Loose Headlight Problem

Kane

I am hoping that I can get an idea on how to snug-up my headlight that is slightly loose in the housing. I noticed today that the face of the headlight was rotated off center, and the headlight was a bit loose in the housing. After loosing the screw on the bottom of the chrome rim and removing the rim and headlight it seems that the only thing holding the rim and headlight in the housing is the screw on the bottom of the rim and the flat spring/nut thing that I assume creates tension as it is pressed against the headlight and housing when the screw is tightened. After putting it all back in place and tightening the screw the headlight is still a bit loose. I am afraid to crank too hard on the screw as it looks like a sheet metal type of screw and I don’t want to strip it. What’s the best way to deal with this? Can I shim or pad the headlight or the rim of the housing with tape or paper? I don’t know if this is advisable. I’m wondering if there supposed to be a gasket or something missing. The diagram that I see in the parts catalog only shows the whole bucket and light assembly as one part.  The person that I bought the bike from told me that he had changed the lamp to an LED unit, but I don’t know. The glass face says BOSCH H4. It’s a 2001 V11 Sport with the metal headlight bucket. It’s probably been like this since I’ve had it and I’m just noticing it.

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't recall a gasket in there. Seems it just hooks on the top and snugs by pulling in with the bottom screw.

Let me take a closer look here when the coffee mug goes dry.

Right, so, the C-shaped cadmium plated metal clip should have its sides roughly parallel in the "loose" position (loose enough to take apart). Check that the tiny nut is not just spinning when it gets close to the tight position. That is fairly likely and the sides of the C-shaped plate could be crimped in a bit to prevent the nut turning and get the last bit of compression on the plate . . .

IMG_1831.jpg

[edit: @Kane , while you are in there make an inspection of the wiring and connector for heat damage. Take a look at what kind of "LED" may or may not be in there. This could mean several things, but for sure that someone has been in there before. Always good to check the PO's work . . .]

• Thanks 1

Docc, thank you so much for the photo and explanation. Much appreciated. That photo really helps. I’ll take it apart and examine all, take another shot at it. Hope all is well!

• Like 1

Going back together, I found that my habit of holding the assembly together while tightening the screw was allowing the nut to spin. releasing the outer so that the clip set its own tension was far more effective at getting it to snug up . . .

• Thanks 1

Thank you, docc! Got it back together with a much snugger fit. It was a matter of a few tries finessing that clip, but it’s much better now. Everything looks good, and gave the back of the BOSCH a good wipe down for smudges. 

I pulled the bulb and here it is:

2EDC6B80-F971-4F9F-8C53-0FE0E379EA16.jpeg

5D9E13FD-E25B-401A-A44D-3311ADB22FF7.jpeg

Does this look like the correct LED bulb? The beam is a fairly bright white light, but I don’t much about the LED lighting systems for bikes.

Well, there is no "correct" LED for the V11 reflectors/lenses, per se. Some throw a better beam than others, but nothing like a complete unit built for a specific LED "bulb."

I've never seen that one. I am liking my current one better than my first try. I'll look for a link to that (lengthy) thread . . .

[edit: So, yeah 15 page thread spanning 2 1/2 years]:

• Thanks 2

I had the same isdue with my Scura. It actually fell out. Then on my Lemans is about to come out. Vibrations are a bizzo. I had Guzzitech put in one of his LEDs. I think it took a small drill tap into the back of the housing for the board and cooler fan. Works amazing. 

LEDs work great in these. That housing is pretty tight but it's doable without melting anything. Im currently running all LEDs in my Scura. 

On my Ballabio, I noted that it was a somewhat sketchy attachment, and the long screw can completely miss the nut plate. It took a bit of jockeying to get it all into place and snugged up. My '04 has the ABS plastic housing with an impossible to remove QD multi-pin connector at the lower rear. As to loose rims when attached to the bucket, you might wrap some teflon tape around the portion of the bucket which the rim covers. It will take some experimentation, but it will tighten the fit, help with vibes a tad, and possibly seal the unit against rain or wash water.