The NZ government is feeling a tad miffed about Covid19, so they have a plan to fix it. Here is an early draft of a press release:

"2020 to be Cancelled.

We hope that you have enough toilet paper stored now, so that soon demand will fall to zero, and the tissue manufacturers will have to lay off staff. Then they can join the rest of us in sharing the despair and misery.

That happy thought aside, we have given careful consideration to the situation, and we have decided that it is no longer in the best interests of everyone involved to proceed with 2020.

While we recognise that a lot of hard work has gone into 2020 already, if we're honest it has turned into a bit of a shitshow. We feel it is best to just call it off.

We understand that some of you were looking forward to seeing what cruel and peculiar clusterfuck of a disaster 2020 would throw up next, but on balance we believe it is probably best not to find out.

As we wait for 2021 to commence, we will provide some advice on vegetable growing, ark building, and methods of repurposing surplus toilet paper.

Our plan is to deliver a more enjoyable year, similar to say 2011, which everyone thought was the absolute worst year of all time but in retrospect was a walk in the park.

See you next year"

Meanwhile, kiwis are trying to do their bit to save the world.

image002.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 3/19/2020 at 3:56 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Don't stress NZ doesn't have the same issues as Italy in that it has the worlds 2nd oldest average population compounded by the fact that they also have a very high level of contact with the younger members of their family's which tend to be less/minimally affected but transfer the virus to their elders.

The panic buying here is just nuts. I totally refuse to get involved with that moronic behaviour.

Ciao

The cause of the outbreak in Italy was the Chinese connection. Same with Iran. While trying not to get political that is the unfortunately reality. So as long as NZ can contain any outbreaks they should be fine and probably one of the safer places in the world right now.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

But coupled with the factors you mentioned about an aged population, close social interaction along with a questionable heathcare system it not a good situation.

3 hours ago, swooshdave said:

The cause of the outbreak in Italy was the Chinese connection. Same with Iran. While trying not to get political that is the unfortunately reality. So as long as NZ can contain any outbreaks they should be fine and probably one of the safer places in the world right now.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

But coupled with the factors you mentioned about an aged population, close social interaction along with a questionable heathcare system it not a good situation.

Yep wasn't really commentating on the origin of this thing other than to say that this sort of issue isĀ now just a factor in globalisation. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now, modern world stuff. Ultimately this will be a life changing situation for everyone after the initial actions have passed and into the future. Much like 911 in a way in that day to day life will now have added requirements and obligations. I foresee temperature monitoring machines much like metal detectors popping up everywhere at major populated locations like stadiums and airports etc. temp too high and no entry allowed.

CiaoĀ 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Right, Docc. It *is* the future. Is this being overblown? I don't have a crystal ball, but we're doing everything we can to be responsible and reduce our chance of passing it on. There *is * no cure so far. Yes, it is "deuced inconvenient.. " :oldgit: I "need" to go to the lumber yard and pick up some stuff to build a wing jig that I ordered. Not happening..

• Like 1

We've been staying at home for 10 days now. After all, neither of is are spring chickens. :oldgit: This morning, I girded my loins and made a trip to the small town grocery store at 6am. It was pretty much deserted. We were getting low on fresh veggies, mainly. I was *very* careful. Dorcia had pneumonia and a lingering UR infection last year. If a lockdown happens, we could hang in for a couple of months if we had to.

Actually, I'm kind of a hermit, like to cook, and we are doing well. The worst thing is Austin is coming and going out in the shop and I can't go out there because of that. :(

I've been riding when the weather is good.Ā  Doing some bike maintenance, household projects, and yard work.Ā  Ā We're catching up on reading and playing some cards.Ā  Have my sons over for dinner once or twice a week but keep good distance and hygiene.Ā Ā 

I am still thinking of organizing some local meet up rides.Ā  Just to ride together, or meet and bring a sack lunch.Ā  It doesn't look good for rallies.Ā  Certainly social distancingĀ isn't a problem until we have a potluck meal or go to the bathroom.Ā  Still we need to be creative andĀ  figure outĀ  ways to ride andĀ Ā visit (at least a distance).Ā 

Final thought is about the virus itself.Ā  We did read that high humidity does help the lungs when fighting the virus.Ā  Also, read that humidity might have a prophylactic effect .Ā  So you guys might check this info (hard to know what to believe) and pick up an indoor humidifier.Ā  Those items seem to be plentiful.

24 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I've been riding when the weather is good.Ā  Doing some bike maintenance, household projects, and yard work.Ā  Ā We're catching up on reading and playing some cards.Ā  Have my sons over for dinner once or twice a week but keep good distance and hygiene.Ā Ā 

I am still thinking of organizing some local meet up rides.Ā  Just to ride together, or meet and bring a sack lunch.Ā  It doesn't look good for rallies.Ā  Certainly social distancingĀ isn't a problem until we have a potluck meal or go to the bathroom.Ā  Still we need to be creative andĀ  figure outĀ  ways to ride andĀ Ā visit (at least a distance).Ā 

Final thought is about the virus itself.Ā  We did read that high humidity does help the lungs when fighting the virus.Ā  Also, read that humidity might have a prophylactic effect .Ā  So you guys might check this info (hard to know what to believe) and pick up an indoor humidifier.Ā  Those items seem to be plentiful.

The common advantage of humidity is that when someone coughs the heavier air drags the virus down quicker. I still haven't seen anything on what temp will kill this virus, which is strange. But more evidence is mounting that this is not some hyper-powerful virus that can break through walls and get you.

Meanwhile I'm getting a little stir crazy being locked in the house with two kids. I sprained my wrist so no riding so that's not helping either.Ā :(

i think we need to be careful, thereā€™s a shed-load of mis-information doing the rounds:Ā Ā ā€˜sipping water can wash the virus down into your stomach and the acid will neutralise itā€™, ā€˜drinking hot brews will increase your immune systemā€™, ā€˜laughter yoga is good for your chakrasā€™ etc etc etc. Ā bullshit piled upon bullshit unfortunately. Ā I guess itā€™s best to stick to official guidelines at the mo.

on a related note: iā€™m just back from a lovely ride all around derbyshire, came back thru matlock bath (traditional biker haunt) and it was absolutely packed. like rammed. Ā apparently the coast in the uk is too, so as typical brits, itā€™ll take the police + military to be rolled out before people start treating this seriously šŸ˜. Ā my pal up in scotland said the authorities have been turning back folks in campervans who are scarpering oop norf to isolate...

oh well, stay healthy guys. and no kissy kissy!

• Haha 2

Stewgnu,

The schools are closed here in Ohio so we're at home alot & watching funny movies; watched 'The Full Monty' last night, set in Sheffield.

Had the subtitles on but the kids still had to have 'Yorkshire' translated for themĀ :lol:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, nobleswood said:

Stewgnu,

The schools are closed here in Ohio so we're at home alot & watching funny movies; watched 'The Full Monty' last night, set in Sheffield.

Had the subtitles on but the kids still had to have 'Yorkshire' translated for themĀ :lol:

haha! Ā reight gud, thaā€™ knows?

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, nobleswood said:

Stewgnu,

Back at the turn of the century.. *this one* :oldgit::D We visited friends in the small village of Gamblingay and they took us all over England for 3 weeks. We literally couldn't understand most people in Yorkshire..

What an unforgettable trip that was..

• Like 1