Checking in on Middle Tennessee

All is well with those we know. That can't be said for all of Nashville, of course. :(

These night time tornadoes are devastating, catching people totally unprepared or unalerted. We were caught in a powerful tornado path in 1998 that changed my view of weather forever.  That same day, tornadoes went through Nashville on about the same course as this one. (I'm about an hour's drive south of the city.)

There must be a "Tornado Alley" there as there was a 1933 event that followed very nearly that same path . . .

Thanks for checking up, Nobelswood! Much appreciated!

• Like 7

Living in Okla, for sure these devastating storms follow very similar paths.  For example, Moore OK, just south of Okla City was hit with two huge tornado in '99 and '13.  It looks like this one Nashville is just as deadly.  Following the same path, meaning that these storms follow the path of I-44, the highway that runs from Wichita Falls to St Louis.  Along the way WF TX, Moore OK, and Joplin MO have all been hit by devastating storms.   The storms that hit Moore, followed the highway for 50 miles.  The path of the two storms paralleled each at within a 5 miles difference, perhaps less that two miles when they hit Moore.  Despite the the warning, tracking the storms, there wasn't adequate shelter.  Tragically, many young children were killed in a grade school, that wasn't an adequate to protect them from the storm.  BTW- we still don't have a funded shelter program for our schools.

For myself, I decided to have a prefab storm cellar installed in my garage, with sliding doors that open right under my car ($3000).  The reason I decided, a few years ago there were storms 15 miles west of my house, heading directly east.   I left work early,  only to be stranded on the freeway with bumper to bumper traffic.  That's when occurred to me, you hide but you can't run.  The worst was knowing my family was unprotected and they were in a full scale panic after my wife dropped by son off at shelter, she then came home to wait for me.  That was it.

If you don't have a shelter, I'd recommend finding an internal room and putting on your motorcycle gear.  I wonder about getting in the car in the garage with gear on?

Those are good points. I know a guy who's whole family puts on helmets when they are in the shelter. Lord knows, we probably all have lots of extra motorcycle helmets . . .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gstallons said:

Docc , I assume you & yours made it ok . My buddy & family ( in Franklin )  made it ok . 

Yeah, man, thanks! We all had a line of storms that night, but nothing like that EF2/EF3 through Nashville. Glad your friends are okay.

The Nashville Electric Service estimates 600 poles down. Compared to 200 in the 1998 tornado . . .

Just a note.  I am retired guy.  I am very concerned about the Coronavirus.  Yes, my hair is on fire but I'm not gonna debate it here.  But it got me motivated.  I am applying for volunteer status at the State Health Dept.  I've learned that since 9/11 the entire nation has a volunteer emergency force (mine is the Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps ).  These are statewide volunteer groups to help out with any planned or unplanned events that might affect public safety.   My state is #1 for Federal emergencies (per capita) and only behind TX and Cali for all emergencies.   I've passed 3 of my 4 tests to participate.  I have no medical skill (or mechanical skills as everyone here knows), hopefully I can work the planning, budgeting, and logistics stuff.  If not, I'll pass out leaflets and clean the floors.   All states have these organizations.

Anyway, food for thought for all you retired guys.  There are times of emergency that the paid folks can't keep up with, we're all in the same country, so no need waiting for some else to do what needs to be done.

After I get some hands on, I'll tell ya straight if this a help to the world or just eyewash PR deal.

• Like 6
On 3/6/2020 at 9:26 PM, LowRyter said:

Just a note.  I am retired guy.  I am very concerned about the Coronavirus.  Yes, my hair is on fire but I'm not gonna debate it here.  But it got me motivated.  I am applying for volunteer status at the State Health Dept.  I've learned that since 9/11 the entire nation has a volunteer emergency force (mine is the Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps ).  These are statewide volunteer groups to help out with any planned or unplanned events that might affect public safety.   My state is #1 for Federal emergencies (per capita) and only behind TX and Cali for all emergencies.   I've passed 3 of my 4 tests to participate.  I have no medical skill (or mechanical skills as everyone here knows), hopefully I can work the planning, budgeting, and logistics stuff.  If not, I'll pass out leaflets and clean the floors.   All states have these organizations.

Anyway, food for thought for all you retired guys.  There are times of emergency that the paid folks can't keep up with, we're all in the same country, so no need waiting for some else to do what needs to be done.

After I get some hands on, I'll tell ya straight if this a help to the world or just eyewash PR deal.

https://www.ready.gov/cert

Our company in Ohio is in, as am I here in Florida.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1