Tire Sealant and Balancer

Scud

I am trying the Ride-On brand of motorcycle tire sealant and balancer. It claims to stay liquid, be easy to clean, and it also claims to balance the wheel/tire. I'm trying it because I have a slow leak in the front tire of my Stelvio, which seems to stabilize at 20 PSI, instead of going all the way flat. I am hoping that this stuff will seal the slow leak.

Anybody else tried this stuff? It's a bit expensive - about $10 worth of the stuff per tire. But I have typically discarded tires if I pick up a big nail, and the "word" on the Internet seems to be that you can simply yank out the nail (when tire is warm), air up and ride away. And people claim to run the tire for its full tread life even after multiple punctures have been sealed with this stuff.

I like that it is also a wheel balancer, which saves time on the tire change.

Anyone using this (or other similar) stuff and have experience to share?

Several (3 of 4) of my bikes have slow leaks. My EV will go all the way flat.  I think culprit is the seals on the rims, after many tire changes and cursory clean ups the build up and scratches add up over time making the seal less and less stable.   

I'd be interested to see how the liquid product works.

They are hawking as a preventative self-sealing thing. Hmm. 

Let us know how this goes, Scud.

This is something I might use before a big road trip. I would still carry a plug kit and air pump.

The product was recommended to me by a trusted parts-guy at Moto Forza (my local Ducati / MV / Husqvarna dealer). I'm simultaneously testing it in a tube tire. The use 19" rim I picked up for my Husky 701 Enduro had a rim lock on it. I had to put a lot of weights on to get it to balance, but it was still bouncy. Now I have removed all that, and substituted a standard tube (instead of the oversized heavy duty tube that was in there). I'm only going to ride the 19" inch wheel with high pressure (unlike the 21" which now has an aggressive dirt knobby tire on it).

22 minutes ago, JBBenson said:

They are hawking as a preventative self-sealing thing. Hmm. 

Let us know how this goes, Scud.

This is something I might use before a big road trip. I would still carry a plug kit and air pump.

The potentially interesting thing about this is to use it with any new tire as prevention - and to provide dynamic balancing from new. I have recently replaced a few rear tires that still had tread life, including a near new one on my Ducati that picked up a huge nail. If it works, it's a time and money saver. I'm also curious to see how much of a mess it actually makes when the tire is removed... but that part of the the test will have to wait a while.

I think there is a possibility of this stuff working. :unsure: Guzzi Bob (RIP) used to slime his tubes on his T3 and Green frame. He said, sometimes the tubes would come out looking like a porcupine at tire change, but he never had a flat. :huh2: