V11 Timing Chain Cover Help!

maxv11

Hi everyone, first post but long time reader. I have acquired a 2003 V11. Unfortunately it was laid down and the right side timing chain cover cracked and broke off where the frame mount is -_-. I was hoping to have it repaired but it actually pushed in the cover and is no longer flush! 

So, being that there are literally NO V11 timing chain covers in the world apparently...I see that MAYBE a G5 V1000 cover will fit?? From comparing a photo of one on eBay to mine they look almost identical apart from some of the obvious things. The one for sale has numbers : 18001450 on the inside.

The inside of the G5 cover is very comparable to the V11. Appears to have same cutouts, mounts, etc...The outside is a bit different but doesnt appear to effect install. The G5 cover has two screw plugs on top, the V11 is casted closed. There is also a capped nut on the front of the G5 cover, the V11 is again casted closed. 

Any info on this anyone could share would be killer! I don't want to miss the chance on this cover for sale. 

Thanks mates! 

12 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

Hi everyone, first post but long time reader. I have acquired a 2003 V11. Unfortunately it was laid down and the right side timing chain cover cracked and broke off where the frame mount is -_-. I was hoping to have it repaired but it actually pushed in the cover and is no longer flush! 

So, being that there are literally NO V11 timing chain covers in the world apparently...I see that MAYBE a G5 V1000 cover will fit?? From comparing a photo of one on eBay to mine they look almost identical apart from some of the obvious things. The one for sale has numbers : 18001450 on the inside.

The inside of the G5 cover is very comparable to the V11. Appears to have same cutouts, mounts, etc...The outside is a bit different but doesnt appear to effect install. The G5 cover has two screw plugs on top, the V11 is casted closed. There is also a capped nut on the front of the G5 cover, the V11 is again casted closed. 

Any info on this anyone could share would be killer! I don't want to miss the chance on this cover for sale. 

Thanks mates! 

Others can chime in here but the cover your'e looking at(G5 1000) is from a Tonti framed bike and doesn't even have the front mounts your cover has broken if I understand you correctly. It also wont have the same alternator so the front of the crank nose will be different and the alternator wont fit the case.

My suggestion would be without having an image of the damage would be to cut the original mount off and position it correctly and have an aircraft welder weld it back on or preferably someone well versed in welding cast crankcases until you can source a second hand unit.

Ciao 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

I just realized...the G5 cover may fit the actual motor but it does not have the upper frame mounts like the V11 timing cover...

An image of the damage would be helpful. Most things can be successfully repaired by the right people.

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi @Lucky Phil thanks for the info. Appears my only hope here is to repair it until a second hand V11 cover can be had. So, kind of lucky here as the break was clean. I can still fit the broken piece in relatively flush. There is a bit of a gap as you can see. Below are the pics for reference! Thanks again!

Hopefully these work...

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFfJt.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFDH0.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFQKM.jpg

1 hour ago, maxv11 said:

Hi @Lucky Phil thanks for the info. Appears my only hope here is to repair it until a second hand V11 cover can be had. So, kind of lucky here as the break was clean. I can still fit the broken piece in relatively flush. There is a bit of a gap as you can see. Below are the pics for reference! Thanks again!

Hopefully these work...

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFfJt.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFDH0.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/IUxFQKM.jpg

Thats an annoying break to repair as its also broken through or adjacent to one of the 6 mm mount holes. Its really 2 repairs, one for the cracking near the small mount hole and another for the major mount. From the images I think I'd be inclined to remove the mount repair the smaller crack then refit the main mount back in the correct position and weld repair it. 

As usual the devil's in the detail and all the cracks and weld areas need to be V'ed out to get good weld penetration and expertly welded and the mounting faces machined true again. You generally heat the case to around 150 deg C before welding to minimise the distortion. It's quite a process and would probably be cheaper to buy a second hand case if you can find one.

I'd exhaust all the Guzzi parts suppliers such as Reboot spares, HMB, etc that deal in second hand stuff or wait for an ebay item.

I have a friend here that could repair it but he's currently out of action health wise. I'd imagine he would charge around $200US plus there would be postage on top. Just to give you an idea of the costs that someone that's expert in these things would charge.

BTW if you need another front frame support I may be able to help you out for cheap. 

Ciao   

It is a rather unfortunate location for a load-bearing mount point, Nevertheless, live near an airport? Hiring an airframe & powerplant welder would probably be expensive, but very good. As well, there may be spots on the cover, internal or external, for reinforcement plates or ribs to be added. A little smoothing and paint will make it less noticeable once done. 

I tried searching the part number from the 1999-2001 V11 (GU01001400) briefly, but nadda.  I would venture that the timing cover is the same for SPOrT 1100, 1100 Sport-i as well as V11 through the entire 1999-2005 series with changes to the part number for paint finish.

A little fishing for the various parts numbers might yield more searchable options, even if the cover need a refinish . . .

36 minutes ago, po18guy said:

It is a rather unfortunate location for a load-bearing mount point, Nevertheless, live near an airport? Hiring an airframe & powerplant welder would probably be expensive, but very good. As well, there may be spots on the cover, internal or external, for reinforcement plates or ribs to be added. A little smoothing and paint will make it less noticeable once done. 

Yeah, no bueno mate. I will search around my area for someone who has experience with welding cast aluminums! 

5 minutes ago, docc said:

I tried searching the part number from the 1999-2001 V11 (GU01001400) briefly, but nadda.  I would venture that the timing cover is the same for SPOrT 1100, 1100 Sport-i as well as V11 through the entire 1999-2005 series with changes to the part number for paint finish.

A little fishing for the various parts numbers might yield more searchable options, even if the cover need a refinish . . .

Right on, I did this for a bit too which led me to checking out that V1000 cover then to find that the G5 doesn't use the same mounts :(  I believe you may be correct the most V11 covers are the same or similar...

WA? Western Australia? Lotsa bush mechanics that can make it like new. Washington State? A veritable plethora of good welders. Go to a welding supply shop and ask them who's the best. Or a hot rod shop, as cast alloy transmissions housings break and need welding. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, po18guy said:

WA? Western Australia? Lotsa bush mechanics that can make it like new. Washington State? A veritable plethora of good welders. Go to a welding supply shop and ask them who's the best. Or a hot rod shop, as cast alloy transmissions housings break and need welding. 

maxv11 looks to be your neighbor, po18guy . . .

"WA" = Washington (state), USA . . .

• Like 1

Here's a crankcase set w/cover - but it's a V11 EV (the same?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Moto-Guzzi-V11-1100-California-EV-Crankcase-Engine-Motor-Bottom-GU30000770/264430514889?hash=item3d914972c9:g:Q7MAAOSwa~1dU7j3

Sooner or later, a CNC programmer might have to develop a program to make these, what with their susceptibility to breakage and being made of unobtanium.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, docc said:

maxv11 looks to be your neighbor, po18guy . . .

"WA" = Washington (state), USA . . .

In a rare cognitive moment, I checked the member map.

• Haha 2