My First Oil Leak

Nihontochicken

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

The Kid saved an early 1100 Spot a few years ago. For it's "shake down" run we rode to the Carolinas and camped/moteled for a week. It was the first time he really rode it in anger :rasta: and it sucked the valve cover gasket inward. Cost him a t shirt to do a field repair at camp. When I asked Pete about it, he said that was common with the "factory" gaskets. You can see where it is sucked in between the bottom two screws.

35055376046_a21e3fdba4_h.jpg2017-06-04_01-30-18 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Hey Chuck, probably a bit of an obvious question but how does the old sport compare to riding a v11?  Too similar to warrant having both in the garage?

46 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

Hey Chuck, probably a bit of an obvious question but how does the old sport compare to riding a v11?  Too similar to warrant having both in the garage?

How old are you, what is your physique and how good is your medical insurance cover for physiotherapy and spinal treatments!

:grin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

How old are you, what is your physique and how good is your medical insurance cover for physiotherapy and spinal treatments!

:grin:

Ahh, for supple gibbons only

• Haha 1

I've ridden it some, and it's fine as long as you aren't in town. Then.. it becomes a torture rack.:D *Very* heavy clutch pull and not a lot of steering lock. My take? It's a very elemental machine. If operating something like that floats your boat, (yep :rasta:) there's nothing better. Definitely not a rookie rider's bike at all.

The Kid says, "I love love love it out on the road. It's the best credit card touring bike ever made."

"I hate hate hate it in town, parking, and moving it around in the garage.."

MGCycle doesn't refer to Valpolini, but these fit the "metal core with coating" description ....

They don't list one for V11 but will these work for V11? http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_174&products_id=4634

Possibly they want to unload their paper gaskets first:huh2:Idk.

Timing cover for V11...

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_174&products_id=5044

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

I've ridden it some, and it's fine as long as you aren't in town. Then.. it becomes a torture rack.:D *Very* heavy clutch pull and not a lot of steering lock. My take? It's a very elemental machine. If operating something like that floats your boat, (yep :rasta:) there's nothing better. Definitely not a rookie rider's bike at all.

The Kid says, "I love love love it out on the road. It's the best credit card touring bike ever made."

"I hate hate hate it in town, parking, and moving it around in the garage.."

My friend’s v7 has a dreadful heavy clutch.  I don’t know how she manages- I’m a plasterer and my grip is akin to he-man’s big brother’s, but I was irritated by it.

The v11’s clutch is an absolute beaut, I have no complaints there!

On 1/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, docc said:

Check, also, the O-ring and seal the mating surface of the distributor blanking plate . . .

You can always clean it all up and apply a coating of foot powder to see what gets discolored first.

Docc, where’s the ‘distributor blanking plate’?

17 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

Docc, where’s the ‘distributor blanking plate’?

Top, rear, right of the engine block inboard of the right cylinder.

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

MGCycle doesn't refer to Valpolini, but these fit the "metal core with coating" description ....

They don't list one for V11 but will these work for V11? http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_174&products_id=4634

Possibly they want to unload their paper gaskets first:huh2:Idk.

Timing cover for V11...

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_174&products_id=5044

Yes they will fit. My bike has Grisso 2 valve rocker covers. As will the front timing cover gasket which I have also used on my engines both the V11 and the Daytona.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, Nihontochicken said:

Thanks for the responses so far.  Again, are all the cover bolts supposed to be the same size, and do any/all utilize washers?  Inquiring minds want to know!  B)

As docc says, all same ... at least when your Guzzi was crated in Mandello.

Well, unless assembled after a grappa break! :drink::whistle:

You might find the AWOL original fastener (and other items) in the "cleavage" between the jugs!  I lost one or two of the upper ones and found 'em later loitering there.  ;)

1921!

Bill

• Haha 1

Replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday with a cheap and simple greenie item available off eBay.  Test ride today indicates the oil boundary is holding.  Will see what a few more miles and heat cycles do.  As mentioned in another thread, most time was taken by cleaning off remnants of the old gasket.  Didn't the Japanese solve the problem of engine oil leaks about fifty years ago?   ;)

• Haha 1