V11 Tenni

Guzzicruiser

1 hour ago, Guzzicruiser said:

Ok so here’s what I’ve got:
aa0c583d1823a195f3df0077ad95edd9.jpg

Sure looks like an aluminum flywheel to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, it appears the nefarious "aluminum" flywheel really is bi-metal with the flanks/sides steel and the friction surface and attachment points to the crankshaft aluminum (?)

Ouch, buddy! That hurts just to look at . . .

So, even though it looks like ferrous "rust" on some of the images, and a different metal interface at the front, the entire ("single plate") flywheel is aluminum?

Should be totally straightforward for concerned owners of Rosso Mandello, Scura, and Tenni to test their flywheel with a magnet through the timing mark viewing port . . .

:thumbsup:

here's the 'door stop' from the Tenni. The alm flywheel is all alm with one two sided clutch plate a 'disc' spring (last) and a pressure plate.
IMG-1438.JPG
IMG-1439.JPG
IMG-1440.JPG
you'll see the actuating rod cup in the middle
IMG_0947.JPG

What on earth are the areas where it looks like metal is missing? That looks somewhat what you can see through the inspection port in my pic

here are some layers.. the clutch/flywheel were removed with 12k miles... so pretty new.

on the right the ring gear with clutch plate laid on. left is flywheel with intermediate plate and spring 'disc' (not really sure what to call the spring thing)

IMG-1444.JPG

IMG-1445.JPG

IMG-1446.JPG

the one on top is the ring with starter teeth and the raised bits that look so bad in the pics. It's fine up close and personal.

IMG-1447.JPG

• Thanks 1

here are some layers.. the clutch/flywheel were removed with 12k miles... so pretty new.
on the right the ring gear with clutch plate laid on. left is flywheel with intermediate plate and spring 'disc' (not really sure what to call the spring thing)
IMG-1444.JPG
IMG-1445.JPG
IMG-1446.JPG
the one on top is the ring with starter teeth and the raised bits that look so bad in the pics. It's fine up close and personal.
IMG-1447.JPG

Ok gotcha - thank you so much for taking the time to share the pics of each part - really helpful.

I feel like we’ve gone into the ditch with the clutch issues but it’s obviously a real concern and has everything to do with the Tenni (among others), so thanks to all for your input!

So what’s an aluminum flywheel owner to do nowadays? Do parts exist to resolve this issue or do we just hope for the best and pray we don’t end up with a parts bike?

It's easy enough to change to the common dual plate clutch, although expensive. Some here have gone to the Ram single plate clutch. A search should find some info..

(not really sure what to call the spring thing)

I'd call it a Belleville spring.

• Thanks 1

As Chuck point's out Ram makes a steel single plate clutch/flywheel. Very nice, it's what I used. They made them to replace dual plate clutches in our 6 speed tranny's and the 5 speeders. They do not sell one for the 6 speed any longer but the 5 speed are still available. They stopped selling the 6 speed one because they could no longer get the clutch hub #GU01211640 from MG. The good news is the hub is already in your Tenni. Other than that and the diameter (fixable) of the actuator rod hole in the clutch's 'cup', the 6 and 5 speed kit's are the same. So this and the standard dual plate clutch gives you two options.

GU01211640

GU01211640.jpg

• Like 1