New Zealand infections  just passed 28, with no community transmissions yet. They have just closed the borders to all except NZ residents, and they have to "self isolate" for 14 days. We feel for China and Italy, and worry about the same happening here.

Working from home could be my next step. Dream job, working in my shorts from home. 

It is fun watching goofballs panic-buying toilet paper at supermarkets, instead of buying essential items like coffee and ice-cream.  :huh: 

1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

New Zealand infections  just passed 28, with no community transmissions yet. They have just closed the borders to all except NZ residents, and they have to "self isolate" for 14 days. We feel for China and Italy, and worry about the same happening here.

Working from home could be my next step. Dream job, working in my shorts from home. 

It is fun watching goofballs panic-buying toilet paper at supermarkets, instead of buying essential items like coffee and ice-cream.  :huh: 

Don't stress NZ doesn't have the same issues as Italy in that it has the worlds 2nd oldest average population compounded by the fact that they also have a very high level of contact with the younger members of their family's which tend to be less/minimally affected but transfer the virus to their elders.

The panic buying here is just nuts. I totally refuse to get involved with that moronic behaviour.

Ciao

I'm reading a lot of good books on Cloud library and Libby, free if you have a library card!

and building Art in my garage now that my welding class is postponed. Can't show it yet but it's pretty ambitious after my first found object art project.

First project was a weathervane shown here not yet finished,

2020031907440493-4524394627531356990-IMG

• Like 3

I’ve been reading also, and thanks for the inspiration. Years ago, I saw welding classes offered locally and wished I had time for them. Now retired, I have time as long as civilization doesn’t collapse before virus clears. Nice weathervane!

So far, we're home, doing yard work between rain storms.  My plans are to do some riding and bike servicing and  to plant a garden.  The city is just now closing the bars, restaurants, & gyms. 

I discovered yesterday that juggling landscape timbers is a pretty good substitute for weight training.  I think I'll get one just to hoist around in the backyard.  It's light enough when balanced but too heavy on the ends.  Seems pretty versatile for a weight.  I don't think walking will be a substitute for elliptical training but I have difficulty running (flat feet).

I have lots of reading to catch up.  For me BBQ is a sport.  I have one son working from home and another trying to find online work.  I would imagine they'll be both be out of work soon.  I can carry their rent for a year or so if I have to.  I have no idea what medical bills might be.  We're in our mid/late 60s, so we'll have to keep our distance.  I really need to hang in, so I can keep my pension coming in.

You might notice that I mentioned volunteer disaster/medical in another thread.  I have signed up now.  So far I've gotten a notice for data entry help.  My state is in dire need of virus testing, so we're shutting down everything as a precaution.  I'll just end it now before I tell you my real opinion about where we're at here.

Best to you all.  Glad I have this community to stay in touch.

Doing fine, but there appear to be unreported symptoms with widespread community transmission.

To wit....what I see in my efforts to promote social distancing.....

Corona%20(2).JPG

What everyone else sees....

100_0361.jpg

• Haha 2

Today is the first day staying at home in California. I took a pre-dawn walk with the dog to the main street at the edge of my neighborhood. Still some light traffic, which I assume were people on their way to "essential work" such as healthcare, sanitation, power supply, etc. Saw a couple big military trucks roll by. Wednesday, a solo military helicopter landed at our local airport - I assume the passengers are now in charge of that airport.

My daughters are all home (one returned from college a few days ago). So we are safe and stocked up on essentials. Taking a cue from the Italians, we've got a load of pasta and tomato sauce. 

I'm all set up to work at home (have always maintained a home-office), and putting in long hours. My business is hit hard by this and we (like most other small businesses) are scrambling to figure out what this will mean to us. In each of our offices (UK, Singapore, 3 in the US), we made everybody take home whatever they needed to work from home. Yesterday, we did a video meeting and showed off our new "offices" to each other. We went totally virtual as we are expecting this restriction to go nation-wide.

Last night (hours before the California stay-at-home deadline), I delivered a bunch of food to one of my team who has a high-risk profile for this virus - he is on self-imposed 100% quarantine till this is over. He said (though his upstairs window) "You don't realize how much certain activities mean to you until you can't do them." I told him to remember that he has a rebellious friend with a dirt bike who knows how to find things.

This thing is totally surreal. A few weeks ago, I made my family watch the movie Contagion. They didn't think that was going to happen. But here we are.

I hope Moto Guzzi (which is near the epicenter of the Italian outbreak) can make it to their 100th birthday.

Thanks Jaap, for opening the dialogue and for setting the apolitical tone.

• Like 3

I have a couple of jobs coming up where i’ll be the sole person on site so, assuming I can purchase the materials I need, I may be able to crack on somewhat.

We’ve our 17 month old spud, who’s 30% whingepig/70% delightful, at home so spending time with my family is a pleasure.

Seeing society go thru phases of panic, madness and mis-information is weird though...  What was that phrase: “Any society is only three missed meals away from chaos” (or something similar)?  Makes sense, whereas “Any society is three sheets of bog roll away from chaos” has a different ring to it.

Social media has made me realise that the world’s actually full of experts...

• Haha 1

Be well, everyone. I hope that Guzzi and everyone can weather this storm. Viva Italia!

As of today, the state of California is under a stay at home order. My work is in agriculture and provides for farmers markets in Southern California,  which are currently designated as essential and are still open, so I am working as usual. Open air markets are a lot healthier places to be than standing in line at a super market. I have pretty much taken a break from watching the news for the past few days. Been catching up on reading and continuing my work outside, and riding is nice as there’s less traffic. Seems that the panic shopping lines have declined, except at my local Costco: the army of Costco shoppers armed with shopping carts remains in line formation around the block.  

Oooo...the iconic Duc 916. Very nice! And a very funny juxtaposition.

And a bad-ass looking Stelvio! Nice to see one stripped down a bit, more of a practical daily-rider configuration. That’s some lovely scenery....wonder where it is.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Oooo...the iconic Duc 916. Very nice! And a very funny juxtaposition.

And a bad-ass looking Stelvio! Nice to see one stripped down a bit, more of a practical daily-rider configuration. That’s some lovely scenery....wonder where it is.

The Stelvio does not have a US plate, but the lad's calves aren't big enough for it to be the Scottish coastline . . . :grin:

• Haha 1