Best Tyre for the Stelvio?

LangleyMalc

Hi Guys,  How about another tyre thread?  What is the perceived wisdom for Stelvio tyres?  I will be doing around 80-90% tar and the rest gravel.  Not likely to be doing any real dirt on it.  The Internet suggests Continental TKC 70s (60/40) or Continental Trail Attack (90/10) in the Premium tyres range or Shinzo 705's (80/20 and cheap) but I have never heard of them!  All suggestions gratefully received.  Thanks in advance.M.

• Like 1

I'm running the Mitas E-07s on mine. They have a pretty aggressive tread for an ADV tire.  I mostly ride asphalt and they handle quite well. I do graded dirt roads and slightly rougher dirt roads whenever possible, and I have bounced over a few rocky sections, but nothing really technical. They work much better than the stock 90/10 tires. The Mitas is supposed to be a long-wearing tire, but I have not been going slow enough to have that experience. 

FWIW - I replaced the rear TKC 80 on my Husqvarna 701 with the Heidenau K60s - for much improved traction and seems to be wearing better.

• Like 1

Tried Heidenau K60's, didn't like them.  Very slippery in the wet, even though it doesn't happen often here.  Haven't tried the Mitas, but they do look good.  BTW, TKC70 and TKC80 are totally different tires.  70 for more street, 80 is a knobby.  Were that my Stelvio, I'd go with TKC70's.

• Like 2

On my recently departed 1400 I had TKC 70's, loved 'em, but they aren't the longest lived tyres. I'm on a bit of a Conti binge at the moment. I've got Sport Attacks on my Griso,they stick like shit to a blanket but they also evaporate. If I get 6K km out of a set I'm doing well!

Right now it has Shinko 804/805’s on it. They look too aggressive for me for what I am going to be doing particularly as most of it will be road. 
Based on the comments to date it looks like TKC 70’s. One alternative might be Shinko 705’s. They are supposed to be TKC 70 knock offs with better wear so presumably less grip on the road.  One review suggested that the 705’s were harder and nearer 80/20 while the TKC70’s were 70/30. Also somewhere I read that the TKC70’s can get a front wheel wobble??

Unless anyone tells me differently I think it will be the Contis for now but I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind!

Thanks

M. 

Go and ask on the Stelvio thread on ADV. it'll take you at least three lifetimes to reach any conclusions and you will probably take your own life after about a day as it will seem like a blessed relief compared to weighing up the options held forth as if pearls before swine by the mighty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having trawled the Internet I have come to the conclusion that opinions on tyres are best described as many and varied! ( the polite version!). I have come to value the opinions of the people on this site - I think that is age related but a too polite to say so openly. Something about the people attracted to Guzzi’s of this particular era. 
so. Right now Conti TKC 70s at the top of the wish list. 
one thought was to run the Shinko Big Blocks for say 1,000ks as they are part worn and then decide how much I dislike them before changing over tyres for the rest of the trip. This would likely reinforce my appreciation for smoother tyres for my type of riding 🤯

• Like 2

I run Shinko 705 on my DR650, they are a bargain compared to most of the other tires.

I like them on pavement, pretty good on firm gravel roads, but not enough open tread for loose gravel or mud.

I don't know that I'd want to run them on a heavier bike like a Stelvio though,jmho.

I have Shinko on my DR650, works decently for the street.  For the dirt, well, okay for a smooth fire road, but that's as technical a situation as I want to push an overweight, undersuspended pig like a DR650 anyway.  ;)  As an aging serious trail rider who gave it up a few years back, here's my rant (again?):  Any tire that works well in the dirt will get burned up in a thousand miles or less of street riding and then be worthless in the dirt.  Any tire that can last a few thousand miles on the street is about worthless in the dirt from the gitgo.  Of course, I'm talking serious dirt riding here, not an occasional gravel road, so this contention has somewhat limited application to the big brontosaurs even heavier than my DR and so even less appropriate for real dirt.  I think Shinko is likely the best current trade off between price, dirt traction and lifespan.  JMHO.  B)

• Like 1

+1 on Mitas E07 tires. I’ve got 5000 miles on mine and they’ve got another few thousand in them. Stable in pavement wet or dry, solid cornering, used on gravel, dirt and rocks on my NTX. I’ll def be getting another set. Get the Dakar version if using more off road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1