Buying a Stelvio

LangleyMalc

Buying a 2013 Stelvio with 20k kilometres on it to add to the collection. The bike is in PEI (Anne of Green Gables etc on the Atlantic side of Gods own Country) and I live in BC.  So I will be flying over in April and weather permitting, will then head over to St John’s NL and mile Zero and then ride home. Wife thinks I am mad, but I am less concerned with the distance -about 6;000ks than the weather in early spring up here. 
Two questions: do the Stelvio riders have a specific blog site like here?

and Anyone got suggestions on route planning?  Right now I plan to head along the Trans CANADA from PEI to NL and then Trans CANADA all the way home but if freezing or snowing could detour south through the States. 

• Like 1

That sounds fabulous. There are Stelvio owners on wildguzzi.com but I am not aware of a bike-specific forum like this.

I'd suggest mapping out a few routes (perhaps with connectors between them) so you can adjust to weather, whim, and whatever... Personally, I like to take in the National Parks when I can. In the US, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are not too far South of the border. I've often thought it would great to ride the Canadian Rockies through Bannf or Jasper. You have endless possibilities and the Stelvio is great ride.

You didn't ask us to help you spend more money, but what are forums for?  I found that a small, clip-on wind deflector, on the stock screen with in the full upright position, will create a near-silent air pocket. Something like that would be great to have on such a long ride. I also have found the Giant Loop Diablo tank bag to be an excellent bit of luggage and a very good fit on the Stelvio. 

• Like 1

I rode one-way from BC (Burnaby) to Halifax (via PEI and Cape Breton) on (my pre-V11) Zephyr 750 many years ago ... awesome journey! Took as many detours as time would allow (eg Highway 3 out of BC rather than trans-Can ... but you likely know that already) ... but to your second question - ferries to/from NL would have (will) add quite significant time / $ to the journey - although an awesome place to visit if you can - including perhaps the best fish and chips on the planet! And don't forget NS ...

Best of luck with your purchase and journey - no matter which route you choose.

Gio

42 minutes ago, Gio said:

I rode one-way from BC (Burnaby) to Halifax (via PEI and Cape Breton) on (my pre-V11) Zephyr 750 many years ago ... awesome journey! Took as many detours as time would allow (eg Highway 3 out of BC rather than trans-Can ... but you likely know that already) ... but to your second question - ferries to/from NL would have (will) add quite significant time / $ to the journey - although an awesome place to visit if you can - including perhaps the best fish and chips on the planet! And don't forget NS ...

Best of luck with your purchase and journey - no matter which route you choose.

Gio

Big call:)

Ciao

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Big call:)

Ciao

^ yeah, especially since everyone knows the best fish chips on the planet are the Mahi Mahi in Hawaii. :food:

This is pro-level thread drift by us.

• Like 1

ok, we're talking Planet? I'm going with the Bingham Chippy, Notts., UK. Piled high with chips, sausage, and mushy peas. Down your neck before you can walk across the street to the Wheatsheaf Pub for a Guinness & Mild.  omg :thumbsup: (may have to renew the passport)

I have to admit to knowing a bit about fish and chips being English and also having been to St John’s before and they are up there, but no mushy peas. The trip starts in April and I will make it part of the mission to eat and photograph a# much fish and chips as possible on the way . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having mentioned the F&C , am now in fear I may have started another "oil" thread ..(!)

@Phil - yes, big call perhaps ... but being from northern England originally feel somewhat qualified to make - having said that, footgoose is mostly correct with his mention of essential mushy peas (and optional Guinness) ... but sausage?? With gravy or curry sauce, perhaps. So I'll stand correction LangleyMalc - I don't recall there being any mushy peas in NL either ...

Just recently, a couple (originally from northern England but then Australia) started a F&C van called "Nippers" in my part of NS - so in a shameless plug for any enthusiast wishing to sample not just good F&C (and sausage for that matter) - they also have mushy peas of the highest calibre. Just another reason to swing through NS on your journey LangleyMalc ..!

Cheers!

Gio

• Like 1

Apart from a trip to Mile 0 on NL and a visit with a mate there I have as yet no plan and no time pressure as now retired. So as I have never been through NS apart from  Halifax airport I will ensure I visit and look for Nippers. Hopefully the bike will perform flawlessly, but otherwise you might be getting a call!

No worries mate ... should you need any local support / place to ready the Stelvio for home run etc just let me know. Wife loves Nippers also - so you can buy in return!

Gio

PS - as you are in Langley, you probably know my old friends (Gord and Gord) in Chilliwack (where I purchased my V11 new) - if so, send regards next time you see them. Fine fellows both.

Gord senior is now retired and Gord junior went before him and the shop no longer carries Guzzi. I also bought my Balabio from him in 2004  and had my old Cal II serviced and repaired there. A pity he retired as he was good - now we have International Motorsport, who have no inventory of parts (“Got to come fromPiaggio Bud”) and no in depth knowledge of the marque! Also while willing to tackle anything, not cheap and therefore at your cost. They are however a bit closer. 

Now I am retired I have the time to do the bulk of the work myself and with three bikes available, one should be running! Right now the Balabio (the one my daughter has stolen) is waiting for a starter but otherwise is sorted and the Cal 1400 goes fine. On that one, it developed a problem with the ignition switch and anti theft system (dongle) last year at about 18k km, which by the time International had finished cost $2,500 including a new dash. The previous owner had put in a personal security code and no one knew what it was!  Apparently you can’t put in a master override code to pair the new lock set with the original dash so I then ended up with a new lock set and a new dash! Lovely idea this dongle to prevent theft, but not much use if it can’t be overridden. 

There is a very active Stelvio thread on ADV

https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-stelvio-merged-threadfest.113158/page-2121#post-39387981

While a trip back across Canada shouldn't be a big deal, (Weather permitting.) there are a couple of things I would suggest you check before you set off. Firstly the air filter installation and the airbox itself. There were a few 2012/13 models that had air boxes with holes in them, just poor QC, but it's worth checking. Take the filter out and shine a torch into the box and look carefully underneath especially below the inlet trumpets.

I'd also recommend doing the valve clearances as they usually are far too wide ex-factory. Set 'em to 4 & 6 thou. Do not try and pull the plug caps off from the top when doing this. Flick them off by inserting a long, thin, screwdriver through the cooling tunnel in the head just above the exhaust port and levering them up from underneath.

Do not try and lower, or raise, the idle speed by messing with the throttle stop screw. In fact don't touch the TB's at all until you have read up on how the W5AM system works on Guzzis!

When you get home your first task will be to pull the swingarm and grease the swingarm and shock linkage bearings as they are never adequately greased at the factory.

Don't run the oil any higher than two thirds of the way up the stick. Being a Guzzi owner already you should know this. :D

Don't break it in gently. Ride it like you stole it.

• Like 1