Digital Speedometer Info

maxv11

Hello again :) as some may know I am working on a 2003 Ballabio. Slowly rebuilding and replacing needed parts. I have two questions that I have been searching for answers on and have not found any relative information on, so hoping some of you may be able to chime in! 

First, I am replacing the stock speedometer with a smaller digital unit. I can set the Hz frequency on it to calibrate the speed setting. Is there any information out there that tells us what the Hz frequency is on the V11? The speedometer comes preset to 46.6Hz which I have read is equal to around 60KPH. I suppose I could use a GPS speedo on my phone and raise/lower the Hz setting in the speedo to get it to match my phone as close as possible...

Second, I have worked on many bikes where the ECU has to have the original speedometer in place to start/run the bike. It uses it has a handshake to tell the ECU all is good to go and the machine can be started. Will I have any issues with not using the stock instruments? 

I see a ground wire lead coming from the speedo, the headlight plug, I assume the two leads for the signal indicators and then the main dash plug. Just seeing if there are any wires or things that need to be salvaged from the speedo to accommodate a new speedo working. 

Ive seen a lot of builds with aftermarket clusters so know it can be done...Thanks! 

Hi,  

1 hour ago, maxv11 said:

Second, I have worked on many bikes where the ECU has to have the original speedometer in place to start/run the bike. It uses it has a handshake to tell the ECU all is good to go and the machine can be started. Will I have any issues with not using the stock instruments? 

I assume that by "original speedometer" you mean a dashboard. Which is talking to the ECU via CANBus, the immobilizer function being one of the bits transmitted over the bus. 

The 15M/RC don't use CANBus, the speedometer is just triggered by a pulse. Replacing it does not inhibit the starting.

Cheers
Meinolf

• Like 2

Wiring to the original V11 speedo is for illumination. All V11 get their speed "signal" in the analog way - through a cable from the right side, top of the gearbox . . . :oldgit:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all I am nearing the end of my wiring up the V11. I have sold the stock gauges and are using a single speedo with a built in tacho. 

Does anyone know what color wire is for the tacho to have it function? I have used a digital speedo in the past and the lead connects to the positive side of the coil. I tried this on the Guzzi but it was a no go. I am assuming the red/black wire coming from one of the coils is the positive and the green wire if I recall should be ground? I also tried connect the lead directly to the coil wire but it made the bike short out or something, it ran rough lol. 

I have read and seen a member install a Koso gauge and he said he used a Yellow/Black wire? I have that which is a stand-alone water proof plug which is connected to my new tacho now but still isn’t working. 

Any info would be great! 
thx 

RPM reference is from the ECU, as I recall.

[edit: yep, looks to be yellow/black (on the early V11 1999-2001, at least.]

32 minutes ago, docc said:

RPM reference is from the ECU, as I recall.

[edit: yep, looks to be yellow/black (on the early V11 1999-2001, at least.]

Ok, my model is a 2003 so I’ll have to dig into this more I suppose. I’m so close too! The bike starts right up and runs great though! 

• Like 1

So, you do have a yellow/black that went to the tach before?

Also, whatever you new tach uses may not be this signal, but from the coils? :huh2:

What is make/type your new tach, BTW?

18 minutes ago, docc said:

So, you do have a yellow/black that went to the tach before?

Also, whatever you new tach uses may not be this signal, but from the coils? :huh2:

What is make/type your new tach, BTW?

Yes, well I believe so haha. The bike game in boxes lol the tach I got is a cheapo off amazon. Didn’t have a lot to splurge on unfortunately. But you may be correct as is may not pickup the signal this V11 is putting out...

So as @docc mentioned the yellow/black wire lead is the RPM/tach wire. I test it with my digital meter in the OHMs rating and it put out some numbers...so I am assuming its working haha. I do think this is not working due to the speedometer not accepting its reading. I think my cheapo speedo/tach setup is meant to go into one of the coils power sides but this doesn't appear to work either. I tried the red/black wire and the green wire from one of the coils plugs. So, for now I will leave off the tachometer function. I'll just stare at blank numbers and the speed until I can swap it out with something else! 

6 hours ago, maxv11 said:

I ordered a trailtech RPM gauge that I’ll mount up for the time being. Simply just wraps around one of the ignition coil wires and can set firing sequence. 

I use one of those combo gauges on my dr650. works fine