Carbon front guards

knumbnutz

Hi all,

I was looking at my Cafe Sport and Griso which are nose to tail in my garage at the moment. I had a semi epiphany as it were that the ohlins carbon front guard thats on the Cafe Sport looks like it will line up perfectly with the Griso guard mounts. So then I start thinking if that is the case then other guards will fit the Griso since the Cafe Sport ohlins/Griso are fairly generic and there should be at least a Ducati and aprilia with the same setup.

But getting back to the real question, my customised V11 has a stock guard and I think that guard/mounts are only found on this bike, yes?

If this is the case, has anyone tried fitting another guard and made adapters to suit ?

I'm thinking I will get a Ducati S2R or similar guard and just make a set of adapters as they seem to be easily available CF guards...

15 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Hi all,

I was looking at my Cafe Sport and Griso which are nose to tail in my garage at the moment. I had a semi epiphany as it were that the ohlins carbon front guard thats on the Cafe Sport looks like it will line up perfectly with the Griso guard mounts. So then I start thinking if that is the case then other guards will fit the Griso since the Cafe Sport ohlins/Griso are fairly generic and there should be at least a Ducati and aprilia with the same setup.

But getting back to the real question, my customised V11 has a stock guard and I think that guard/mounts are only found on this bike, yes?

If this is the case, has anyone tried fitting another guard and made adapters to suit ?

I'm thinking I will get a Ducati S2R or similar guard and just make a set of adapters as they seem to be easily available CF guards...

Pretty much. All the V11's used the same style guard but with double mount points on the front and 1 behind the forks so 3 per leg except on the Ohlins bikes. Ohlins equipped models had the same general design but with different mounts like your bike 1 mount point front and rear.

My 1198 ohlins equipped bike has 2 mounts/side front only as does my 1000ss. The Guzzi style guard is unique and a PITA for removal and install as you need to pull the front wheel and calipers.

Ducati you can remove and install easily, 4 bolts and a brake line grommet and its off. Race bred engineering.

Ciao   

And another chance for me to mention the corrosion issue with carbon fibre and aluminium alloy.  They must not be in direct contact but well separated, preferably with electrically insulating washers etc. Otherwise those lovely Ohlin mudgaurd mounts will corrode to dust.  Carbon fibre is not plastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 68C said:

And another chance for me to mention the corrosion issue with carbon fibre and aluminium alloy.  They must not be in direct contact but well separated, preferably with electrically insulating washers etc. Otherwise those lovely Ohlin mudgaurd mounts will corrode to dust.  Carbon fibre is not plastic.

Interesting.In 35 years of mounting carbon guards to Ohlins forks I've never seen this and have never even heard of it. My bikes all have carbon parts mounted to ally everywhere, to swingarms petrol tanks exhaust systems. never had an issue. Same working on commercial jets, aluminium fitting brackets washers etc mounting carbon flight control panes etc, never had an issue. I've even had race bikes with carbon tanks with embedded aluminium fuel fittings etc without issue.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Lucky Phil,  provided your carbon fibre parts are covered in some non conductive coating, laquer etc you may get away with it. Your aircraft parts are correctly built and will have adequate bonding which will disperse any inflight static electricity and help prevent the galvanic corrosion. Raw carbon fibre in contact with al alloy in the presence of an electrolyte (dirty water) will corrode the alloy.

23 hours ago, 68C said:

Lucky Phil,  provided your carbon fibre parts are covered in some non conductive coating, laquer etc you may get away with it. Your aircraft parts are correctly built and will have adequate bonding which will disperse any inflight static electricity and help prevent the galvanic corrosion. Raw carbon fibre in contact with al alloy in the presence of an electrolyte (dirty water) will corrode the alloy.

Well.... can't be bothered riding in the rain these days. 

I would think that if the carbon is lacquered that will stop the issue.