Liquid cooled new engine for V11

Moto Americano

My name is Gil and I split my time between Santa Barbara, Monterey, and San Jose areas.

My good friend Steve has a brand new engine under development for a Moto Guzzi. 34 pounds lighter than stock and shorter which allows the radiator. As you can see exhaust is below and throttle bodies are under tank.

He is in the final stages of installing the fuel injection mapping computer and it bis now ver close to being ready for a test drive. The first time Steve showed the bike in public was April 2015 at the European Motorcycle show at Santa Clara County Fairgrounds.

For detailed information about the engine and project at that time see this post we made at wildguzzi: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75608.0

Steve showed the bike and a display cutaway engine at the Quail show in May 2018. It had everything except the fuel delivery system. Steve's goal is to show a running bike at Quail 2020. Here's some photos from the Quail 2018 show:

IMG_5883.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh-In, "Verrrrrrrrry interesting..." I hope he can patent the engineering. 2-valve? 4-valve? Low-cam or high cam? Lotsa' questions will be posed. It seems to be a very natural progression in development, as the engine has tons of room for updating.  Now, to sell the package to Paiggio...

An idea: If you use the excellent, forum-member-developed image hosting site imgzeit, it is ultra easy to post large, hi-res pics. Just a thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, po18guy said:

As Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh-In, "Verrrrrrrrry interesting..." I hope he can patent the engineering. 2-valve? 4-valve? Low-cam or high cam? Lotsa' questions will be posed. It seems to be a very natural progression in development, as the engine has tons of room for updating.  Now, to sell the package to Paiggio...

An idea: If you use the excellent, forum-member-developed image hosting site Imgzeit, it is ultra easy to post large, hi-res pics. Just a thought.

For detailed information about the engine and project see this post we made at wildguzzi: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75608.0

• Like 1

My bad. I browsed it, as my eyes are still mid-coffee blurry. Anyway, I see the variations. But, is the engine reversible? I note both cam forward and cam rearward versions. Is there a secondary vibration balance shaft in the V? Development and financing musty be a tremendous challenge, as Motus, Fischer et al found out.

14 minutes ago, Moto Americano said:

For detailed information about the engine and project see this post we made at wildguzzi: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75608.0

Engine is not reversible but it does have timing chains located on opposite sides. Here's a photo of the twin cam cutaway display engine as seen from the front. As explained at wildguzzi the engine is designed to be modular and can be a range of displacements in either single or twin cam head versions. There is also a supercharged version. This engine is notn really a Guzzi only project. The Guzzi V11 is just one application. The engine is also installed in a Porsche speedster replica for test drive purposes. There have been several companies interested mainly for use in hybrid vehicles. As I recall I found our V11 test mule on this very forum!

IMG_5890.JPG

• Like 1

I see the dual cam drives now. The remainder of my post is pure editorializing. Too bad Motus (R.I.P.) did not take this route. They "could have", Rotax-like, sold their engines to various boutique manufacturers and perhaps stayed in production. I wish the engineers, designers and financiers in this project all the vision, prudence and luck in the world, but these advanced, expensive (idiosyncratic) concepts have a really rough road ahead. Frankly, it has been enough trouble for Guzzi to simply make Guzzis.

I would absolutely love to be proved wrong and hope to live long enough to see it blossom.  

• Like 1

I saw the bike at the 2018 Quail and was intrigued by it. It's been discussed here before. Interesting stuff.

44 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Too bad Motus (R.I.P.) did not take this route. They "could have", Rotax-like, sold their engines to various boutique manufacturers and perhaps stayed in production.

Motus was selling their engines for other applications.

• Like 1

Wow, Gil! This is awesome! Thanks, dearly, for sharing this with us! The motor in the Porsche sounds GLORIOUS!

Keep it coming, buddy! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Surj said:

I saw the bike at the 2018 Quail and was intrigued by it. It's been discussed here before. Interesting stuff.

Motus was selling their engines for other applications.

I am guessing that individual cost was prohibitive. They may have lost money on each unit. As to this new motor, the strengths and weaknesses of the Guzzi trans will make themselves known. Sooner than later, as 125-140HP or more would be the  rough equivalent of racing use.

5 hours ago, Moto Americano said:

Here is a video of one of these engines being test driven in a Porsche Speedster replica:

Hard to believe that's not Jay Leno driving! Just engineer a little more valve clatter in and it'll be gennie Guzzi.