Coppa Italia just sold

swooshdave

You use to hear that some people would put these in the $14-15k range. I just didn't see how.

366967_25.jpg

https://www.lelandlittle.com/items/366967/rare-2004-moto-guzzi-v11-coppa-italia/?ref={"name"%3A"Automobiles"%2C"url"%3A"\%2Fauction\%2Fthe-march-estate-auction\%2F53689\%2Fsearch\%2F%3Fadd_filters%3D%7B%22entities%22%3A%5B%7B%22type%22%3A%22category%22%2C%22id%22%3A10016%2C%22name%22%3A%22Automobiles%22%7D%5D%7D"}

I can't think of a worse time to hold an auction but I'm guessing the kids want the money now. Given that he apparently liked the bikes more than the kids I'm sure they can't wait to get rid of them.

Timing might be part of the low price. But I suspect this is the neighborhood these bikes should go for. $7000.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.

I know a lot of people think these are somehow more valuable than the other special edition models, but they don't do it for me. Now a Nero Corsa... I'd even consider trading my Scura for a pristine Nero Corsa.

Sadly, prices for all sorts of used bikes are probably going down soon given current economic conditions.

I never understood why the Coppas had handlebars instead of clip-ons like the Scura (especially since it was supposed to celebrate racing heritage).

Do this exercise..

1) Price up all the Öhlins bits

2) Add a little for Aprilia level QC

3) Factory Titanium pipes

4) A little extra for the paint scheme

5) Numbers built - Rarity value

6) Condition & mileage of the remaining usual shared componentry 

7) Sheene’s X factor to round it off - Desirability to Women

...And pays your money

ps. Guarantee whoever stole it for $7000 is laughing with delight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 4corsa said:

I never understood why the Coppas had handlebars instead of clip-ons like the Scura (especially since it was supposed to celebrate racing heritage).

With the solid mount fairing and particularly the gauges, there is scant room for clipons at full lock.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScuRoo said:

Do this exercise..

...And pays your money

Not the first time I’ve heard of one going that low. I will say that if you carefully look at all of the pics I don’t think it was in top condition.

Rarity absolutely doesn’t equal value. Desirability does.

• Like 1

That was an interesting diversion.

I have always liked the Coppas, but passed on at least two chances to replace my irreplaceable Ballabio.  

That listing sucked me in to read more.

Was a bit puzzled by this sort of thing: “[H]e added understated touches like the silicone tubing on the Ducati.”

But the oddest and most poignant bit of all of this was that the auction house’s sale blurb was the closest thing to an obit I could find out there: https://www.lelandlittle.com/story/a-life-in-motion/59817/

There is always “the rest of the story” to all of our stories, but I hope for Mr. Szafran’s sake that there is more joy than one might infer from the lack of notices and memorial messages.

On a happier note, if I can escape from Kathi’s decluttering clutches today I hope to spend some time in the Moto Grappa today trying to figure out this phenom: 
 :wacko:

i-stQv7P3-L.jpg

i-2n9JKWR-L.jpg

Bill

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Do this exercise..

...And pays your money

And the owner is turning in his grave!! 

20 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

That was an interesting diversion.

I have always liked the Coppas, but passed on at least two chances to replace my irreplaceable Ballabio.  

That listing sucked me in to read more.

Was a bit puzzled by this sort of thing: “[H]e added understated touches like the silicone tubing on the Ducati.”

But the oddest and most poignant bit of all of this was that the auction house’s sale blurb was the closest thing to an obit I could find out there: https://www.lelandlittle.com/story/a-life-in-motion/59817/

There is always “the rest of the story” to all of our stories, but I hope for Mr. Szafran’s sake that there is more joy than one might infer from the lack of notices and memorial messages.

On a happier note, if I can escape from Kathi’s decluttering clutches today I hope to spend some time in the Moto Grappa today trying to figure out this phenom: 
 :wacko:

i-stQv7P3-L.jpg

i-2n9JKWR-L.jpg

Bill

Is that at slow idle or fast idle? i noted that my Ballabio did that while on choke and I was gearing up - since then I've dropped it to low idle. Otherwise, single wall pipes and maybe timing is retarded? My Kawi EX500/GPz500s does that at fast idle warming up - but its carbs have enricheners rather than a choke. Had an '85 Thunderbird Turbo and after an uphill run home from work, the exhaust manifold and exhaust side of the turbo would be glowing.

14 hours ago, Twin AH said:

Agree...

15 hours ago, Nick said:

And the owner is turning in his grave!! 

I see the Coppa owners getting nervous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, po18guy said:

Is that at slow idle or fast idle? i noted that my Ballabio did that while on choke and I was gearing up - since then I've dropped it to low idle. Otherwise, single wall pipes and maybe timing is retarded? My Kawi EX500/GPz500s does that at fast idle warming up - but its carbs have enricheners rather than a choke. Had an '85 Thunderbird Turbo and after an uphill run home from work, the exhaust manifold and exhaust side of the turbo would be glowing.

Thanks for asking and suggesting a fix.

That reentry-like glow was a one-time VERY brief run in shop after (partial) 6K service.  

In brief response to your question, I started it, listened to it run (crappily) for possibly 10 seconds, then tried using throttle to raise RPM's.  No joy.  Max running was c. 30-40 secs, if that.  Scared me feceless when I saw the pipes glow like a cherry pie fresh from oven.

I did not post details here, but, if interested in more, see https://www.grisoghetto.com/t5042-great-griso-minds-needed-for-a-v7-problem

I got the new plug caps and plugs in yesterday and buttoned up one side; hope to finish rest today ... if my spousal supervisor gives me time off from our seemingly endless decluttering project that has us quarantined in our accumulated squalor of decades.  In fairness, I am the hoarder, so the mess is mostly mine.  :unsure:

Will post how the Stornello turns out.

Bill

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Not nervous at all. I'm keeping mine :thumbsup:

For your kids to auction off at a pittance? :D

I know I am going to ask for a rotisserie coffin to make the spinning easier.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1