Crash damage

Zooter

Tenni low sided into a bank. Ain't going to be a Tenni no more. Sorry no pics. I noted sheared steering stop lead to sheared front brake line 6'' below reservoir. Rear rack is bent up and across along with exhaust taken a shove inboard about 3/4". No case damage that I saw.

What chance the frame isn't bent? How do you tell? It's not test rideable, no gearshift and clutch switch messed up.

Insurance want far too much for the wreck, but they would not deregister it. It flipped up and touched up the other side as well. If fixed up pretty enough it just has to get wof and onwards. Might be worth a negotiation to put it back on road but not if it's bent!

• Sad 2

Check the web for a M/C frame shop or fabricator. They might be able to jig it up and make some measurements.

Only possible for me to inspect at the salvage yard. Best I could do is get it straight up and down in my front wheel chock.

I don't think that would be accurate enough to tell if the steering isn't as straight as it could be just from eyeballing where the back wheel is pointed when the bike is ostensibly all lined up. If that makes sense.

Difficult call there. If you can get it cheaply enough, there are stripped spine frames for sale, but that would be another mess.

Best thing is that you are OK.

• Like 1

Oh man, sorry to hear that, you just got a few scrapes?  Nothing too long term painful?

I guess, depending on whether you want to, you could buy a fresh v11 and retain the old one for stripping and inspection.  If it’s in a bad way you’ll have plenty of spares?

I know that informed opinion is that v11s don’t crash well, but I’ve suffered 2 low-speed low sides and managed to fix her up fine.

Here in WA (not Western Australia - although I wish it was), we have the good fortune of having a cracking good frame shop. Everything from a straightening to a Spondon-type fab up. I still have the TX650 swingarm he beefed up for me in the early 80s. 

http://www.wascoframe.com/

23 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

Oh man, sorry to hear that, you just got a few scrapes?  Nothing too long term painful?

I guess, depending on whether you want to, you could buy a fresh v11 and retain the old one for stripping and inspection.  If it’s in a bad way you’ll have plenty of spares?

I know that informed opinion is that v11s don’t crash well, but I’ve suffered 2 low-speed low sides and managed to fix her up fine.

I got a tap on he noggin which slowed me down for a few days, and bruised a quad. Surprised to see the amount of bent stuff on the bike for what felt like a pretty mild drop.

No frame shop anywhere near.

It wouldn't be worth the effort of buying it back if it's bent the frame.

Three years ago this month (almost to the day) I crashed my GPz500S into an embankment at about 40MPH/60KPH and broke collarbone, glenoid (shoulder) and 5 ribs into 12 pieces. Overnighter in the trauma center. Bent handlebar, broken rear brake pedal stop and a dent in the tank from my shoulder. The bike fared much better than I did, as I managed to ride it home, albeit quite a bit more slowly.

First, glad you're ok. 

Hope you get the bike running.  Without pictures hard to say but your description sounds fixable.  That spine is pretty stout piece of steel, so it's likely still straight.  I'd imagine the attaching points and hardware would be the areas of concern.

If the steering stop busted I'd look real careful at the lower bearing race where the steering stem goes thru the neck. The steering head can become out of round, ovalized, BTDT on a Tonti frame.

2 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

If the steering stop busted I'd look real careful at the lower bearing race where the steering stem goes thru the neck. The steering head can become out of round, ovalized, BTDT on a Tonti frame.

I can look but I doubt I would see too much as it sits. I am not familiar with the arrangement of tree clamps and bearings vs frame neck. If memory serves it would be a pair of 'conical' bearings cinched up with a bolt.

I might be able to lift the front to give the forks a shake if that would tell anything.

One of the reasons Pete says that V11s don't crash well is the front engine mount is on what I would call the accessory case on an aircraft engine. It's not uncommon to find it cracked, and the tubing tweaked. I would give that area a hard look.

• Like 1

In other news, I am off to get covid 19 tested. When it rains it pours. I am feeling quite ok but had the trifecta of dry cough sore throat and a bit of temperature, all very mild, which kicked off on Sunday afternoon and been in isolation ( and waiting on insurance assesor until Tues ) since.

Kinda handy as it gives me space to delay the decision on buying back the wreck to where I can be confident it's returnable to the road. I love that machine.

Just hope I didn't give Coorona to anyone else in the interim. Seems a lot of people only get mild or no symptoms.

Trust everyone keeps their social distancing going for as long as it takes for it to get under control.