Single plate clutch doesn’t engage

JKV11

Hello,

i had a problem with clutch, it slipped. I took the engine from the gearbox and found out that the pushrod was a little to long/thick at the end. I turned of the end in the lathe. End rebuild the engine. But now it doesn’t disengage. First i thought it was a problem with the slave cilinder, but after i took the entire backend of the bike apart, it all seems to be okay. Then i though that I turned of to much from the pushrod, so i ordered a new one. But I still have the same problem. I can’t pull in the clutch lever. It feels like there’s now pressure plate behind it.

if I look trough the gearbox I can see the pressure plate (and it is installed in the wright way).

Anybody any idea what is wrong?

Kind regards,

Jorrit

16 minutes ago, JKV11 said:

Hello,

i had a problem with clutch, it slipped. I took the engine from the gearbox and found out that the pushrod was a little to long/thick at the end. I turned of the end in the lathe. End rebuild the engine. But now it doesn’t disengage. First i thought it was a problem with the slave cilinder, but after i took the entire backend of the bike apart, it all seems to be okay. Then i though that I turned of to much from the pushrod, so i ordered a new one. But I still have the same problem. I can’t pull in the clutch lever. It feels like there’s now pressure plate behind it.

if I look trough the gearbox I can see the pressure plate (and it is installed in the wright way).

Anybody any idea what is wrong?

Kind regards,

Jorrit

Wrong length push rod. If you remove the slave cylinder and measure from the face of the actuating piston to the outer face of the gearbox housing face where the slave cylinder bolts to you should have a measurement of 18.5 - 19mm with a new single plate clutch. If you have fitted a new RAM clutch then its probable you have used a 5 speed unit which I think needs the 5 speed pushrod with the end dia machined down.

Ciao

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Wrong length push rod. If you remove the slave cylinder and measure from the face of the actuating piston to the outer face of the gearbox housing face where the slave cylinder bolts to you should have a measurement of 18.5 - 19mm with a new single plate clutch. If you have fitted a new RAM clutch then its probable you have used a 5 speed unit which I think needs the 5 speed pushrod with the end dia machined down.

Ciao

I have checked the length and it’s the same length as the old one with which it has worked, so unfortunately that’s not the problem😢.

1 hour ago, docc said:

Worth inspecting the gearbox input hub for failure of the safety washer ?

IMG_2566.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpg

I have check it when i separated the engine from the gearbox, it all looked okay!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JKV11 said:

I have checked the length and it’s the same length as the old one with which it has worked, so unfortunately that’s not the problem😢.

Did you machine the end of the pushrod diameter or the length. I just re read your original post and the issue is that the clutch lever is solid,ie it has no ability to be pulled back towards the handlebar.Is this correct?

What is the actual measurement I mentioned previously? 

What is the clutch you have fitted? Is it a new clutch assembly recently fitted?

If its an old clutch why would you machine the pushrod to correct a slipping issue?

Ciao

Hello Phil,

The problem was that when i opened up the throttle the clutch started slipping, at first i thought the friction plate was worn out, but it seemed okay. I found out, it was a 6 speed RAM clutch, so I ordered a new friction plate. This one was only 0,9 mm thicker then the original one, so i thought this cannot be the problem. After a lot of research i found out that the length of the pushrod was probably the problem. And the pushrod didn’t fit in the pressure plate, so i machined the original pushrod so it would fit in the hol in the pressure plate. But after i reassembled it, de clutch lever feels hard, and it is impossible to pull te lever.

The length of the Pushrod is 19,8 mm 

Kind regards,

Jorrit

I’m afraid I think i might know what the problem is, i was looking at the pictures, and i saw the friction plate is asymmetrical, so I took a good look at the new (spare) one, and i’m afraid that I placed it the wrong way around, and that the inner side is pushing the pressure plate all the way in:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, JKV11 said:

I’m afraid I think i might know what the problem is, i was looking at the pictures, and i saw the friction plate is asymmetrical, so I took a good look at the new (spare) one, and i’m afraid that I placed it the wrong way around, and that the inner side is pushing the pressure plate all the way in:unsure:

Sounds feasible, btw 0.9mm wear to a friction plate is quite a lot. How many miles had that plate done?

Ciao

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sounds feasible, btw 0.9mm wear to a friction plate is quite a lot. How many miles had that plate done?

Ciao

I don’t know, I bought the bike 2 years ago, the previous owner bought the bike from acquaintance, had it for over a year but never drove it, he had about 6 motorcycles, and had to make room for a new project. All the modifications that ware made were made bij the previous owner. I have the bills, so I know the date, but there’s not a mileage on them.