Veglia Odometer Stem

LowRyter

There are so many threads on the subject, I didn't know where to start.  So, I'm making it worse by starting another.  The Moderator is more than welcome to combine this to its proper place. 

Anyway, I've lost a couple of those stems and they cost $30+.   I won't purchase another one but it's inconvenient when you're trying to keep track of the gas fill up.  I was on a Ducati forum whining about it and got this advice:

I also lost the reset knob on the Veglia speedo on my Bevel Duc and as you say they are stupid ($64!!) expensive. I discovered that the male thread on the Veglia reset shaft in the speedo was the same as the female thread on a Demel tool mandrel and the mandrels aren't expensive. I fabricated a metal eyelet and epoxied on the end of the mandrel shaft, removed the retaining screw and I keep the mandrel on my keyring. When I stop for gas I thread it onto the reset shaft, reset the trip meter and then remove it and no more lost stupid expensive knobs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stewgnu said:

I replaced the crappy clocks a while back, still have the old ones, you’re welcome to the stem off it if any good for you?

I would be more than happy to take those off your hands for spare parts.. :oldgit:

16 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I'm not having an easy time finding one.  If memory serves it's a reverse thread and very small (?) metric.

The rule is: if the knob is on the left hand side, it's a left hand thread.

I wonder if this might be a group project to design a full aluminium CNC replacement. Looks pretty basic to me. The knob on the end would need to be different and incorporated into the body but but apart from that.

Ciao

• Like 2

I almost busted mine off once with it being close to the headlight fairing bracketry on the Scura. I'll be ripping off my Veglia stuff once it starts to break and replacing with Speedhut. These gauges are a weak point on these bikes. Self lubricating plastic gears? C'mon! 

• Like 1

I got my replacement knob from MG, but having a tough time getting it threaded on again...seems like the end onto which it has to be screwed is "drooping" a bit inside the case.  Have to come up with an ingenious way of lining it up to the hole to get the new one screwed on.

My V11 that I bought with low miles and in pretty clean condition was missing the odometer stem. These are obviously shoddy items. Why replace It with the same  crappy piece? I ignore the trip meter and just count up from the odometer.

• 11 months later...
I got my replacement knob from MG, but having a tough time getting it threaded on again...seems like the end onto which it has to be screwed is "drooping" a bit inside the case.  Have to come up with an ingenious way of lining it up to the hole to get the new one screwed on.
My OEM reset knob on my '03 LeMans is in place, but has become essentially useless for resetting the trip odo. I also just received my replacement from MG, but the OEM pin does not seem to want to come out. I tried turning it clockwise (as it's reported to be reverse threaded), and just spins without backing off. I then tried counter-clockwise with the same result. It appears that whatever it is screwed into is also just turning, but without engaging the numbers dial. I guess it's time to take it apart unless someone has a simpler solution.
  • Like 1