Tom in Virginia

As researched previously here on V11 site for issues with a 3000 RPM spit/cough thru left side intake, I decided this the best avenue to chase this steadily worsening condition.  I completed removal of exhaust system, headers back to mufflers.  As part of the process. I cleaned all SS with Barkeeper's Friend cleaner/polish, inspected weld joints, Loctite'd fasteners on hangers and reassembled using new "metal-icized" exhaust gaskets from MG Cycle.  As you can see in picture I have the crossover in system just in front of the alternator cover.  Using care during reassembly to preclude any new leaks, and leaving everything slightly loose to obtain best fit and maintain clearances with the engine and frame, I completed reassembly without any issues. 

After a test ride of about 45 minutes I was able to confirm that the exhaust leaks were the cause of the 3000 RPM cough/spit I had experienced over the last year or so.  Thanks to the various topics posted on this forum, I am glad to report that my red stallion has returned to the road in excellent running condition. 

(As a side note, after much disappointing experience with speedo/tach service with Seattle Speedo, and being scammed for $587.76, I replaced my speedo with a new KPH unit from LMT  and can again track speed and mileage to maintain scheduled maintenance intervals).

Image available at https://ibb.co/7yKrMcp

Edited by Tom in Virginia
identify image link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1