Top Speed for VII

Kiwi_Roy

Not unless your speedo is wildly optimistic.

240 kph is 149 mph. Even downhill a stock or near stock V11 isn't going to go that fast.

I could see 135 on a good day (a REALLY good day). A V11 is quick more than fast. It will accelerate really well for a 500 lb motorcycle with only two cylinders. But it lacks the raw power and aerodynamics to be able to pull 150 mph.

But it is good to dream.

• Like 2

240kmh on the odometer is really 223kmh because every instrument is out of phase by 7% due to the rule of the manufacturers.

yours is also quite optimistic or you don't have the original configuration. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, ferguzzi said:

I got 147 mph indicated on the final straight at Nurburgring. That’s apparently 137 true, or 220kph.

ish.

i think i saw 120 once, but that’s without a fairing and chin down somewhere in the yolk!

I've been asked how fast The Sport will "go" . . . hm :mellow:

I am reminded of something T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") wrote of his beloved Brough Superior SS100 Alpine Grand Sport(s) he had named Boanerges. I must paraphrase as I cannot find the exact quote . . .

["Across the Salisbury Plain, Boa gives me another three per, as he loves me."]

I swear I read something like that from T.E. Lawrence about riding his SS100 at speed. But here is something apparently attributable , from his letters, about riding at speed that I find poignant:

"Put in a good word for Boanerges, my Brough bike.

I had five of them in four years, and rode 100,000 miles on them, making only two insurance claims (for superficial damage to machine after skids), and hurting nobody.

The greatest pleasure of my recent life has been speed on the road.

The bike would do 100 m.p.h. but I'm not a racing man. It was my satisfaction to purr along gently between 60 and 70 m.p.h.

and drink in the air and the general view.

I lose detail at even moderate speeds, but gain comprehension.

When I used to cross Salisbury Plain at 50 or so, I'd feel the earth moulding herself under me. It was me piling up this hill, hollowing this valley, stretching out this level place: almost the earth came alive, heaving and tossing on each side like a sea. That's a thing the slow coach will never feel. It is the reward of Speed.

I could write for hours on the lustfulness of moving swiftly."

1 hour ago, docc said:

I've been asked how fast The Sport will "go" . . . hm :mellow:

I am reminded of something T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") wrote of his beloved Brough Superior SS100 Alpine Grand Sport(s) he had named Boanerges. I must paraphrase as I cannot find the exact quote . . .

["Across the Salisbury Plain, Boa gives me another three per, as he loves me."]

I swear I read something like that from T.E. Lawrence about riding his SS100 at speed. But here is something apparently attributable , from his letters, about riding at speed that I find poignant:

"Put in a good word for Boanerges, my Brough bike.

I had five of them in four years, and rode 100,000 miles on them, making only two insurance claims (for superficial damage to machine after skids), and hurting nobody.

The greatest pleasure of my recent life has been speed on the road.

The bike would do 100 m.p.h. but I'm not a racing man. It was my satisfaction to purr along gently between 60 and 70 m.p.h.

and drink in the air and the general view.

I lose detail at even moderate speeds, but gain comprehension.

When I used to cross Salisbury Plain at 50 or so, I'd feel the earth moulding herself under me. It was me piling up this hill, hollowing this valley, stretching out this level place: almost the earth came alive, heaving and tossing on each side like a sea. That's a thing the slow coach will never feel. It is the reward of Speed.

I could write for hours on the lustfulness of moving swiftly."

He had a way with words TE. He was a trained Aircraft Engineer as well. 

Ciao

• Like 1

My Dad lived on a farm in Dorset as a lad, he often spoke of seeing and hearing Lawence and his Brough riding along the main road near Blandford army camp.  It was rumoured locally he would go through a set of tyres in a two week leave.  Dad also told a story about Geoff Duke racing at Blandford Camp, he came to a bend and saw a rider laying in the track. Sadly he was dead, at the inquest Duke was asked how he avoided hitting him, 'Oh, I just laid the bike down and slid to a stop.'.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

He had a way with words TE. He was a trained Aircraft Engineer as well. 

Ciao

He was also instrumental in developing a rescue boat for the navy.  Sorry, I'm a Lawrence geek.  :)  And I've wondered what modern bike Lawrence might ride.  The V11 always comes to mind.  I wonder if he would have a non-Brit machine?

I think I've chickened out at about 125 mph on the V11.  Speedo wobbles so much that it's hard to tell.

• Like 1