False Neutrals

cash1000

Mine is doing the same thing now.  It will get a false neutral shifting 2-3 and 3-4.  When I kick it again, it jerks and moves a gear higher than it should.

If I don't use the clutch it's usually fine.  I thought there was an external adjuster on it but if there is  I can't figure it out.  It has a the extender piece on the shifter too. 

Downshifting is no problem.  

Simple stuff first? Fettle, tighten, shim, clean, lube, and adjust the foot lever mechanism and its connecting rod, "Heim/ Rose" joints, and lock-nut on the pivot shaft. The whole Rube Goldberg affair can get loose in eight (8!) places. Make sure the "pawl arms" stay parallel.

DSCN1241.JPG

Next, fresh fluid for the clutch.

Then on to the other likely culprits. (For sure, your early sport has had the Gearbox Recall performed?)

46 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Mine is doing the same thing now.  It will get a false neutral shifting 2-3 and 3-4.  When I kick it again, it jerks and moves a gear higher than it should.

If I don't use the clutch it's usually fine.  I thought there was an external adjuster on it but if there is  I can't figure it out.  It has a the extender piece on the shifter too. 

Dont even think about adjusting this on the bike,its a bench job. Docc is correct of course about the simple stuff but it may be a shifter plate off for a look see for you.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No use worrying over what's next before doing what's first. :luigi:

Removing and replacing the shift plate is not horrible. (A lift makes this much more pleasant!) I have had more than one V11 over that the external mechanism had just rattled itself apart and loosened up over time. Something between the vibration, exhaust heat, road spray down there, and being continually kicked (literally!) up and down.

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Problem solved . Use the clutch to take off & TCB !

I miss a shift now and again. Usually just poor form on my part. If it does it repeatedly then try the simple stuff first.

OK, I took the bike out today and it shifted great, almost like butta.   Only had one missed shift which is better than normal.  I was out taking photos and one time the dang starter would kick, I shook it and wound right up.  <duh>

So whatever un-indexed in the tranny is now re-indexed (for now).   It was a little bit cooler day but I still wound it up daring it to miss a shift and nothin' but good.  The poor bike is due a once over, valve adjustment and a fluid change.  We'll see what's up.

:whistle:

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Bastiaan Sponton said:

Second time the pin came out. I ordered the modification, see photo. Drilled a hol, put it in. Problem solved. It shifts better to, due the advantage of adjust. emoji106.png one happy biker.
6c097442f2a77bf70a9dd69b0a9a174d.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Where does that go? I am not familiar

• 3 years later...
On 1/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, LowRyter said:

Guzzi Trannies have a crunchy shift from 2nd to 3rd.  Being deliberate helps but not always.

Really. Both of my six speeders have perfect shift action in all the gears.

Phil

You better be glad your bike didn't hear/see this or that V11 will shift worse than a 100cc Penton.

Edited by gstallons
Wording