Broken fuel pump

western trucker

Hi there 

I was showing a mate the progress on bike and noticed a fuel line out of place picked up end to see a white plastic piece in there and thought I don’t remember putting that In there. 

Looked at fuel pump bugger it had broken off pump so in the market for new fuel pump went to guzzi agent to see about pump only to be told $1390 the parts guys stammered as he read it yeah nah I find one elsewhere where or what pump do you guys run. 

Any leads appreciated my bike is a 2002 scura.

Regards

On 10/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, Scud said:

Not totally generic, but I just installed the aftermarket pump from MG cycle, which I think is a generic pump. Any pump with 12mm inlet and 8mm outlet would probably work in a pinch.

OEM Part

• Name: External Fuel Pump
  • Moto Guzzi Part Number: 29107261

Replacement Part

• Brand or Source:  MG Cycle
  • Part number or other identifier:  MG Cycle uses the Guzzi part number. But I found the same pump on Amazon and E-bay with part number HFP-603MG
  • Differences from OEM (if any): a bit longer than OEM, so you can trim a bit of fuel line. It's not wrapped in rubber, so you will need a bit of rubber (I used old inner tube) to fit the original clamps.
  • Website link for source:   http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=2491

Have you seen this?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, western trucker said:

Hi there 

I was showing a mate the progress on bike and noticed a fuel line out of place picked up end to see a white plastic piece in there and thought I don’t remember putting that In there. 

Looked at fuel pump bugger it had broken off pump so in the market for new fuel pump went to guzzi agent to see about pump only to be told $1390 the parts guys stammered as he read it yeah nah I find one elsewhere where or what pump do you guys run. 

Regards

Like Marty said, or I bought a pump from Quantum fuel systems, same price, and working well. Time for another Chang beer.

cheers tom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, western trucker said:

Hi there 

Regards

Lucky it didnt break when you were riding. Imagine fuel pumping out at 3 bar all over a hot engine.

Ciao

• Haha 1

Is this an in tank fuel pump or external?

External there is a cheap bosch fuel pump, I got one for $130AU new from a car parts place. 

I was also thinking about getting a tank that takes the in-tank pump and wondered if any of the other models from guzzi took the same pump system/ mounts as they all look roughly the same shape and size where they bolt to the tank from the pics but not sure if identical or just close. Would anyone know for sure?

23 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Is this an in tank fuel pump or external?

External there is a cheap bosch fuel pump, I got one for $130AU new from a car parts place. 

I was also thinking about getting a tank that takes the in-tank pump and wondered if any of the other models from guzzi took the same pump system/ mounts as they all look roughly the same shape and size where they bolt to the tank from the pics but not sure if identical or just close. Would anyone know for sure?

The link shows an external pump and my bikes external pump plastic outlets are white so I assumed its external however the 02 parts manual shows internal pump. Internal aftermarket pump kits are as cheap as chips so that also made me think external.

The issue with the in tank pump is the tank is longer from the fwd mounts to the tune of around 20mm due to the longer frame. I just tried one of my spare internal pump tanks on my bike and it limits the steering lock too much to use but mines reduced as it is with the tank lifted 40 mm at the front anyway.

I dont know about the pump mounting plate. I have one that I could take an image of an give you the dimensions if that helps.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

The link shows an external pump and my bikes external pump plastic outlets are white so I assumed its external however the 02 parts manual shows internal pump. Internal aftermarket pump kits are as cheap as chips so that also made me think external.

The issue with the in tank pump is the tank is longer from the fwd mounts to the tune of around 20mm due to the longer frame. I just tried one of my spare internal pump tanks on my bike and it limits the steering lock too much to use but mines reduced as it is with the tank lifted 40 mm at the front anyway.

I dont know about the pump mounting plate. I have one that I could take an image of an give you the dimensions if that helps.

Ciao

I don't have either the internal pump tank or the pump. I was looking at V7 pumps and V11 pumps etc and the mounting plates from the pics is ... similar size. 

In typical MG fashion, it would make plenty of sense to use a same size to reduce stock requirements, so I thought it might be possible.

So the tank on a V11 with a internal tank pump and external pump are different lengths....?

Gonna have to check that because it would be a deal breaker for what I want. I have both those bikes, will look tonight. I would assume the Ballabio tank is same as the Cafe Sport tank I have then, both with internal pumps.. The other custom bike is a 2001 V11 Lemans with external pump. I'll have to check frame length but they both have under gearbox mounts and I thought that meant the frame length is the same?

10 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

I don't have either the internal pump tank or the pump. I was looking at V7 pumps and V11 pumps etc and the mounting plates from the pics is ... similar size. 

In typical MG fashion, it would make plenty of sense to use a same size to reduce stock requirements, so I thought it might be possible.

So the tank on a V11 with a internal tank pump and external pump are different lengths....?

Gonna have to check that because it would be a deal breaker for what I want. I have both those bikes, will look tonight. I would assume the Ballabio tank is same as the Cafe Sport tank I have then, both with internal pumps.. The other custom bike is a 2001 V11 Lemans with external pump. I'll have to check frame length but they both have under gearbox mounts and I thought that meant the frame length is the same?

Yes the later one is longer by 20mm as mentioned. Fwd of the fwd mount. 

I would have thought that the bike with the extra gearbox support struts would be the longer frame with the in tank pump. Does this bike have the later front engine support frame with the aft mounted tube pair running straight down to the front engine mount? Like your other V11 does.The earlier front frame supports had these struts running more horizontal and intersecting the fwd tubes running to the front engine mounts around the mid point.

Ciao  

FWIW, the Cafe Sport tank is 20mm longer and thats from the front of the tank cap to the back of the frame cutout in the tank. The frames look identical, same mount at the back of the gearbox.

• Thanks 1