakness. The 1000 will be slightly more Guzzi-like, in that it's a bit of a big gal, but faster and with 11K to play with. That is 2K past power peak, so over-rev is not a concern.  

I’ve found euro and Japanese bike parts to be similar enough in pricing... both outrageous.  At least in my experience in the last decade:  Yamaha WR450R, Suzuki DR350.

But availability is the other thing u mention, which is true, and also applies to after market.  My old DR was a fun project, largely aided by the availability of many great after market options and/or upgrades.  Euro bikes have after market stuff, but just seems less, at least in the category i’m eye-balling.

But Phil has me noodling the Aprilia.  Nifty enough to enjoy working on it and riding it on road now and then, capable enough for the occasional track day.  Then, if I end up doing a lot more track time, i’ll Have developed a better feel for what I’d really want.  And i don’t, i’ll Have had a fun run with an Aprilia, at little expense (if I get something like what I’ve found so far on line, with some low side damage).

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

I’ve found euro and Japanese bike parts to be similar enough in pricing... both outrageous.  At least in my experience in the last decade:  Yamaha WR450R, Suzuki DR350.

But availability is the other thing u mention, which is true, and also applies to after market.  My old DR was a fun project, largely aided by the availability of many great after market options and/or upgrades.  Euro bikes have after market stuff, but just seems less, at least in the category i’m eye-balling.

But Phil has me noodling the Aprilia.  Nifty enough to enjoy working on it and riding it on road now and then, capable enough for the occasional track day.  Then, if I end up doing a lot more track time, i’ll Have developed a better feel for what I’d really want.  And i don’t, i’ll Have had a fun run with an Aprilia, at little expense (if I get something like what I’ve found so far on line, with some low side damage).

I've had the RSV engine apart and its pretty much bullet proof, so no issues there. Balance shafts make it really smooth as well. If you can find a low klm or really nice one go for it. The only thing with a crash damaged one is that the alloy frame and swingarm are susceptible to cosmetic damage. They look beautiful but its hard to reproduce the finish even if its damaged by flying gravel during a low side. One of my bikes was an insurance write off due to cosmetic damage only. I bought it and rebuilt it rode it for a while and sold it. Only down side I can think of is fairly tall seat height and more top heavy handling wise than a Ducati. 

Ciao

Here is a salvage titled 2001 MV Agusta F4 750 for only $4,900 in Los Angeles.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/d/los-angeles-2001-mv-agusta-f4-750/7039904961.html

And here's a 2005 F4 1000cc, also salvage titled, in Sacramento for $5,000.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/sacramento-mv-agusta-f4r/7036898302.html

You could probably buy some previously damaged or unpainted bodywork for the track - and dress her back up for the street.

More track bike options:

A very nice Suzuki SV 650S, the fully faired version, for $2,000. Low cost, fabulous handling, not overpowered, just throw some super sticky rubber on it and go racing.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/costa-mesa-2006-suzuki-sv650-full/7050111066.html

And could you please go buy this pristine Ducati 1000DS with race heads and heaps of extra parts for $4,500 so I don't feel compelled to look at it?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rancho-cucamonga-2004-ducati-1000ds/7040735649.html

Please? I really like this 1000DS... It's one of Ducati's best motors - at least for all around use and durability.

Yikes.  I had just used some deep breathing techniques to get myself to relax and take my time, then u screw things up by showing me that DS! :->

hmmm....

Now, if you were willing to eyeball it for a poor fellow stuck in the rain, at work, up in the NW, that could push me over the edge (the purchasing edge...)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Yikes.  I had just used some deep breathing techniques to get myself to relax and take my time, then u screw things up by showing me that DS! :->

hmmm....

Now, if you were willing to eyeball it for a poor fellow stuck in the rain, at work, up in the NW, that could push me over the edge (the purchasing edge...)

Here we are, again, asking the other inmates on the ward if we really are just that crazy, after all . . . :blink:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, docc said:

Here we are, again, asking the other inmates on the ward if we really are just that crazy, after all . . . :blink:

To the OP, "you're in trouble now" LoL

Scud; What a man on a mission finding beautiful bikes,,,, Chuck called it right, sit down tightly on your wallets boys!

I know the under seat pipe routing is over done, but omg, that red MV Augusta is one sexy looking bike.

If it was my decision, that red Ducati would be in my garage already,js. 

I only rode one Ducati 860GT, 40 yrs ago, I wasn't overly impressed, but I was young and stupid at the time.

The Ducatis have a great rep around the track, people in the know seem to love them, and I think that 1000DS model is one of the lower state of tune bikes, that's supposed to be very easy to live with, compared to some of the higher state of tune bikes.

It looks sexy as hell, sounds "mint", has a good title so it's safe money, and it sounds like it's been well taken care of.

I love the 70 yr old owner describing doing power wheelies with it.

In the used bike world, it sounds like it has been very well owned.

Good luck keeping that thing out of your garage,lol.

Kelly

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

To the OP, "you're in trouble now" LoL

Scud; What a man mission finding beautiful bikes,,,, Chuck called it right, sit down tightly on your wallets boys!

I know the under seat pipe routing is over done, but omg, that red MV Augusta is one sexy looking bike.

If it was my decision, that red Ducati would be in my garage already,js. 

I only rode one Ducati 860GT, 40 yrs ago, I wasn't overly impressed, but I was young and stupid at the time.

The Ducatis have a great rep around the track, people in the know seem to love them, and I think that 1000DS model is one of the lower state of tune bikes, that's supposed to be very easy to live with, compared to some of the higher state of tune bikes.

It looks sexy as hell, sounds "mint", has a good title so it's safe money, and it sounds like it's been well taken care of.

I love the 70 yr old owner describing doing power wheelies with it.

In the used bike world, it sounds like it has been very well owned.

Good luck keeping that thing out of your garage,lol.

Kelly

Young and smart I'd say, 860 GT's weren't very impressive even in their day.

Ciao

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Young and smart I'd say, 860 GT's weren't very impressive even in their day.

Ciao

Well, I know I dodged a bullet on the bike; at that time any Ducati I had, would have to be transported 320 miles to Toronto for service, I found out through the grapevine later, the bike needed a valve job and that was why the owner was selling.

I was coming off a 750 H2 triple and a KZ900, so the 860GT was underwhelming at best; straight ahead power was really the only thing on my mind at that time, it would be a few years before I came to appreciate a good corner.

Kelly

Those bike looks too nice to turn into track day bikes.  Unless the goal is to have a nice street bike that is tracked upon occasion.  

For the former, I'd look at a salvage or auction bike.  For the later, it's a trade off between style, performance and cost that only the buyer can know.  I'd like to take my Ducati on a track day or two but like my Greenie, it's a street machine, not a track bike.

• Like 1