'03 V11 Sport part # needed

ronkom

The garage started smelling of gasoline (VERY much upset wife!). Traced the problem to the fuel level sensor. Gas is leaking down the wire in the center of the sensor body, so I assume it's bad inside & needs replaced. Problem is that all the parts manuals  for the '03 V11 Sport naked I have found on line show the fuel level sensor as a part of the internally mounted fuel pump . My bike does not have the fuel pump mounted inside the tank. The fuel pump is  a separate unit mounted to the frame under the tank, and the fuel level sensor is also separate, mounted in the tank bottom (left side), just in front of the petcock. Anyone have a  V11 parts manual showing the set-up I have? If so, please send me the part number(s) I need to order  a replacement sensor.

Thanks,

ronkom 

2 hours ago, ronkom said:

The garage started smelling of gasoline (VERY much upset wife!). Traced the problem to the fuel level sensor. Gas is leaking down the wire in the center of the sensor body, so I assume it's bad inside & needs replaced. Problem is that all the parts manuals  for the '03 V11 Sport naked I have found on line show the fuel level sensor as a part of the internally mounted fuel pump . My bike does not have the fuel pump mounted inside the tank. The fuel pump is  a separate unit mounted to the frame under the tank, and the fuel level sensor is also separate, mounted in the tank bottom (left side), just in front of the petcock. Anyone have a  V11 parts manual showing the set-up I have? If so, please send me the part number(s) I need to order  a replacement sensor.

Thanks,

ronkom 

Part number 01103030

Ciao

Ron.. the Mighty Scura uses this one

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=382&products_id=2474

Their website says it is out of stock. Is it still working? It's nothing more than a thermistor pressed into the end of a plastic tube, a couple of wires, and a nut to screw it to the bung. You could probably glue the thermistor with some fuel proof glue it that is the problem. To check it, just unplug it and see if there is *some* resistance between the two wires. Normally, a bad one doesn't have any.

• 2 years later...

In the middle of replacing the petcock I had ordered back in late 2017, and casually decided to look at this thermistor/fuel level sensor also.

Just had to order one of these from Curtis at Harper's as it's out of stock at Stein Dinse.  Prices have gone up...was $104, now $260...rare part indeed, but he has a couple available in case anyone needs one.

As I'm deep into a tank off exercise, I noticed the black wire had disconnected at the plastic plate area, the gray/whitish wire was hanging on by a thread, and all of the plastic shrink wrap was brittle and hardened.  Time to refresh, along with a couple of other parts.

Amazing what one finds when going thru with a fine tooth comb doing the Tank Off exercise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

In the middle of replacing the petcock I had ordered back in late 2017, and casually decided to look at this thermistor/fuel level sensor also.

Just had to order one of these from Curtis at Harper's as it's out of stock at Stein Dinse.  Prices have gone up...was $104, now $260...rare part indeed, but he has a couple available in case anyone needs one.

As I'm deep into a tank off exercise, I noticed the black wire had disconnected at the plastic plate area, the gray/whitish wire was hanging on by a thread, and all of the plastic shrink wrap was brittle and hardened.  Time to refresh, along with a couple of other parts.

Amazing what one finds when going thru with a fine tooth comb doing the Tank Off exercise.

indeed. everything that was originally plastic on my monza is now a fine, black sandy substance.  curse ye father time!!

• Like 2