V11 values. Wishful thinking ???

driver

Just saw this listing on EBay Uk for a 94 Scura. 

Listing number/::   174124724816

Strikes me as being a bit over the top, what do you guys think? 

Ciao Ciao K

😎😎😎. 

It’s difficult to measure desirability when the market is limited for these bikes in comparison to the more mainstream stuff. We are a dedicated bunch of course and we always give a V11 a real second look something like a pretty girl that catches our eye !!!

Over here in euro land I would say around 5k but it must surely depend on who’s been hanging out for a smart and low miler V11 and then it becomes more desirable. I’m recently back from a trip to Vietnam where the offer price is %50 of the asking price to start with. But even with that it’s way off the mark.

I remember buying a bike for Margaret( the boss)in Stafford a few years ago where the asking was bonkers. The dealer got really insulted  when I offered %50, I thought he was going to go ballistic !!!  But I did get the bike ! 

Ciao Ciao K

😎😎😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to say, I'm still looking for an 03-04 lower mileage black V11 LeMans, or Nero Corsa in the US.  Would be happy to pay $5500 for the LeMans and $7500 for the Nero Corsa.

Like anything Italian their value will plummet and the rise and keep rising. I notice the V11 on the up. 4 years ago an 02 LeMans could be had anywhere from $3500-$5000. Now that same bike is around $6000-$8000. 

But I swear some of these people out there are either misinformed or high... 4Corsa is pretty accurate. 

Can you back that up with any statistics? One or two sales for $6-8,000 does not mean the value is on the rise.. I believe the 02ish 
Plain Jane Lemans still around $3500 in value.. ( in the US) and it will be a long time if ever that they go up in value.

• Like 1

I keep a pretty good eye on the guzzis for sale in Ontario and Quebec and occasionally the rest of Canada.

There have never been a lot of them available for sale, but I notice that the V11's in it's various models are definitely trending upward.

I used to see them in the $3-4-5K range, now I'm seeing them in the $6-8K range and recently there was a basically stock Scura without the clutch fix asking $10K.

Those are Canadian Dollar prices, which I would normally figure to be roughly 30% higher than US prices, fwiw.

Kelly

• Like 1

"Scura" means dark. Red is not dark. And, since when does a 2004 have a chin pad tank? Imported from Japan, I think something was lost (gained?) in the translation.

The seller is ExtremeTradingLTD. It makes me think this is a shady deal. I would imagine they imported it from Japan to escape its past.

As mentioned, it clearly isn't an original Scura. The question is, why? Is it just the wrong gas tank? Or is there more...

I wonder what the VIN says. I wonder if it is a salvage / crashed bike.

That is crazy money in my opinion. V11's are not common, but there aren't a lot of people looking to but them either. Being uncommon alone doesn't make it valuable. It also needs people who want to buy one.

Either way, I hope it gets a good owner that shows up here.

Wealthy Japanese have an intense interest in things Italian. With all of the trouble taken to purchase and import it, there is certainly reason to question why it was then sold back out of Japan, and not to another Japanese resident.

18 hours ago, po18guy said:

Wealthy Japanese have an intense interest in things Italian. With all of the trouble taken to purchase and import it, there is certainly reason to question why it was then sold back out of Japan, and not to another Japanese resident.

I have no personal knowledge of this, fact or fiction I don't know, but it "could" be an explanation.

My father had told me many decades ago that Japan had very strict regulations on the age of vehicles allowed to be registered for use on their roads. After only a few "X" number of years you could no longer register your vehicle for use on a public road legally and it was essentially worthless and usually scrapped.

Apparently this policy ensured that the fledgling Japanese auto industry would always have customers at home looking to buy new cars, and less vehicle emissions would ensure a better air quality for the relatively small land mass of Japan.

Since the global markets have opened up and the Japanese Auto industry is the  worldwide power that it is, I have no idea if a policy like this is still in effect, but it could be an explanation.

fwiw

Kelly

I picked up the idea from magazine content such as Cycle World, Cycle, Car and Driver, etc. in the 80s and onward.  From the interwebz:

"Three years after purchase, every new car has to go through an expensive inspection process, and once every two years after that. Furthermore, vehicles older than 10 years have to pass the inspection every year. As a result, most car owners in Japan write off their cars after 10 years and buy new ones.Jun 14, 1998"

Collector motorcycles? Nothing that I could find after searching several ways.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

I picked up the idea from magazine content such as Cycle World, Cycle, Car and Driver, etc. in the 80s and onward.  From the interwebz:

"Three years after purchase, every new car has to go through an expensive inspection process, and once every two years after that. Furthermore, vehicles older than 10 years have to pass the inspection every year. As a result, most car owners in Japan write off their cars after 10 years and buy new ones.Jun 14, 1998"

Collector motorcycles? Nothing that I could find after searching several ways.

If you live in NSW Australia after 3 years from new every vehicle needs to have a roadworthy inspection every year including a braking efficiency test. Its a real PITA.

Ciao

Where I live, we use the agricultural vehicle or cast-off mining equipment standard of condition for our highway vehicles...

How else would I be allowed to register my funky, old Sport? :blink:

• Like 1