Took a spill on the freeway

Well guys, this post sucks. I was commuting home from work this past Thursday and a car pushed me into the back end of an SUV. The car kept on its merry way, leaving me tumbling on the freeway. Thank God for good gear, and for the cars behind me stopping in time.

My bike doesn't seem to be too banged up, and the same goes for me, luckily.

I did an inspection on the side of the road, and most of the damage was to the spark plug guard. It saved the head, but the plug was destroyed. I was less than a mile from home, and the bike started up. Obviously, only one cylinder was firing, due to the broken spark plug, but I was able to get her home and in the garage.

I'll be assessing the damage more when I get some free time.

I've always wanted to be more active on this forum, but this definitely isn't what I meant by that! cb066360cd8596f5a5cd184f9ea2c17b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

That is amazing that the head guard worked as well as it did. I've never seen one that eaten away . .  :blink:

So glad to hear you, and your protective gear, got you out of this better than that head guard fared! :notworthy: whew!

• Like 1

Glad you're ok. Adrenalin feels so good though eh? You might consider these Joe Kenny guards https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Square-Head-Guards-for-V11-Sport-and-more/352981220368?hash=item522f51fc10:g:-a4AAOSwUElcvGcp

heavy duty, stick out a bit more. I have them on my bike and had a lay down this fall. Ground it off pretty good but rode home with 2 cylinders. I'll get to my other computer tomorrow and post a damage photo. Good luck with the prognosis.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Unlucky fella.  Glad you’re not too beaten up.

Imagine the carnage if there wasn’t a jug-guard fitted...

(I had a slide on the left side t’other year, so I have spare rhs silencers if applicable to your re-build needs).

• Like 1

Good for you, good for the gear, and good for the head guards. Well designed ones are meant to be sacrificial. I've seen some that are *way* too sturdy and they break stuff.

My biggest fear is getting hit from behind. Glad it worked out ok. Sort of.

• Like 1

I learned to carry a spare spark plug and resister cap (actually a pair) in the monkey paw trap. Even shared them with an unlucky friend on a roadside out in the hilly countryside once . . .

• Like 2

Further to previous reply (and docc's post above) - some great folks on here helped me out with a few things needed for left side of mine a few years ago ... some only asking for a few dollars + shipping cost - so in that same spirit I will offer a used right-side factory guard (in good condition) for whatever you would like to offer (or donate to this forum?) + shipping cost ... again PM me for picture or details. Those guards do work as intended!

Gio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, my guard damage and a little comparo...

My lay down produced a scraped plug cap and bent plug tip. did not crack the plug. I have read the beefier the guard the better chance of head damage. This is my only first hand experience and fortunately the outcome was 100% positive. The guard did exactly as requested. I also used stainless bolts for this area thinking, possibly mistakenly, they might sheer more easily. (and they look better).

Top - stock. next - 'older' Joe Kenny. next - newer Joe Kenny. next - I forgot. and the round dosen't suit the square head as well imo.

IMG-1405.JPG

stock over my damaged JK

IMG-1406.JPG

older JK over new JK. note: the older version of JK is the nicest imo, but I don't believe they are being made now.

IMG-1407.JPG

Dr John used a similar fairly substantial guard, but he no doubt carried a spare head or two;)

http://static.cisrhenensis.nl/cr/earlysuperbikereportage/DrJohn/Gallery/13000213_1148298458521795_1456605041840053136_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good call on the spares. I'll be keeping some on me, from now on.

I learned to carry a spare spark plug and resister cap (actually a pair) in the monkey paw trap. Even shared them with an unlucky friend on a roadside out in the hilly countryside once . . .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2