Mike’s machines choober!

stewgnu

Interesting video's. I'm always amazed that people will go to the trouble and expense of investing in something like a K-line kit and then not spend the $25 on a cheap air driven impact gun to drive the liners and the sizing arbours. Hammering them in and the arbours through with a lump hammer is silly. All that stuff bouncing around on the bench etc and the fact that one of the reasons you use a 4000 bpm driver is so the sizing process is fast and fluid and produces a uniform ID not a stop start irregular interior. Its way easier with the impact driver believe me.

Also why dont people spend a little time making a simple jig or cradle from wood to hold the component, head in this case to the bench so when you're doing this sort of work you're not chasing it all over the place and watching it wobble around while finish reaming. 

I made up my own simple cutter to trim the liner which worked fine. I'm not actually convinced that the K-line reamer is compatible with the guide material Guzzi use as I see he has the same trouble with the process as I did. Surprisingly hard to ream the guides. I have since found out that Kibblewhite have 2 types of reams for the different types of guide material they sell and the reamers shouldnt be used on the wrong type.

Ciao   

• Like 2

There is nothing like a good fixture, wood, metal, what-have-you, that will hold the work piece! No drill chattering, no dancing as  Phil stated. All of the force used is put into fitting the guide, not moving the head whilst placing the guide. A lot of lost motion and wasted effort. I mean, how difficult is it to run 4 carriage bolts up through a scrap of plywood to hold the head still?