Bar End Weights Recommendation

Kane

Hi folks,

I am considering removing the Napoleon bar end mirrors on my ‘01 V11 to narrow the bike’s profile for L.A. traffic. The Napoleons work and look great, but they stick out pretty good and when folded up interfere with using the brake lever. They’ve been on the bike since I got it, and I assume that they are adding the desired mass to reduce the bar vibration that I have heard about.

I did a search here to see what people are using on their V11’s, and Manic Salamander bar end weights keep coming up, but they seem to be unavailable. What is the bar end weight that works well on these bikes? and/or does anyone have a source for the Manic Salamanders? Harpers sells some for $12.95 for 7/8” bars. My bars are the stock clip-ons. I assume that they are 7/8” but I have yet to remove the mirrors to measure the inside diameter of the bars.

Any recommendations? I guess I could just stick a couple of wine corks in the ends (Chianti, of course!) and be done with it.

Thank you!

@Czakky led the way for us to re-purpose wine cork as true and trusted V11 kit. :thumbsup:

IMG_7185.jpg

@Kane, do you have the original V11 clip-on weights? They are excellent and can be machined to accept something like CRG bar-ends:

IMG_9138.jpg

• Like 1

Kane - take a look at my ad for stock bars / mirrors in classifieds. I had bar end weights fitted (by same mechanic we talked about in the Marabese thread) when I purchased the bike - he also purchased a V11 and recommended these ... not sure of brand but they are good quality and in good condition (little used as I fitted the Magni subsequently) - and still have stock plugs for the bars if these removed. PM if interested and see if we can work something out ... and yes, promise not to ship you a pair of corks!

DSC04229.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Docc, thanks for that advice, I don’t have the originals, just the bar end mirrors. Not much luck finding them on the net. Harpers shows only the weight retaining rod.

Gio, thank you! I will look at your ad and PM you.

What a great resource this place is! 

Docc, that’s an intertesing and cool pic.

What’s going on there?

I really envy you guys with nice shop areas to work on your bikes.

Corks are so handy! They are also useful for stopping low end gurgles in saxophones!

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Docc, that’s an intertesing and cool pic.

What’s going on there?

I really envy you guys with nice shop areas to work on your bikes.

Corks are so handy! They are also useful for stopping low end gurgles in saxophones!

I was fortunate to encounter that clever corking, and that V11's awesome owner czakky, at a curious V11 meet-up in Tampa, Florida a few years back. czakky will have to speak for himself on the cork thing, but I found it a fabulous testimony to tasteful resourcefulness!

DSCN3101.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool! So corks go with wine, and wine goes with pasta.......how about a west coast Guzzi run, we can call it “The Spaghetti Western Run”! :food::race:

• Haha 2

Heh, there ya go: Spaghetti Western SpineRaid! :mg:

As to bar end weights, you should score Gio's kit on offer. Resell the parts you don't need. Or keep them forever in a special cabinet squirreled away in the corner of the shop . . . :unsure:

The original clip-on/weight set-up really works well as long as the throttle body balance and state of tune has been seen to. I also find Italian made ProGrip SuperBike grips help.

The small, convex CRG bar-end mirrors probably damp some as well. But when I had the original bar-end weights machined down for their clamps, I learned to appreciate the cost of precision machine work. I recall it was $85US "back in the day." :huh:

You could just use the original mirrors, but I got tired of the view of my elbows . . .

Those original "stalk" mirrors also stick up quite a lot. Taking a page from Kane's inspiration, I recently removed my long-time Stucchi flyscreen and have been really digging going nekkid again . . . :o

IMG_1379.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for more good advice, docc. I have the original stalk mirror but have never had them on the bike. Your bar end mirrors look a bit more tucked in than the Napoleons that are on my bike.

Interesting that you’ve taken off the Stucci fly screen and are running around nekkid again. Why go nekkid when you had a perfectly fine bikini on? I actually recently covered my front end with a matching green Stucci flyscreen that I found N.O.S. I couldn’t friggin’ believe that I found one. I like the look, for sure. Not sure how much of a difference it’s making, but it’s cool to have on the bike.

