Ducati Clutch Repair Question

Kane

I hope it’s okay to ask a question about Ducatis here. I know this is a Guzzi forum, but you guys are so cool and smart about everything I though I’d ask. There is a ‘99 Ducati ST2 for sale cheap in my area, but it needs a new clutch. The bike has 32K miles on it. Is this unusual at this type of mileage, or does that sound about right for a Ducati clutch? It’s a dry clutch. Also, is this an easy fix for a dummy with a box of hand tools, or what would a shop charge for putting in a new dry clutch?

Thank you!

Phil, I see from your profile that you have a Ducati ST2. How is 1999 for the ST2? I have read that the early ones had electrical and alternator problems.......do you know if this was better by ‘99? Any particulars for this year/model?

FWIW - all the Ducati STs are cheap. I just sold an ST3 in very nice condition for a bit less than my $2,750 asking price (and after a long time progressively dropping the price in the ad). It was a 2004, which I think is the last year of the dry clutch on that model. The ST3 is more powerful and more refined than the ST2.

I'd certainly rather spend a few hours replacing a Ducati clutch than a few days doing a Moto Guzzi clutch. And with a dry clutch, you can get fancy stuff and a vented cover so it always sounds like your bike is about to frag itself.

The Ducati desmodue/desmotre Maintenance and Modification Guide, by LT Snyder is a good investment if you decide to get one of these bikes. But it does not cover the desmoquattro (the engine in the ST4).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

Phil, I see from your profile that you have a Ducati ST2. How is 1999 for the ST2? I have read that the early ones had electrical and alternator problems.......do you know if this was better by ‘99? Any particulars for this year/model?

I must update that profile,I sold the ST 3 years ago. I think you'll find the electrics to be fine on the ST although they may have gone to a 3 phase alternator at some point, not sure. The only negative with the ST2 was getting the fairings on and off,a total PITA and the battery resided under them.The ST2 is a better bet than the ST4 for most people though as the maintenance is far easier.

The Ducati dry clutch I've been working on for 35 years. The good thing about them is they are simple and easy to access, parts are relatively cheap and the tooling pretty basic ( there is a nylon clutch holding tool you can buy on ebay cheap from memory. I have one and it holds the basket and the hub). You will need a new basket (get an aftermarket alloy one) and the outer part of the hub where the steel plates ride on the splines and a set of steel and friction plates. The hub nut is fairly tight so you need 1/2 inch drive and a rattle gun comes in handy for the basket bolts.  

Look at the main seal for leakage ( they are pretty good) and you need to use thread sealer on the basket bolts so they dont leak oil. Look at the bearing in the pressure plate as well 

Ciao    

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty standard for an ST2. Baskets wear on the spines and the rattling and gear shifts get worse. 

Barnett do a longer lasting clutch basket and plates to match. On the barnett clutch they have a stainless steel covers over the wearing areas and this helps make them last longer.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this great information and advice. I really appreciate it. I’m going to check it out soon, as soon as the seller and myself can find a time to meet from his busy schedule.

Scud, I was following your ST3 and was hoping to get enough money together to check it out, but alas it was gone like a Christmas snowfall. 

This one is going for $1500 with the worn clutch....not too bad a gamble, but I have yet to see it in person. I’ll keep you all posted!

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks very much for this great information and advice. I really appreciate it. I’m going to check it out soon, as soon as the seller and myself can find a time to meet from his busy schedule.

Scud, I was following your ST3 and was hoping to get enough money together to check it out, but alas it was gone like a Christmas snowfall. 

This one is going for $1500 with the worn clutch....not too bad a gamble, but I have yet to see it in person. I’ll keep you all posted!

The Clutch is one thing. ask when it was last serviced - tappets, belts, air filter oil etc. Not sure how much that costs in the states, but in Aus - that would be the cost of the bike.

$300 for a basket, $150 for clutch plates, 500 for someone to do the tappets (plus 60 per tappet part), 120+ for the belts,  oils/filters $150. Plus some labour costs excluding tappets already allowed for. Then theres also chain, sprockets, tyres - potentially $600 there. 

Thats just standard service and wear items. If anything needs repair then add that into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I hope it’s okay to ask a question about Ducatis here. I know this is a Guzzi forum, but you guys are so cool and smart about everything I though I’d ask.

No foul, all good to post technical questions. Obviously, the willing expertise here is vast. :nerd:  :luigi:  :thumbsup:

Yet, as this is not a V11 topic, look for it to move to a non-V11 subforum.

Don't hate the moderator, but that will be Special place for banter and other silly remarks, "Everything non-Guzzi and Redneck trashtalk." :huh: