Cleaning exhaust header pipes

Tinus89

Hi all,

Sorry for making a new topic for this, but after searching for about 10 minutes I gave up.

My header pipes are starting to look dull and have spots on them, most likely from oil  which burnt. Who has cleaned their exhaust header pipes and how?
Which products used, which tools etc.
I'm in doubt whether I should clean them or learn to love the patina:)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tinus89 said:

Hi all,

Sorry for making a new topic for this, but after searching for about 10 minutes I gave up.

My header pipes are starting to look dull and have spots on them, most likely from oil  which burnt. Who has cleaned their exhaust header pipes and how?
Which products used, which tools etc.
I'm in doubt whether I should clean them or learn to love the patina:)

Thanks!

If you want to return them to the original brushed finish after a long time then its a lot of work with a Scotchbrite wheel of fine sanding flap wheel with the headers off. I started it once and although the finish I was getting was nice the time factor made me give up.

Personally If if it was really important to me i'd pull them and take them to a metal finisher and they'd clean them up in ten minutes. They'll just end up the same way in a short time though. 

Be interested to know any easy solutions as well.

Ciao    

• Like 2

I do like my bronze patina original to my headers, but I wouldn't care for it if it were splotchy or mottled form oil spatter, etc.  I would be looking to even the finish out, but keep it "brushed" . . . .

You can make stainless look like a pewter dollar with a big buffing wheel and rouge. Off the bike, of course. Once you do that, you have to be careful to keep your fingers off.. they have oil on them. That way, they'll turn bronze more evenly.

• Like 2

I spend a few mins with 320 grit wet n dry to get them clean, then 1200 grit to finish.  Don’t know whether that’s an acceptable way to do it, but it works alright.

• Like 1