Ballabio fairing vibration

brenwin

My Ballabio bikini fairing has a nasty sound to it from vibration so I’m taking it off and will check it out . Tightening the shield might of cracked the plastic . If anyone has been through this would sure appreciate any suggestions to remediate . Sorry for no pic , one day I will get the software figured out . Thanks  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenwin said:

Sorry for the double post 

All good. Fixed it for ya, buddy. Wish I had the answer for your fairing noise. Have you tried putting a hand on it in various places to see if it damps the noise?

• Haha 1

You’re not alone brenwin - mine does that too just at some specific lower rev range that I can’t recall off the top of my head 

On some ride I got a bit pissed with it & a bit curious so I stuffed my little green mouldable earplugs on either side of headlight to see if it would dampen it

What was meant to be a temporary fix worked out so well I just left it at that

My riding buddy thinks it looks like two little radar detector probes scanning for cops ahead

Seems to work at the pace we go - & those vibes are gone too

You may well find a better /permanent /professional /helpful solution 

• Like 1

My fairing had some buzzing when I first installed it. I added some foam door sealer around the headlight where the fairing & trim ring touch. Then 2mm neoprene pads between the supports, brackets & the fairing. That cured it for me 

• Like 1

Some Ballabio tips: There are/were/supposed to be thin rubber washers between the aluminum mount and the fairing. To preserve the fairing paint, some washers between the headlight mount bolts and the fairing are a good idea. Hardware store stuff. Also, thin rubber washers that will fit between headlight shell and fairing mount will help keep the headlight adjustment where you put it. Make sure the upper fairing mount is tight both at its lower end on the fairing stay, as well as at the windshield bolts. Some small thin rubber washers between the upper mount and the fairing/windshield bolts will help there, as well. For that matter, thin rubber washers (or a perimeter rubber strip made from a bicycle inner tube) between the windshield and the fairing will also quell some of the shakes. Speaking of the shakes...

When you are dealing with a bike that has more shakes than Joe Walsh on a bender, you have to take some steps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are great , some good suggestions here . One thing that has reduced overall vibration was syncing the final drive . Must of been messed with before I purchased the bike but found it while doing some  preventative maintenance . 
Thanks for the advice and glad I’m not alone in this .   

1 hour ago, nobleswood said:

My fairing had some buzzing when I first installed it. I added some foam door sealer around the headlight where the fairing & trim ring touch. Then 2mm neoprene pads between the supports, brackets & the fairing. That cured it for me 

The fairing opening is awfully close to the diameter of the headlight ring and the slightest contact will transmit seemingly all of the vibes. Something on the order of neoprene or closed cell foam helps, but is often visible from the front. There is a thin foam tape used for medical purposes (pharmacy/chemist/druggist) that might be run around the top of the headlight ring and trimmed so that it is not poking out like a bandage - but a band aid is what we are applying in any event.

19 hours ago, po18guy said:

The fairing opening is awfully close to the diameter of the headlight ring and the slightest contact will transmit seemingly all of the vibes. Something on the order of neoprene or closed cell foam helps, but is often visible from the front. There is a thin foam tape used for medical purposes (pharmacy/chemist/druggist) that might be run around the top of the headlight ring and trimmed so that it is not poking out like a bandage - but a band aid is what we are applying in any event.

Thanks po18guy , good to know . 

3 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Doesn't this model have flyscreen?

It does, but it is "frame mounted" (unlike the closer fork mounted flyscreens of the Sport), and mates to the later generation plastic headlamp bucket.

536.jpg?itok=DbPOnEfP

• Like 1

15 hours ago, docc said:

It does, but it is "frame mounted" (unlike the closer fork mounted flyscreens of the Sport), and mates to the later generation plastic headlamp bucket.

536.jpg?itok=DbPOnEfP

It’s amazing how this little bikini fairing blocks the wind from the head area however a little breezing around the neck .

I hope to rack up as many miles on mine as you have docc . Pretty impressive !!

thanks again for your input  👍

• Thanks 1

Hello brenwin, the fairing on my Ballabio was also vibrating at certain revs.  I also saw that the space between the fairing opening and the headlight ring was tight and that was where the vibes were coming from. I bought a piece of black fuel line hose, cut a slit in it and slipped it around the fairing opening and that did the trick for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, guzzijek said:

Hello brenwin, the fairing on my Ballabio was also vibrating at certain revs.  I also saw that the space between the fairing opening and the headlight ring was tight and that was where the vibes were coming from. I bought a piece of black fuel line hose, cut a slit in it and slipped it around the fairing opening and that did the trick for me.

I have seen some slit red fuel line and use it like you did. But I think it is vinyl tubing, rather than rubber.