MGS01 Article (transposed from italian)

knumbnutz

Indeed, a marvelous, almost mystical, if not mythical machine. Ah, if only it was a review of the road-legal version...

However, for a mere $55K, one can be had here in Seattle. https://seattleusedbikes.com/pre-owned-motos-and-gear/?&SingleProduct=40

Wow, knumbnutz, thanks for taking time to post the article with those individual panels! Made it a delight to read and zoom in on the fabulous images.

And if I am reading correctly (and the translation is correct), as meticulous as the Guareschi were, they only lightened the MGS-01 5,5 kg/ 12 pounds? Seems the wheel change alone would have been greater than that (?)

• Like 1

Oh yeah. 5-6K in the canyons..:thumbsup: Careful, now..:oldgit:be *very* smooth with the throttle as you add it through the turn. Whew! These things sound amazing..

Chuck, Deacon

Church of Guzzi

• Like 3

A couple of nice points I took away from the article-

Swapping the helical gears in the gearbox for straight cut. Cam is good enough for racing. Valvetrain weakest link. Almost 140hp at around 8500rpm was enough to win against more powerful or lighter bikes because of the power delivery/torque curve. Ride it a different way to get the most out of it (in racing).

One of the most interesting features I gathered from the article is the lack of drag in the drivetrain compared to a chain drive. 

Always good to hear from a racer that competed on a budget DIY bike and came up against the odds - a winner. It's a marvelous achievement and one of the admirable features that I loved in the Britten story.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

A couple of nice points I took away from the article-

Swapping the helical gears in the gearbox for straight cut. Cam is good enough for racing. Valvetrain weakest link. Almost 140hp at around 8500rpm was enough to win against more powerful or lighter bikes because of the power delivery/torque curve. Ride it a different way to get the most out of it (in racing).

One of the most interesting features I gathered from the article is the lack of drag in the drivetrain compared to a chain drive. 

Always good to hear from a racer that competed on a budget DIY bike and came up against the odds - a winner. It's a marvelous achievement and one of the admirable features that I loved in the Britten story.

You need to read this sort of article with a large dose of Lambrusco. The MGS-01 for instance doesn't use any helical gears in the std gearbox anywhere, just like the V11 gearbox its derived from. A chain has less losses than a shaft and bevel gear assembly no matter what Gianfranco says.  

Its a bit like the Britten story, somewhat larger than the actuality. I love the Britten and its genius creator but the reality is in the cold hard light of day it was slower in lap times than a 600 Supersport of its day.

Ciao