Show us your tools

Lucky Phil

Now that the V11/Daytona assembly is all but finished I decided to take a break and re group my thoughts and have a good tidy up before I get onto running it and figuring out the EFI. The process unearthed some old friends that engendered some memories and reflection. Principle among these was my grandfathers mechanical tachometer, such a lovely piece in its velvet lined box replete with various drive adaptors. I guess he used it for setting engine idle RPM on cars, dont know but it makes me think of him and holding in my hand something he used and valued is a nice feeling.

DSC01046.JPG

DSC01045.JPG  

I also came across this I made about 30 years ago to remove Ohlins fork caps. I am slightly impressed with myself as I remember machining this piece up including filing the 1/2 inch drive section by hand at my friends workshop The actual memories of that day and the people present come back to me as a pleasant time indeed.

More than just tools........old friends and valued memories.

DSC01050.JPG

DSC01049.JPG 

And here's my next project, a tool to remove the oil pressure switch on the Daytona engine. A long socket is too long and a short socket is too short so I'll make my own extended short tool. Just need to weld it together.

DSC01047.JPG

DSC01048.JPG

Ciao

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That magnificent  :notworthy:  "grandfather's mechanical tachometer", in a velvet lined box, is a hard act to follow!  :luigi:

I had some good fun digging around through funky, old kit smelling of ancient oils and burnished wood handles ( I already said my people were carpenters).  I selected a smattering of inherited, acquired, or otherwise brought to hand, hand-tools put to use over my un(mis?)guided course of wrenching (and beating upon) on various mechanical nemeses, Sirens, and pure delights.

IMG_1953.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, docc said:

That magnificent  :notworthy:  "grandfather's mechanical tachometer", in a velvet lined box, is a hard act to follow!  :luigi:

I had some good fun digging around through funky, old kit smelling of ancient oils and burnished wood handles ( I already said my people were carpenters).  I selected a smattering of inherited, acquired, or otherwise brought to hand, hand-tools put to use over my un(mis?)guided course of wrenching (and beating upon) on various mechanical nemeses, Sirens, and pure delights.

IMG_1953.jpg

Some beautiful pieces there docc,esp the old style dividers and screw driver. I love the repair to the file handle,worth taking the time to repair skilfully.

Ciao   

• Thanks 1

Dang! I have all of that stuff, including the mechanical tachometer, although it's considerably simplified. I can't believe it's all antique.. :oldgit:

• Haha 2

Here are the tools I generally use:

IMG_0599.JPG      :wacko:

A bit more seriously, as I was going through my old tools, I came up with this one.  Anyone wish to identify what it is?  Bonus points for naming the maker and approximate year of manufacture.  Double bonus points for explaining why this tool was intended as an improvement over its more usual competitors.  :oldgit:

IMG_0600.JPG      

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Nihontochicken said:

A bit more seriously, as I was going through my old tools, I came up with this one.  Anyone wish to identify what it is?  Bonus points for naming the maker and approximate year of manufacture.  Double bonus points for explaining why this tool was intended as an improvement over its more usual competitors.  :oldgit:

IMG_0600.JPG      

Not with such a low res shot I cant. Looks a little like a slide hammer but with a turning function.

Ciao

4 hours ago, Nihontochicken said:

IMG_0600.JPG      

Early OTC slide hammer that can use a lag screw to pull dents in body work?

If that's correct, Lucky Phil's turning comment gave me a clue,lol.

31 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

If that's correct, Lucky Phil's turning comment gave me a clue,lol.

I was just thinking that is such overkill to get the cork out of that wine bottle . . . :drink:

• Haha 3

How about a slidehammer for releasing stubborn screws, bolts etc.  With the correct tip attached works the other way round than other slide hammers.  Throw the weight downwards, it imparts a LH twist.  Similar to an impact driver.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:25 PM, 80CX100 said:

Colder ...

On 4/2/2020 at 2:33 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Not with such a low res shot I cant. Looks a little like a slide hammer but with a turning function.

Warmer ...

On 4/3/2020 at 7:13 AM, 68C said:

How about a slidehammer for releasing stubborn screws, bolts etc.  With the correct tip attached works the other way round than other slide hammers.  Throw the weight downwards, it imparts a LH twist.  Similar to an impact driver.

And we have a winner!  It is indeed a specialized impact driver.  Depending on which way the sliding hammer is rotated with respect to the Delrin buttons, the tool may be used to either tighten or loosen screws or bolts.  The degree of rotation will vary how much force is delivered to seat the screw or bolt and how much is applied as a torque. Once loosened, a fastener could then be unscrewed with the T-handle wrench.   It was made about fifty years by Joe Bolger of Barre, Mass.  I think it was about $50, a fair piece of change back then.  What a "serious" rider would have in his kit, along with his safety wire twisting tool.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nihontochicken said:

Colder ...

Warmer ...

And we have a winner!  It is indeed a specialized impact driver.  Depending on how far the sliding hammer is rotated with respect to the Delrin buttons, the tool may be used to either tighten or loosen screws or bolts.  The degree of rotation will vary how much force is delivered to seat the screw or bolt and how much is applied as a torque. Once loosened, a fastener could then be unscrewed with the T-handle wrench.   It was made about fifty years by Joe Bolger of Barre, Mass.  I think it was about $50, a fair piece of change back then.  What a "serious" rider would have in his kit, along with his safety wire twisting tool.  :lol:

Interesting, do you have a higher res shot so I can see the workings?

Ciao