Rear caliper bolt quickie

stewgnu

I’ve just loosened one of the rear caliper bolts instead of the hanger bolt..  

I need a lift 😐..  

So quick query- anyone know what the torque value is on the caliper bolts?

ThanX . I can't find my chart . and I'm doing a caliper flush & refill . I removed the calipers , R&R all pistons and cleaned them . UGH . This brake fluid smelled awful after sitting 25 yrs . I'm going to have to do this to everything !!!!!!!  I'm using DOT  4 fluid too .

• Like 2

I did find torque specs on fasteners . I also found conversion formulas .\

To go ft. lb. to N.M. ;  multiply ft.lb X 1.35 = N.M.   100ft.lb. = 135 N.M.

To go N.M. to ft.lb ; multiply N..m x 0.74 = ft.lb.      100 N..M. = 74 ft.lb.

I hope this is right ?

There is a free program called "convert"  an engineering program that converts about anything. I've used it for way too many years. :oldgit:

I can't seem to get the "lead to gold" conversion to work, though..:rasta:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I can't seem to get the "lead to gold" conversion to work, though..:rasta:

Download the alchemy app. Whatever you scan turns into gold. Requires a Golden Retriever as well, because those dogs retrieve gold.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

I did find torque specs on fasteners . I also found conversion formulas .\

To go ft. lb. to N.M. ;  multiply ft.lb X 1.35 = N.M.   100ft.lb. = 135 N.M.

To go N.M. to ft.lb ; multiply N..m x 0.74 = ft.lb.      100 N..M. = 74 ft.lb.

I hope this is right ?

That checks out with the numbers I posted above. Are the caliper bolts M8x1.25?

IF he's referring to caliper to mount bolts , they are 8mm . I removed mine to flush the fluid .

To whom it may concern ; drop the caliper and inspect the pads and all the doodads under the plastic cover . I just took mine out flushing brake fluid and caliper clean-up to find ugly worn-out pads and pins . 

What brand pads do you recommend ? I thought I has some rear pads in stock , but I can't find them .

• Like 1

A dear friend trusted technician suggested Brembo rotors like Brembo pads. I had excessive wear from EBC HH pads and have been using Brembo, again, ever since.

• Like 1

It’s the bolts that actually hold the caliper halves together.  Can be easy to start undoing them instead of the mounting bolts if you’re (I’m) not vigilant.  And damned if I can’t find any torque figures for them.

yeah, my pin and spring are a tad crusty looking.  I’m putting fren sintered pads in this time, the last set were brembos which were fine but pricey and wore very quickly.  Or the rubbers are knackered and not retracting the pads properly...

On another note, the hangar is merrily shedding it’s paint, and the swingarm’s been beaten up by the naff hugger, so I should really get on a train to paintsville.

On another another note, I can recommend silkolene pink ‘racing’ grease: It’s the only stuff that is still present when I go to dismantle anything.  The drive splines, axle, needle bearing, race + washer all get a good glob every time.

• Like 1

Found the pads . EBC . Got it back together / bled with a lot of "rigging" , Phoenix bleeder and DOT 4 .  

I cleaned up the pins / stuff , then used cold galvanize spray on them . I forgot to use brake assembly lube …..Mmmm.  

I don't like aging . I used to remember EVERYTHING and knew where EVERYTHING was , so I didn't try to organize . You wanted a 3/8'' SAE nut . No problem , I would dig you one out of a pan somewhere . Now , where did I put that FUC#ING brake caliper ? Then , where did I put the FUC#ING brake pads ? And so it goes !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"No petroleum grease on braking components. Silicone only!", sez gstallons . . . :oldgit:

As to using aggressive pads on these Brembos so they last longer, I would ever rather replace pads than rotors. Talk about 'spensive. :blink:

• Like 2

I have two bottles of Raybestos brake assy. fluid and didn't think about it until I turned out the lights …….. 

As far as torque procedures ,  my philosophy "it's tight enough for me". I have a 3/8'' click type , a 1/2" click type , a 1/2" dial type , a 1/2" digital type and a 3/4" click type . All Snap-On . The only time I use them is when I do something I think is critical . I would have torqued the head gasket on my air compressor when I reassembled it , but I couldn't get the torque wrench back there to reach it ! Being a bit lazy & anxious did not help my cause !

• Haha 1