Speedo cable interference with connecting rod

leroysch

Recent decent weather allowed me to take the V11 out to check whether my recent replacement of the speedo cable brought the speedometer back to life. At startup it seemed to be idling slightly high, and a subsequent brief ride confirmed the throttle wasn't closing completely (throttle off RPM's on the order of 3K). The speedo cable's metal strain relief is contributing  the cable's  interference with the connecting rod.

IMG_20200217_123709939.jpg

The throttle cable has plenty of slack in the "off" condition, and when high I can manually close the linkage (below the TPS) to lower the RPM's (surprised at how little movement was involved). 

I'm not prepared to go the Speedhut route yet, and I can only think of two solutions: 1. Remove part/all of the metal strain relief or 2. Use the old cable with new innards.

Any other ideas would be welcome!

• Thanks 1

Heh, so early V11 had the angle drives (way sketchy), and the later V11 had the bent tubes (still sketchy). I've rebuilt too many angle drives to count. Lots of us have bent those tubes away from the throttle rod. Yep, if it is not done expertly, the cable will break there (might-could break there anyway) . . .

Thanks for posting the excellent image of that V11 fail point!  :thumbsup:

Worth addressing .  .  . anything fouling the throttle is decidedly ungood. :blink:

• Thanks 1

Thanks gentlemen....increasing the bend (duh!) makes a lot more sense.

Appreciate the idea about adding the angle drive Phil, but as Docc pointed out going back to the earlier "sketchy" configuration (and spending the $)...well...I'd go the Speedhut route and be done with it instead.

1 hour ago, leroysch said:

Thanks gentlemen....increasing the bend (duh!) makes a lot more sense.

Appreciate the idea about adding the angle drive Phil, but as Docc pointed out going back to the earlier "sketchy" configuration (and spending the $)...well...I'd go the Speedhut route and be done with it instead.

I'm about to tempt fate here but mines been fine for 42,000 klm.

Ciao

Clock-end another story (and inner cable replaced once) - but as far as I can recall I still have the original (60 degree) lower angle drive on my '00 ... perhaps all angle-drives not created equal? Either way - as stress-free and non-interfering as possible ... and some occaisional greasing of cable / drives perhaps?

Gio

Angle drives were only on early V11 with the white-face Veglia through 2002 (or hold-over '03s). The black-face clocks showed up with the bent tubes. No more angle drive failures, but that's when the cables started breaking . . .

8 hours ago, gstallons said:

Your angle drive has been removed ?  I didn't see that !

Yup, this '04 has black faced ITI's and no angle drive. The "interesting" part of all of this is the broken cable (broke up around the speedo) didn't have the bent tube feature.