Crash damage

Zooter

Good luck with all that Zooter, wish you the best.

I bought a bike that was crashed. A member here bought it from the ins co and rebuilt it. Wasn't too bad he said. I bought it for parts and it rode very nicely. I stripped it completely. With everything off, the main frame is basically a 2X4 with a cylinder attached at each end. Vertical one at the front for the forks and a horizontal at the rear that the chops attach to.  It's obvious to me it would twist easily with enough force. I casually put a couple of 6' pipes through the frame cylinders to form a cross and they didn't look right. I think it's a little twisted. If I have a go at it again and do it right, with help, I think it could be straightened. If yours flipped it's most likely tweaked.

If you did rebuild it, what would the title show? In US we get a 'rebuilt' or 'salvage' title, which lowers resale value considerably.

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport KT Bj. 2003 - Frame N27A

I know it's been said already, but I've read also that spiney's don't crash well, I think one of the main concerns might have been cracks on the transmission case for engine or frame supports? IIRC.

If you're thinking about getting it back and putting it on the road, if you can go over all the frame junctions, especially the steering head area, with a real bright light and good glasses looking for spider checking in the paint from bending stress.

If you took real good measurements from both sides of the bike at fixed points from the front to the back and top to bottom you "might" be able to confirm if the frame is still relatively square/even or bent/mismatched, ie axle/swingarm, steering head/swingarm,engine mounts/swingarm/axle etc.

Sorry about the get off, that sucks; but very glad that you came out of it better than the bike.

Take your time to heal up well.

Good luck, take care

Kelly

edited: I should have read all the posts before I replied,lol. I see that Chuck has you covered re the info on the engine and timing chest mounts, but wth, you could check the tranny mounts while you're at it too,lol.

If it looked straight and damage free for major components and I knew and loved the bike, it would be in the garage,js, glad it's you making the decision and not me,lol. good luck. 

38 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Good luck with all that Zooter, wish you the best.

I bought a bike that was crashed. A member here bought it from the ins co and rebuilt it. Wasn't too bad he said. I bought it for parts and it rode very nicely. I stripped it completely. With everything off, the main frame is basically a 2X4 with a cylinder attached at each end. Vertical one at the front for the forks and a horizontal at the rear that the chops attach to.  It's obvious to me it would twist easily with enough force. I casually put a couple of 6' pipes through the frame cylinders to form a cross and they didn't look right. I think it's a little twisted. If I have a go at it again and do it right, with help, I think it could be straightened. If yours flipped it's most likely tweaked.

If you did rebuild it, what would the title show? In US we get a 'rebuilt' or 'salvage' title, which lowers resale value considerably.

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport KT Bj. 2003 - Frame N27A

Thanks.

When they are obviously 'bent' insurance companies are obliged to de-register the wreck. The 'title' is gone. Then to re register it a full on inspection up the wazoo from ''here is the mess'' all along the way to ''ta-da!" is needed,  Not sure what the new rego says. Probably ''rebuilt'' or something. Nobody seems to try to hide it in auctions.

If not de registered only a legal requirements restoration is required to pass regular w.o.f inspection. Then is just a used bike with a paint job and new levers and garfs on the undercarriage which makes buyers even more leery than re registered.

3 hours ago, Zooter said:

In other news, I am off to get covid 19 tested. When it rains it pours. I am feeling quite ok but had the trifecta of dry cough sore throat and a bit of temperature, all very mild, which kicked off on Sunday afternoon and been in isolation ( and waiting on insurance assesor until Tues ) since.

Kinda handy as it gives me space to delay the decision on buying back the wreck to where I can be confident it's returnable to the road. I love that machine.

Just hope I didn't give Coorona to anyone else in the interim. Seems a lot of people only get mild or no symptoms.

Trust everyone keeps their social distancing going for as long as it takes for it to get under control.

For sure hope you don't have it.  Best to you.

14 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

I know it's been said already, but I've read also that spiney's don't crash well, I think one of the main concerns might have been cracks on the transmission case for engine or frame supports? IIRC.

If you're thinking about getting it back and putting it on the road, if you can go over all the frame junctions, especially the steering head area, with a real bright light and good glasses looking for spider checking in the paint from bending stress.

If you took real good measurements from both sides of the bike at fixed points from the front to the back and top to bottom you "might" be able to confirm if the frame is still relatively square/even or bent/mismatched, ie axle/swingarm, steering head/swingarm,engine mounts/swingarm/axle etc.

Sorry about the get off, that sucks; but very glad that you came out of it better than the bike.

Take your time to heal up well.

Good luck, take care

Kelly

Taking best of care but not getting far trying to get tested at the moment. Plenty of food in the house.

Any measures I take have to be as it sits at the wrecker's. Hard to visualize anything straight line, too much exhaust and tank in the way.

Any cunning ideas?

I could measure pork chops to steering centre point somewhere with string but no guarantee bike is actually fully symmetrical there by design. Dammit 

6 minutes ago, Zooter said:

Taking best of care but not getting far trying to get tested at the moment. Plenty of food in the house.

Any measures I take have to be as it sits at the wrecker's. Hard to visualize anything straight line, too much exhaust and tank in the way.

Any cunning ideas?

I could measure pork chops to steering centre point somewhere with string but no guarantee bike is actually fully symmetrical there by design. Dammit 

I like Foot's photo of the frame with the 2 cylinders at either end and his idea of throwing a 6' sraight bar through the back holes in the pork chop area.

The pipe/bar may give you a visual idea if something is wonky, but if you measured it carefully and secured it centered in the frame, the ends of it could give you a point of reference to verify measurements to vital parts of the frame, fwiw. 

With other bikes, I’ve used a long straight edge (5-6 ft angle iron or wood) carefully placed along the sides of the rear tire and then checking distance between the straight edge and front tire, then compared with the same process on the other side of bike. Just a variation of the string alignment method, might give an idea of any major steering head tweak. Never tried it on my Sport, so I don’t know if there’s anything blocking (exhaust, etc) from actually doing this.

Hope you recover quickly from whatever it is that ails you.

Edited by Bob Maynard

Correct me if I am wrong.

On a straight bike if the front wheel is perpendicular to the ground the steering must be straight ahead when the back wheel is also perpendicular.

By that logic, I should be able to make the front wheel perpendicular in my chock and in line with the back wheel. If the back wheel has to be on the piss to go behind the front then the bike is bent. 

That makes sense to me, if front is perpendicular and rear tire contact patch is in line with front contact patch, the rear should also be perpendicular. Providing you can get good places on tire edges to check whether perpendicular and neither wheel is bent. After all, I assume you’re just looking for major misalignment. A fair amount of motorcycles come from the factory tweaked a tiny bit.

11 hours ago, Zooter said:

Correct me if I am wrong.

On a straight bike if the front wheel is perpendicular to the ground the steering must be straight ahead when the back wheel is also perpendicular.

By that logic, I should be able to make the front wheel perpendicular in my chock and in line with the back wheel. If the back wheel has to be on the piss to go behind the front then the bike is bent. 

Like Bob Maynard has echoed I think you might be onto a redneck fix that would work.

To help you see if things are out of alignment, it would help if you had 4 good long straight edges, clamp 2 on the outside of the front wheel/tire up 3-4 ft in the air, do the same on the back wheel/tire and then stand far to the back and front and see if those straight edges are still parallel.

Good luck with it

Kelly