V11 Timing Chain Cover Help!

maxv11

51 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

Received my new timing cover today from AF1. I now see why this cover was sitting on a shelf for so long :thumbsup: Good job Moto Guzzi. 

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

How deep are the porosity pockets?

Ciao

12 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Not too deep, haven't taken an exact measurement. The only issue I see is makes this area even weaker than it already is, causing pockets to act as vibration areas...idk but plan on filling it in as said earlier. 

3 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

Not too deep, haven't taken an exact measurement. The only issue I see is makes this area even weaker than it already is, causing pockets to act as vibration areas...idk but plan on filling it in as said earlier. 

Like docc said JB weld or Devcon aluminium. Its risky weld repairing porosity as it can end up just dissolving in front of the torch. It may just be on the surface anyway, hard to tell unless you get it x-rayed or ultrasonic tested.

Ciao 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, docc said:

One of the interesting revelations about the V11 is that the "timing cover" is a key stressed member. Perhaps unique to the SpineFrames?  :huh2:

Yeah, it appears to be. I wonder if a guy could make a new motor mount setup that hugged the motor down near the oil pan instead..idk! I guess just do your best to keep the beast upright! 

2 minutes ago, maxv11 said:

Yeah, it appears to be. I wonder if a guy could make a new motor mount setup that hugged the motor down near the oil pan instead..idk! I guess just do your best to keep the beast upright! 

Hey, ya know P.Roper is fond of saying, "V11 don't crash well."

One more thing he is right about . . . :oldgit:

• Like 1

Don't be too sad , certain Ducatis , when the sidestand breaks off , the engine case is destroyed . Leaving you with a very beautiful red bike that will cost twice it's value to repair .

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, gstallons said:

Don't be too sad , certain Ducatis , when the sidestand breaks off , the engine case is destroyed . Leaving you with a very beautiful red bike that will cost twice it's value to repair .

Haha, yikes. 

On 2/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Bit pricey but if you need.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-03-05-Moto-Guzzi-V11-Cafe-Sport-OEM-Front-Timing-Cover-Case-Bolts-Assembly/333526403269?hash=item4da7b908c5:g:SJsAAOSwADReVLoc

Ciao

• 4 weeks later...
On February 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Speaking of which, since I clicked on this part, I received an email offer of $165 shipped in the US, if anyone needs a timing cover.