I worked 35 years as an expatriate, and started my career in Africa.

The first requirement I had to undergo, back in 1980, was to get all my shots, and a vaccine booklet which I still have today. Most likely a collector.

To enter any African country in the 80's, you needed a proof of Yellow Fever vaccination. Checked by an officer even before getting to passport control. That was 40 years ago.

Throughout my professional wanderings, I had to take whatever my company or client we worked for recommended.

Imposed (and paid) by my company, I had to have an annual medical checkup during which all my vaccinations were kept current.

From 2000 until 2006, I worked in Chad, and the client had a protocol to access the site, current vaccines, and malaria prophylaxis. Supplemented by random drug testings for which you had limited time to submit to.

I still managed to get hit by Plasmodium Falciparum despite taking Malarone every day. For about six years, I took it every day. Because you need to continue prophylaxis off site for it to be effective. Either that, or refuse to work for that operator. That was the only choice at the time.

When I was in elementary school, we had some expatriate students who had had the poliomyelitis because they had not been vaccinated when kids.

I am not giving any advice, you guys know better what to do.

But I am still alive, 65, exposed to tropical diseases and exotic hygiene, and the only time I got a flu shot was because it was required to get my permanent residency, along with absolutely every other vaccine shot that have been discovered. 

I have been vaccinated with the J&J in April this year. If excepted for the tiredness the following day, I am still able to ride my Le Mans for hours without letting off.

And I never got the flu, ever...

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, Pressureangle said:

I don't usually touch this subject in the wild, but I'll stick this out there. I did a lot of homework, read a lot of medical and white papers and here's what I've discovered. Disclaimer; the Medical Industrial Complex does not endorse this statement.

Melatonin. early research into why age was such a significant contributor to mortality found that Melatonin uses the same ACE-2 receptors that COVID attaches to. Kids have a ton of natural melatonin, after 40 we make far less, and less as we age. Melatonin blocks COVID from attaching. I take 20mg before bed every night; discussing with a friend who has an unspecified congenital lung condition, she and her pulmonologist discovered that 20mg/day of melatonin is actually a known therapy for her condition. I'll save space and tell you that I and a few friends also discovered a marked improvement in lung capacity and ease of breathing after a month. You will feel like a 15 year old kid who sleeps all day for a while. YMMV.

Vitamin D. Get it from the sun if you can. Sweat in the sun and don't wash it off for 3-4 hours. UV rays convert cholesterol in your sweat into Vit-D and you reabsorb that as a lotion; this mechanism is important to know, as the reaction takes place mostly on the surface, not in the skin so if you wash it off you get far less effect. 

Zinc. Zinc kills apparently nearly all viruses. But to do that it must be inside your cell walls, so you need to have a steady appropriate diet. Hydroxychloroquine has been in the news since day 1, but nobody wanted to say why; HCQ is an anti-parasitic, but in an unrelated mechanism chemically transports zinc to inside the cells. Even better, Ivermectin does the same, costs less, can be found everywhere (without prescription if you use veterinary Ivermectin and can do the math on dosage). I have apple-flavored horse Ivermectin, $6. I'll take it only if I get infected, though it has been around for 70 years and has zero side effects.

I use Airborne or Emergen-C daily. Airborne works so provably well that the US Military has a NSN part number for it. 

I'll not be vaccinated under any circumstance, but that's a different and less friendly thread.

Here's a professional update, with professional protocols. 

https://covid19criticalcare.com/covid-19-protocols/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up: I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Things can escalate quite fast. Expressing your opinion and/or experiences is okay, but no discussion please. This is not the right place for that.
FWIW: I've had my two Pfizer shots and apart from a day of muscle ache, no side effects whatsoever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've had two doses of AZ, no side effects apart from the penis falling off thing but I managed to stick it back on with gaffer tape and blu-tac. It doesn't get much use nowadays anyway.

Annoying side effects of the magnetism, I ended up dangling off the diff housing of a Land Cruiser on a hoist by my head at work and they had to pry me off with a crowbar......

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I got my J&J vaccine shot as soon as I was eligible for it. Actually I got it as soon as I was even somewhat eligible for it, I signed up for it before I was 100% eligible for it but by the time of the appointment I was eligible.

