Brisk spark plugs

gstallons

Has anyone on this site heard of Brisk spark plugs ? I was talking to someone @ the NAPA store yesterday and he was telling me about these  plugs from the Czech Republic that are supposed to be SUPERIOR . I'm going to search the history , etc. He said they are OEM for Lamborghini ? Not too bad .

• Like 2

Here's a little spark plug science for you;

Nology plugs

I can attest to the fact that some engines really, really hate platinum or iridium plugs; GM 2.4TC, 1990's GM 5.7 TBI. 
Every engine type and every ignition type has different requirements and peculiarities. I use NGK BPRs in my 'Guzzis.

There is rarely any magic in spark plugs; some engines hate some plugs, but as a rule if your engine isn't race-tuned, you'll never notice any difference. 

Back in racing days I did find that in an 883 H-D sportster, dual-ground strap plugs gave a hint more power and covered up a bit of rich/lean during carb transitions. That could potentially help our dinosaurs, but I've not tested it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The main advantage of the fine wire platinum plugs is longevity. Modern engines with these plugs often have change out intervals of 80,000 klms. Old style plugs wont go this sort of mileage without maintenance. Of course there's also all the other supposed advantages but for an old Guzzi engine I am happy to stick with the old style plugs.

One thing I dont like about the fine wire plugs is once they are fouled they are generally done. Almost never clear and dont respond well to cleaning either. If you do manage to recover a fouled plug they seem far more susceptible to it happening again and in a modern engine where plug access is often quite painful I just bin them and fit a new one.

Old style plugs dont seem to be an issue though, clean em up and there're good to go again.

Ciao 

• Like 2

I have watched 'miracle' spark plugs come and go over the decades. From the 1960s J.C. Whitney 'Fire Injectors' to multi electrode, surface gap (was good in old-school 2-strokes), rare element metals to every manner of improving the mousetrap. In the late 60s, friends and I added all of the J.C.Whitney claims for their catalog gizmos and doo-dads when added to an air-cooled VW bug. We ended up with something like 400HP. For less than $200. Then we wondered where skepticism comes from...

The Iridium plug with narrow ground electrode and fine center wire strikes me as being as good as we will get using electrical discharge technology. Better wires help, but better coils will probably do more than that. All three in combination would be the best, as the OEM components are always tilting toward the cost accountants.

With the V11, we are talking early aviation combustion chamber tech. Air cooling. Wide valve angle. Heavily domed pistons. Limited compression ratios - especially with what passes for gasoline/petrol these days. Dual plugs help with such a large chamber, but it is the basic design that is the primary limiting factor.

• Like 2