Coppa Italia just sold

swooshdave

6 hours ago, docc said:

I remember calling Moto Guzzi North America in early summer 2000 when a Cycle World ad showed a brilliant green RedFrame, leaned over in action, and saying $9,999(US).

I couldn't believe they could be available after seeing an image of a black V1l Sport from EICMA 1997 (three years earlier!).

The nice lady on the phone (yeah, yeah, we used phones then. Mine had a coiled wire fastened to the wall. :oldgit:) said, "Oh, yes, they are available in the US. Your dealer has one (er, 125 miles away . . .). But they're not $9,999. $11,999."

That one was already sold, but the silver Sport was under my skin a few weeks later, $11,700US, all up and delivered to my driveway. :thumbsup:

As I recall, prices for V11 really did not seem to change much over the production run, even with the special models (ie:Öhlins).

I feel sure my Sport will be worth that again, someday. :unsure: Like when it gets dug up by archeologists. From another planet. B)

I remember the first time I saw a Tenni on the showroom. I was in love. Then I saw it was $15k and said I can't afford it. Especially in my 20s starting out. I drooled like you did. Behold 10 years later in 13 I bought my Lemans. Took years to sort out all the prior owner rigging and neglect but not the thing is faster than when new and probably more reliable. 

Guzzi ownership I discovered is like marriage to a chick with mental issues.. They can give you hell but once you get them going right and give them love you can ride em as hard as you want and become keepers.. (hopefully that isn't considered innapropriate..😉)

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:34 AM, Nick said:

Not nervous at all. I'm keeping mine :thumbsup:

Well don't plan on moving mine along any time soon....I have never purchased any of mine with any other intent but to enjoy them and try and be a respectable custodian of these fine machines.

That being said when the time comes I can only hope that the next owner/s will know what they have acquired.  :mg:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

Guzzi ownership I discovered is like marriage to a chick with mental issues.. They can give you hell but once you get them going right and give them love you can ride em as hard as you want and become keepers.. (hopefully that isn't considered innapropriate..😉)

Inappropriate? Probably.

Accurate? Definitely. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, docc said:

I remember calling Moto Guzzi North America in early summer 2000 when a Cycle World ad showed a brilliant green RedFrame, leaned over in action, and saying $9,999(US).

I couldn't believe they could be available after seeing an image of a black V1l Sport from EICMA 1997 (three years earlier!).

The nice lady on the phone (yeah, yeah, we used phones then. Mine had a coiled wire fastened to the wall. :oldgit:) said, "Oh, yes, they are available in the US. Your dealer has one (er, 125 miles away . . .). But they're not $9,999. $11,999."

That one was already sold, but the silver Sport was under my skin a few weeks later, $11,700US, all up and delivered to my driveway. :thumbsup:

As I recall, prices for V11 really did not seem to change much over the production run, even with the special models (ie:Öhlins).

I feel sure my Sport will be worth that again, someday. :unsure: Like when it gets dug up by archeologists. From another planet. B)

I recall (and we know how questionable that is) visiting the distributor at sometime maybe in the 90s. They were in North Carolina. I suspect I have photos of Benellis and Laverdas and probably some Guzzis. I wonder where those photos are.

32 minutes ago, gstallons said:

And the motorcycles w/the most issues are the wildest in bed !

<looks in garage>

I wonder what that says about me? :o

• Haha 1

I've had her for around 4 days and 200 miles now, tweaking the suspension but she is doing well.

Apparently she was the last bike he bought and he didn't get around to adding anything special to it. The front tire was worn severely on the left side, checked and found the steering head bearings to be loose and the forks out of line. Tightened and straightened that up and she tracks well now.

I want to drop the foot pegs an inch and back a little. Possibly lower the front a 1/4 inch or so to see if it make it a little quicker to turn in.

Gotta love all that torque :D

IMG_20200408_122343701_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Left side tire were is normal where we drive on the right side of the road. It also indicates a lot of city riding.

So, with the wheels off for new rubber you'll have the opportunity to check/replace wheel bearings, replace if necessary, and lube the 'hard to get to' front u-joint.

Could be an illusion but it looks like he didn't get around to brake fluid flush and fill either. If it's old fluid, our clutches respond noticeably well to new clean fluid.

She looks great.. and happy ...like a good dog who's found her furever home:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Left side tire were is normal where we drive on the right side of the road. It also indicates a lot of city riding.

So, with the wheels off for new rubber you'll have the opportunity to check/replace wheel bearings, replace if necessary, and lube the 'hard to get to' front u-joint.

Could be an illusion but it looks like he didn't get around to brake fluid flush and fill either. If it's old fluid, our clutches respond noticeably well to new clean fluid.

She looks great.. and happy ...like a good dog who's found her furever home:P

New fluids all the way around and basic maintenance/adjustments this weekend. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Welcome, and it looks like you might be in my neck of the woods.  I'm in Sanford, NC.

Not a lot of V11s around these parts as far as I know.

About an hour and a half away. There's also another Coppa in Charlotte.

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, swooshdave said:

For your kids to auction off at a pittance? :D

I know I am going to ask for a rotisserie coffin to make the spinning easier.

:wacko:

• Like 1