I had no issues with side effects, nor did the wife. We still wear masks when indoors among crowds. We still try to be careful. The big concern is not spreading the virus to others. Too many people think the primary purpose of a mask is to keep the wearer of the mask from getting sick. I disagree. I believe the primary purpose of a mask is to keep people who have the virus from spreading it. I don't wear a mask to keep myself from getting sick, I wear it to keep you from getting sick. The surgeon doesn't wear a mask during surgery to keep himself from getting sick, he wears it to keep the patient from getting sick.

It seems we as a planet are incapable of doing what it takes to overcome this. So it seems we will be dealing with it for a long time. People are unwilling to make the required concessions, unwilling to do what is required to do. Everyone wants an easy button for this, and they thought the vaccine would be that easy button. But they did not understand that it doesn't work like that.

• Like 5
On 8/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, bbolesaz said:

Looks like travel restrictions for US citizens will be coming to EU.  Boo.

Makes me wonder if they'll cancel the MotoGP race in Austin?   My attendance probability has gone down to fractions.   

Probably not going to Dusty's campout in Kansas next week.  The last campout there was in early May and it seemed so much more safer then. 

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

Makes me wonder if they'll cancel the MotoGP race in Austin?   My attendance probability has gone down to fractions.   

Probably not going to Dusty's campout in Kansas next week.  The last campout there was in early May and it seemed so much more safer then. 

Quit jinxing it!  It's a long ways away...repeat after me 3 times with feeling and enthusiasm!

I will be, at Moto GP!  I will be, at Moto GP!  I will be, at Moto GP!

46 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Quit jinxing it!  It's a long ways away...repeat after me 3 times with feeling and enthusiasm!

I will be, at Moto GP!  I will be, at Moto GP!  I will be, at Moto GP!

Paul, I think; therefore, I am.  No way, I'd front those jackals at COTA a freaking dime.  If I decide to go, I'll pay when I get there. 

Don't tell me you gave those guys your money already- other than your Texas tax dollars.  :grin:

• Like 1

Cogito ergo sum!  I love it!

I buy Moto GP tickets on the day I arrive...and just pick what's available then, been enough times to know where to hide out and find good spots!

I do still have my Stones tickets from buying them back in 2020, I just held on to them w/o requesting a refund thru Ticketmaster, so they roll to the upcoming show in November!

Luckily Texas doesn't have a state income tax...so they only get my sales tax dollars on the Black's BBQ in Lockhart!  

On 8/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, bbolesaz said:

Looks like travel restrictions for US citizens will be coming to EU.  Boo.

Some countries have phone applications that produce a QR code verifying you have been vaccinated. You can produce it wherever it is required, if required.

Even if US permanent resident, I am able to get it by producing a valid passport, signed declaration and of course the vaccine certificate.

I don't understand why a US citizen would not be able to do the same!? the only information they should care for is the identity proof and the vaccination proof.

Unfortunately, each European country as its own system, and no sharing with others. To preserve confidentiality.

19 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

I buy Moto GP tickets on the day I arrive...and just pick what's available then, been enough times to know where to hide out and find good spots!

I do still have my Stones tickets from buying them back in 2020, I just held on to them w/o requesting a refund thru Ticketmaster, so they roll to the upcoming show in November!

Luckily Texas doesn't have a state income tax...so they only get my sales tax dollars on the Black's BBQ in Lockhart!  

You missed your chance to see Charlie Watts one last time though...

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Paul, I think; therefore, I am.  No way, I'd front those jackals at COTA a freaking dime.  If I decide to go, I'll pay when I get there. 

Don't tell me you gave those guys your money already- other than your Texas tax dollars.  :grin:

It is not only COTA; DORNA is also milking us profusely.

Austin has also gone mad.... I usually go to the SXSW each year, and I have seen how the prices have just increased exponentially. Madness...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

My sister bought the Stones' DFW tix, she's inline to go, provided they don't want the paper, 'cause she ain't been vax'd and her daughter got it and her granddaughter got it bad with the delta.  So there's that.  I've seen the Stones on 3 occasions, the last one in a 10k arena..."Moonlight Mile".  

You know that COTA got $25M a year from the State for many years? (Enough to cover the F-1 fee, true)

I'll admit that some Lockhart BEEF DINO RIBS might get me there but likely on my way to Port A and the beach.  I just can't get brave enough to go in crowds.  

Mentioning bands, I'd like to go to the Dead & Co at DFW and those guys will see your papers.  Still not sure I'll make it.

• Like 1