False Neutrals

cash1000

On a ride with a few of the local Guzzi guys on Sunday I noticed I was getting a lot of false neutrals.

When I went to reengage gear it was with a load grunch and then gear would be engaged but  it had shifted 2 gears i.e. 5 to 3 or 2 to 4.

This was happening either shifting up or down. Most gear shifts are happening like this. When taking of from standstill clutch engages fine. Gear shift linkage appears to be fine. 

I put bike on workshop stand and tried to shift gears with motor not going. It would only select 1st. With motor going shifting up and down gears was fine.

Bike is a 2001 V11 Rosso Mandello with original Ram clutch 65,000 ks. Oils changed 5,000 ks ago 

Any thoughts on what cause of problem could be?

Get rid of that clutch for starters and pull the selector plate off the gearbox and have a look at the springs. The crunching is a by product of miss selection and too much difference in the relative gear rotational speed.

Bite the bullet and ditch the clutch though, the risk of an exploding flywheel is too great. Its not like when they fail you just get a bit of clutch slip,what you can get is half the engine/gearbox  taken out if it lets go. Then you may as well scrap the entire bike. MG cycle sells a replacement steel single plater.

Ciao

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Sounds like the spring on the detente roller either has, or is about to, shit the bed.

Kinda sounds like it Pete but they are usually pretty reliable aren't they?

Ciao 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Kinda sounds like it Pete but they are usually pretty reliable aren't they?

Ciao 

That's a fair question.

That is exactly how my Sport started behaving when the early gearbox recall faults became obvious.

Were any of the Rosso Mandello in the early gearbox recall? (680 V11 through April 2001 and VIN ending 11M114435):

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Thanks guys for the input

The link to the recall notices is unavailable but found it here https://www.webbikeworld.com/moto-guzzi-v11-sport-recall/

Will follow up on it and report back

I guess those are, technically, not links but .pdf that get downloaded and displayed in Adobe Acrobat.

If your build date and VIN are in that sequence, no amount of putzing around will fix it if the recall has not been performed. Pretty sure Piaggio has to reply to your inquiry about the recall status of your V11 if it is in that recall.

Thanks for letting us know! Otherwise, addressing the shifter plate/springs and replacing that flywheel is really good, seasoned advice.

(Oh! Look at who I get to call "seasoned" :oldgit::oldgit: . . . . ;)  )

47 minutes ago, docc said:

I guess those are, technically, not links but .pdf that get downloaded and displayed in Adobe Acrobat.

If your build date and VIN are in that sequence, no amount of putzing around will fix it if the recall has not been performed. Pretty sure Piaggio has to reply to your inquiry about the recall status of your V11 if it is in that recall.

Thanks for letting us know! Otherwise, addressing the shifter plate/springs and replacing that flywheel is really good, seasoned advice.

(Oh! Look at who I get to call "seasoned" :oldgit::oldgit: . . . . ;)  )

I feel seasoned ,that's for sure. If you want to see how to lets say mature with style check out this story on Mal Campbell ( its from 8 years ago but interesting none the less). I caught up with him as usual at the Phillip Island classic last weekend and he's still mighty fast on his RC30 Honda Superbike. I didn't get a chance to get the watch on him but from memory last year he was doing 1:41's and still looks as fast. The quickest he's ever been around PI was in the 1:36's when we did the 98 world supers. So that was 22 years ago on a faster bike, impressive. Don't want to do a disservice to Mal but he's a bit older than me and I'm 61. Love seeing the older racers still getting around quick and he looks totally safe and smooth.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/05/interview-mal-campbell/

Ciao

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

With a little help from MartyNZ I have solved my gear box problem. The cause was a peg that had fallen out of the gearbox selection panel. When I took the panel off I found the peg in the bottom of the gearbox. It had fallen out of the hole that's indented it the middle the panel. Thankfully it had not caused any damage to the gears. After we had checked there was nothing else wrong with the panel we hammered the peg back into the panel after coating it with medium Loctite. I see later model V11’s have a nut & bolt to replace the peg. I presume that someone else had this problem. Anyway bike changes gear fine now. I checked the frame number and its within the range that its it eligible for the transmission upgrade. I need to follow up on this. 

20200201_131332.jpg

20200130_164539.jpg

20200201_131309.jpg

20200201_131221.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

With a little help from MartyNZ I have solved my gear box problem. The cause was a peg that had fallen out of the gearbox selection panel. When I took the panel off I found the peg in the bottom of the gearbox. It had fallen out of the hole that's indented it the middle the panel. Thankfully it had not caused any damage to the gears. After we had checked there was nothing else wrong with the panel we hammered the peg back into the panel after coating it with medium Loctite. I see later model V11’s have a nut & bolt to replace the peg. I presume that someone else had this problem. Anyway bike changes gear fine now. I checked the frame number and its within the range that its it eligible for the transmission upgrade. I need to follow up on this. 

20200201_131332.jpg

20200130_164539.jpg

20200201_131309.jpg

20200201_131221.jpg

Later bikes have an eccentric adjuster instead of the roll pin. Cant really see it makes any difference to shift action unless you have the adjustment wrong.

Early recall transmissions needed upgraded selector sleeves and belville washers on the output shaft damper.

Acquiring the parts may be an issue these days if it hasn't been done and the entire trans need to be disassembled.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bastiaan Sponton said:

The next service interval i will check the pin, if its moved I will order a new pin or do a modification. 

Green or red loctite is your friend in this matter.

Ciao

• Like 2