New tank questions

Grim

10 minutes ago, Grim said:

As I need to make a mold, then a plug of the tank ( before making a final mold then laying up carbon fibre/kevlar), I would need to source a pump and the mounting plate first (my spare tank that I am taking the initial mold from is an external pump model) in order to rework the plug to feature a larger flat area and cut-out for the internal pump. I guess I can't avoid this step if I want to get rid of the chin pad anyway!

I take it the wiring from the external pump is easy enough to graft on to the internal pump??

You would need to get an aluminium mount plate made up to mould into the new tank. Easiest way would be to take a mould from the later tank. I've made fibreglass fuel tank moulds and tanks from scratch as well. The wiring for the internal pump is no big issue just a wiring splice and plug for the level sensor and pump.

Ciao  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, swooshdave said:

I think you could work around the vent issue.

Id want to make a 850 Lemans style tank if I were going through the trouble. I posted about such a thing a while ago.

Im curious if there's a practical way to fit maybe a new V7 tank. It's an idea. I wonder if there's a way to get around the internal fuel pump? I've never popped off a newer v7 tank. Similar to an 850 tank in looks and Im sure far more plentiful. 

2 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

Im curious if there's a practical way to fit maybe a new V7 tank. It's an idea. I wonder if there's a way to get around the internal fuel pump? I've never popped off a newer v7 tank. Similar to an 850 tank in looks and Im sure far more plentiful. 

I spent a lot of time and mental energy trying to find a solution for fitting an internal pump to an older external pump tank and shelved the idea. Like most things its probably possible but just too hard to physically do. My criteria was to be able to fit a pump and filter inside the old style tank without modifying the tank itself.

Ciao   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

This may sound too simple and plebian but why not take out the internal pump,plug the nipples an put new one? Or heck, just plug the ones to the pump and tap new ones? 

I too have been flirting the idea of old school Lemans bodywork to a V11 Lemans and using a V7 tank was part of it. 

Maybe I wasnt clear. My quest was to have the old style tank with the external pump and somehow convert it to run an internal pump and filter without getting into sawing holes into the tank,ie leaving the old style tank standard and somehow arranging the fitment of pump,filter and hoses through the original tank cap hole.

If you managed to get that done and the outlet and return sorted you could just fill the tank with anti sloshing foam to stop the pump and filter assembly from flopping about as I couldnt see any way of anchoring them inside the tank.

The only issue with your old school look idea is the major sacrifice you would make to fuel quantity 

Ciao