Rear brake Caliper carrier bolt rounded out

LangleyMalc

I have a 2004 Balabio with the Allen headed bolt on the rear brake Caliper carrier rounded out. (The one with the R pin in the end that anchos it to the side frame). I therefore need to get the bolt out and my immediate thoughts are:

1. Drill out the head and then pull off with rear wheel and then remove body of bolt and replace. 
2. drill a hole into the bolt head down the Allen hole and try to use an “easy out”. I have used them before, but think the probability of success is low. 
3. weld a nut to the top of the bolt and then turn out the resulting mess. 

I could use some advice here, as I  can’t be the first person with this problem, so what is the preferred method and finally where do  as I get a replacement bolt or is there an alternative?

thanks.

LangleyMalc

2004 Balabio and 2014 Cali 1400

12 minutes ago, LangleyMalc said:

I have a 2004 Balabio with the Allen headed bolt on the rear brake Caliper carrier rounded out. (The one with the R pin in the end that anchos it to the side frame). I therefore need to get the bolt out and my immediate thoughts are:

1. Drill out the head and then pull off with rear wheel and then remove body of bolt and replace. 
2. drill a hole into the bolt head down the Allen hole and try to use an “easy out”. I have used them before, but think the probability of success is low. 
3. weld a nut to the top of the bolt and then turn out the resulting mess. 

I could use some advice here, as I  can’t be the first person with this problem, so what is the preferred method and finally where do  as I get a replacement bolt or is there an alternative?

thanks.

LangleyMalc

2004 Balabio and 2014 Cali 1400

Carefully drill the head off the cap screw,loosen and remove the other caliper mount bolt. Remove the rear wheel, pull the caliper off and use multi grips to extract the bolt with the head drilled off. Apply some heat and or penetrating oil if necessary.

Ciao

Hi Phil,

thanks for the suggestion. 
The bolt in question is the one that stops the brake Caliper carrier rotating ny fixing the carrier to the frame. Assuming I drill off the head, will the rear wheel come out it the rest of the bolt is still in the frame, so the carrier won’t rotate?

i will also probably have to remove the Caliper from the carrier to get some wiggle room before removing the axle bolt and thus getting out the rear wheel!

I think you mean the bolt that goes through the swingarm to the caliper carrier. I bought one of those a while back through Harpers. Check their website - they have a very nice way to find the part numbers. Since you're a newbie to this site, here is the link to the diagram (I think the bolt in question is part number 34 in the diagram, and Moto Guzzi part number 01638630.

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-lookup/2000-2009-moto-guzzis/v-11-cafe-ballabio-1100-2003-2005/rear-brake-system-en-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12.html

Thanks for the diagram. You are correct,  The bolt is #34 in that diagram 01638630 and it must me made of unobtainium as it is priced at $46.90, plus shipping!

ah well the joys of Guzzi ownership. 
Thanks guys I will report results. 

FYI - the earlier models had a shorter bolt that does not go all the way through and does not require a retaining pin. I probably have one of those - if I do, it's for sale cheap. You lose the extra safety of the retaining pin and there have been a few cases of the bolt going AWOL and the caliper taking a short journey around the axle. But you can use a bit of mild loctite and you can get the carrier off without even removing the shorter bolt. Hit me up on a private message if you want me to dig in the stash for the bolt. You may as well get an "unbreakable" shift spring too - I've got a big pile of those.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LangleyMalc said:

Hi Phil,

thanks for the suggestion. 
The bolt in question is the one that stops the brake Caliper carrier rotating ny fixing the carrier to the frame. Assuming I drill off the head, will the rear wheel come out it the rest of the bolt is still in the frame, so the carrier won’t rotate?

i will also probably have to remove the Caliper from the carrier to get some wiggle room before removing the axle bolt and thus getting out the rear wheel!

Sorry about that mine doesn't have the pin so I ignored that bit:)

Ciao

I have the shorter, non-pinned bolt and never take it loose. Even with the through-bolt, you should be able to support the bike and chock the rear wheel, retract (or remove) the axle, then rotate the caliper and slide it off the small block that swivels on the bolt in question.

At this point, you could get locking pliers on the inboard extension of the bolt and spin it out of the swingarm.  (Make sure a suitable replacement is on hand, of course.)

Correct me if this will not work on the later V11s with the longer bolt . . .

So the bolt is out.

I removed the Caliper and put a wood chock between the pads. I then Pulled to the rear axle, having had to make a large Allen key using a bolt welded to the same bar that has my oil filter dustbin lid nut welded to it; ( now a multi purpose Guzzi tool).  At this point the Caliper carrier would rotate and I could remove it and the block leaving the bolt. However the rea tyre still fouled the bolt so it had to come out. 
so then drilled. a larger hole in the head of the bolt into which I could force a 13mm short bolt. Then welded the bolt shank to the head of the offending through bolt (carefully - the 13mm bolt gave me more space to weld to the through bolt head- I am not that good a welder).  The welding puts heat into the through bolt, so I then sprayed on more PB fluid, tapped the end of the 13mm bolt to loosen and finally removed it as the bolt cooled. See below

• Like 2