V11 Timing Chain Cover Help!

maxv11

11 hours ago, po18guy said:

Here's a crankcase set w/cover - but it's a V11 EV (the same?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Moto-Guzzi-V11-1100-California-EV-Crankcase-Engine-Motor-Bottom-GU30000770/264430514889?hash=item3d914972c9:g:Q7MAAOSwa~1dU7j3

Sooner or later, a CNC programmer might have to develop a program to make these, what with their susceptibility to breakage and being made of unobtanium.

That is also a Tonti frame motor so wont have the mounting boss for your V11..Have you tried a dealer to see if the part is available new? 

the crack you have fairly common on a crashed V11, see another broken one here,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Le-Mans-2-03-Front-Timing-Cover-Case-Casing/382870305420?hash=item5924d93a8c:g:WpMAAOSwZjpcnevJ

• Like 1

13 hours ago, po18guy said:

WA? Western Australia? Lotsa bush mechanics that can make it like new. Washington State? A veritable plethora of good welders. Go to a welding supply shop and ask them who's the best. Or a hot rod shop, as cast alloy transmissions housings break and need welding. 

Yup, Washington state. I emailed a few recommended shops. NWFab and Precision Machine. I live in Bellingham, WA so not a ton of welders. I may have to ship the cover to Seattle and have a shop repair it. 

1 hour ago, fotoguzzi said:

That is also a Tonti frame motor so wont have the mounting boss for your V11..Have you tried a dealer to see if the part is available new? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Le-Mans-2-03-Front-Timing-Cover-Case-Casing/382870305420?hash=item5924d93a8c:g:WpMAAOSwZjpcnevJ

Yeah I almost pulled the trigger on a V1000 G5 cover. After realizing they have no upper mounts and the stators are different. 

6 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

Yes I saw that on ebay when I was having a look for the OP. Some people will try to make a dollar from anything. I've seen clowns selling Ducati matched crankcase pairs as separate listings.

Ciao  

6 hours ago, gstallons said:

I had no idea you could sell broken parts for this much $$$$ ?

In best Mr. T accent: "I pity the fool who threw his cracked timing cover away."

This forum has the talent (and desire) to engineer springs better than Paiggio. If need arose, could we 3D print or do CNC timing cover replacements? Years ago, AMC/Jeep had no V8 timing covers available, as they were out of print since '91 or so. Rather Guzzi-like, they wore out due to lack of bushings for the oil pump drive shaft. So, one (or more) companies reverse-engineered the cover and they are once again available, and better than the originals. 

The difference? They were originally done by employees, but re-done by aficionados. Like the shift mechanism springs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maxv11 said:

Yup, Washington state. I emailed a few recommended shops. NWFab and Precision Machine. I live in Bellingham, WA so not a ton of welders. I may have to ship the cover to Seattle and have a shop repair it. 

Maybe Paine Field? I would still lean toward aircraft welders, as they are under more scrutiny. And, leave it to Guzzi to make the engine a stressed member, but only via the timing cover(?) Back to Jeep: they did the motor mount on the timing cover of their technically advanced OHC 230 six cylinder in the early 60s and had nothing but oil leaks. Solved by using block mounts but the die had been cast, so to speak. 

7 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Maybe Paine Field? I would still lean toward aircraft welders, as they are under more scrutiny. And, leave it to Guzzi to make the engine a stressed member, but only via the timing cover(?) Back to Jeep: they did the motor mount on the timing cover of their technically advanced OHC 230 six cylinder in the early 60s and had nothing but oil leaks. Solved by using block mounts but the die had been cast, so to speak. 

Yes an aircraft welder would be a good start. Mounts on the cover are a good thing, I've had a few Ducati engine mounts repaired and they are part of the main case. I'd rather just replace a removable cover than weld the cases. The Ford Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine has one engine mount incorporated in the timing chain cover and is no problem as does quite a few 4 cylinder FWD engines.

Ciao

It is repairable, so don't throw it away. Save it for when you absolutely can't find a used one to replace it with. It will take some expertise, and won't be cheap. As L P said, the cracks will have to be Ved out , bead blasted, pre heated, welded, and remachined.

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

It is repairable, so don't throw it away. Save it for when you absolutely can't find a used one to replace it with. It will take some expertise, and won't be cheap. As L P said, the cracks will have to be Ved out , bead blasted, pre heated, welded, and remachined.

YES, and a rattle can with some red magic penetrating stoff, or have it nuked. 

Cheers tom.

So is it 100% confirmed that a G5 V1000 timing cover won't fit this motor? Just curious...I am new to MG and don't know much about the differences unfortunately. Other than seeing that they look identical other then the two frame mounting holes. I understand the G5 uses a different alternator but didn't know if it's cover would house a V11 alternator ok. 

Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Before you go any further I'd check the frame carefully to make sure it's still true. Spineys crash badly and if it's bad enough to smash the timing chest it may well of banana'd the frame.

Not that you'd notice much:)

Ciao

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pete roper said:

Before you go any further I'd check the frame carefully to make sure it's still true. Spineys crash badly and if it's bad enough to smash the timing chest it may well of banana'd the frame.

Thanks mate, the frame has been thoroughly checked over and measured out. All seems to be in check...