Ballabio fairing vibration

brenwin

My fairing originally had a really thin rubber sleeve/tube around the opening but it tore when I took the fairing off once. The closest amd cheapest replacement was the black fuel line. It just looks a little beefier but dows the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guzzijek said:

My fairing originally had a really thin rubber sleeve/tube around the opening but it tore when I took the fairing off once. The closest amd cheapest replacement was the black fuel line. It just looks a little beefier but dows the trick.

Whatever restores the good vibes.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, guzzijek said:

Hello brenwin, the fairing on my Ballabio was also vibrating at certain revs.  I also saw that the space between the fairing opening and the headlight ring was tight and that was where the vibes were coming from. I bought a piece of black fuel line hose, cut a slit in it and slipped it around the fairing opening and that did the trick for me.

Try replacing all the rubber based fasteners. Chances are the ones on your Ballabio are as old as the bike and are needing replacement.  The guy who had my Scura used zipties on the fairing because it probably buzzed. $6 at my local Ace Hardware for new wellnuts and it was good. 

• 1 month later...

The faring ended up breaking in half were it was already cracked which was a real bummer . I took it to a local reputable body guy , had a decal made and he matched the paint beautifully . I bought a cheap piece of weather stripping at Home Depot and surrounded the headlight without it showing . Took it out today and zero vibration . Very helpful forum here and much appreciated . The ride also took my mind off all the bad news we are presently faced with . All the best and big thanks for all the suggestions . 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention: It can be critical to make certain the fairing is not pre-loaded when mounted. If the mount bolts pull it into the mount, that creates surface stress that can lead to cracks. I shimmed mine with rubber washers, so it is not sprung either out or in and has just that much more vibration dampening.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, po18guy said:

Forgot to mention: It can be critical to make certain the fairing is not pre-loaded when mounted. If the mount bolts pull it into the mount, that creates surface stress that can lead to cracks. I shimmed mine with rubber washers, so it is not sprung either out or in and has just that much more vibration dampening.

I used rubber washers all around and didn't over tighten . It is pretty thin plastic thats for sure as I found out the hard way . Second ride today and all good with not a peep from vibration after a good 2 hr ride .
Cool on the island , high of 13 C but a stiff north wind coming in off the salt chuck . Up side very little traffic . 
thanks po18guy , appreciate your input ! Cheers 🍻