Rocker cover torq specs

Colorobo

Torque? I used that a couple of times on those little screws, not a good idea ;~)

Allen keys used like screw drivers, and then snugged just a little more, that's one spot, I like to err on the side of caution and med lock tite.

I think the newer engines might have a harder alloy, the old round heads were made with some type of Italian cottage cheese lol.

What made the biggest difference for me was going to the real good Valopini sp? valve cover gaskets, so I wasn't tempted to over tighten them trying to stop leaks.

Go gentle and good luck

Kelly

Best to have a torque wrench, see how "tight" the correct torque is and then be shocked how you have been over-tightening fasteners all along. Don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On "lesser" fasteners, it's all about "wrench art."

Unfortunately, I am often more like a preschooler than Michelangelo.   :whistle:

Bill

'"Wrench art" . . . that's a good one. As is "Allen wrench tight."

I've always used a "star pattern" to remove and replace them, snugging up in a coupl'a-three steps. These original gaskets will probably have to be milled off. (If I ever actually have to change them . . . B) )

To the OP, in all seriousness, from my files,7 ft/lbs or 1 Kg/M, be very careful in all the conversions that can take place from manuals/internet to the tool in your hand.

Do yourself a favor and don't just use any big old torque wrench, that you happen to have lying around, especially the new modern click styles.

I've got 3 old fashioned beam style torque wrenches, 1/2", 3/8" & a tiny 1/4" drive, I would only use the tiny 1/4" drive on those little screws.

I used to make the mistake of over tightening those rocker valve cover screws to solve perpetual leaking issues,,, it was the wrong method,,, let the gasket do it's job, don't over tighten and compress it.

You can always go back and tighten up a little if need be , but once the OEM threads are stripped they're gone forever, yes they can be repaired, but it's  an unnecessary pita.

Good luck

Kelly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

To the OP, in all seriousness, from my files,7 ft/lbs or 1 Kg/M, be very careful in all the conversions that can take place from manuals/internet to the tool in your hand.

Do yourself a favor and don't just use any big old torque wrench, that you happen to have lying around, especially the new modern click styles.

I've got 3 old fashioned beam style torque wrenches, 1/2", 3/8" & a tiny 1/4" drive, I would only use the tiny 1/4" drive on those little screws.

I used to make the mistake of over tightening those rocker valve cover screws to solve perpetual leaking issues,,, it was the wrong method,,, let the gasket do it's job, don't over tighten and compress it.

You can always go back and tighten up a little if need be , but once the OEM threads are stripped they're gone forever, yes they can be repaired, but it's  an unnecessary pita.

Good luck

Kelly

I wouldnt use the old style gaskets anymore either. Pete Roper sent me a couple of the metal type and they dont leak, dont tear and dont compress over time. Technology moves forward.

Ciao  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leroysch said:

I've had good luck with these https://realgaskets.com/product-category/motorcycle/moto-guzzi/ thru original installation and one reuse. No leaks, seeps, etc.

Nice, I went straight to the aviation section and looked up PW 1830 and Wright R-3350 gaskets. R-3350, now there's and engine for you.

Ciao

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

'"Wrench art" . . . that's a good one. As is "Allen wrench tight."

I've always used a "star pattern" to remove and replace them, snugging up in a coupl'a-three steps. These original gaskets will probably have to be milled off. (If I ever actually have to change them . . . B) )

Yup re star pattern there and anywhere else fasteners are grouped.

"Wrench art?" I'm not smart enough to make up that sort of word wizardry. :whistle:  Got it from John Zibell.  It may or may not be original with him, but he must be smart as he's a (real) rocket scientist.  :notworthy:

I know what it means and can occasionally paint a passable picture. :sun:

As for original gaskets, amazing.  I just ordered one of these -- Motion-Pro Gasket Scraper -- because I can occasionally reuse a gasket, but mostly can't and thus worry about gouging the mating surface where the gasket residue resides.  

Bill

• Like 1