Here’s little Miss Kane on the Green Goddess just after fitting the Stucci:

F4076C6A-F43F-49A9-8162-C1B8955EB1D4.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kane said:

Btw, I see that you’re in middle Tennessee, You OK? Hope so!

Hey, thanks, bud. So far, all I know have checked in safe. Our primary fuel distribution and (restaurant) food distribution centers are affected. Really dedicated and smart people are working non-stop to restore services. I cannot express the admiration and amazement I have for the linemen that go out in these things to restore power and communication. And the emergency personnel that spring to action and work themselves to the bone. 

Every time the lightning strikes and the power goes out, I think of guys I know kissing their wife and kids on the cheek in the middle of the night saying, "Gotta go, y'all. Be right back." Firefighters I know sating, "Sorry I'm late, I was saving lives."

Pull together. Be strong. Make a difference. (Thanks for asking!)

• Thanks 1

FWIW, here is the set up on my V11 as purchased from the original owner.  The left side CRG bar end mirror was unfortunately static drop tested in my driveway early on and survived with only some scratches, mostly hidden now with a bit of black touch up paint (the left turn signal was terminal).  The newer CRG models seem to go for about one Benjamin a pair.  I'm pretty happy with these mirrors, adjusted so my elbows take only about a quarter of the field of view.  I wouldn't put up with the high rise stock mirrors or equivalent.  (Hmmm, looks like the scooter needs a bath. ^_^)

CRGbarend1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks very much for posting that pic. That looks like a pretty good design: almost flush with the end of bar end weights, and what looks like a ball-and-socket fitment between the mirror and the clamp. Sweet! The Napoleon bar end mirrors on my bike provide a really good view, just road and no elbow, but they do stick out, albeit a cool cafe look. In California it’s been legal for a few years now to “lane share” with the cages, and the cages pile up quicker than shipping containers at the L.A. Harbor. So mirror slapping is an issue when The Green Goddess is wearing a Texas Longhorn headdress. But the view from the longer reach of the Napoleon mirrors is quite good.....maybe I need to work more on my front end shimmy traffic dance.  I’ve never been totally comfortable blowing down the road between the lanes of cars and trucks, it’s one of the few anxieties that I have when riding around here. I commute a few times a week on the 60 to the 10 in my truck going to farmers markets in the Santa Monica area. The traffic sucks! If I don’t leave by 5am I am screwed. Yet I am passed all morning by “lane sharing” CHP bikes and Harley dressers and Goldwing types of bikes slicing through traffic like a shaky  knife through butter, and those things are cruise ship wide. 

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks very much for posting that pic. That looks like a pretty good design: almost flush with the end of bar end weights, and what looks like a ball-and-socket fitment between the mirror and the clamp. Sweet! The Napoleon bar end mirrors on my bike provide a really good view, just road and no elbow, but they do stick out, albeit a cool cafe look. In California it’s been legal for a few years now to “lane share” with the cages, and the cages pile up quicker than shipping containers at the L.A. Harbor. So mirror slapping is an issue when The Green Goddess is wearing a Texas Longhorn headdress. But the view from the longer reach of the Napoleon mirrors is quite good.....maybe I need to work more on my front end shimmy traffic dance.  I’ve never been totally comfortable blowing down the road between the lanes of cars and trucks, it’s one of the few anxieties that I have when riding around here. I commute a few times a week on the 60 to the 10 in my truck going to farmers markets in the Santa Monica area. The traffic sucks! If I don’t leave by 5am I am screwed. Yet I am passed all morning by “lane sharing” CHP bikes and Harley dressers and Goldwing types of bikes slicing through traffic like a shaky  knife through butter, and those things are cruise ship wide. 

with the Napoleon's I've used in the past on other bikes, I have spun the mirror around on the ball to make the short side outward. depending on your personal ergos, it might work for you.

• Thanks 1