Show us your tools

Lucky Phil

37 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Yours are new tech. The old ones were "cutting edge" 25 years ago, and absolutely ate batteries. My Federals were one of those. I had a job running glass filled Delrin that absolutely ate up the rack and pinion of indicator calipers, so I bought in to the new digitals at that time. If you got a month out of a set of fairly expensive batteries, you were good. :huh2: I didn't mind at the time, it was part of the cost of doing business.

Yes Chuck, I only upgraded to a pair of Mitutoyo digital calipers about 3 or 4 years ago and the battery is still going strong. Incredible really since it doesnt have an "auto off" capability which I'd really appreciate. As an aside my ex bought a cheapy brand small pocket digital camera around 15 years ago that used 2 AAA batteries. The batteries would take about 15 images and they were done!  

Ciao

When I can remember , I remove the battery from them when I finish . Jus like today I went to measure something........DEAD battery ! Maybe I will remember some day .

9 hours ago, Tinus89 said:

Interesting... Even though I like analog ones and have learned the ropes with them, I have two 10eur cheap digital ones... So far (5yrs), I've never replaced one battery. One of the two is even in the shed where temps go sub-zero in winter...

Agreed Tinus.. mine from Harbor Freight (China discount store) were $8. 10 years ago and have surprised me with dependability. Still on orig battery.

• 4 weeks later...

What's a guy to do if his compression tester has only 18mm and 14mm threads, but his bike (Kawi 500) has 12mm plugs? Well, what fits better than a spark plug? Gutted the plug, squared off the top on my handy-dandy drill press, tapped 14 X 1.25, filled the cavern with JB weld and drilled through it, slipped a high pressure viton O-ring on and there ya' go.

IMG_2997.JPGIMG_2998.JPGIMG_3001.JPG

• Like 2

Hearing of the charging amperage requirements of the Odyssey battery, I did not want to lay out the bux for an "approved" charger. Ya' see, I had a perfectly good Schumacher rollabout charger that will do 2/10/40/200 amps. Not worried about the 40 and 200 here. 10A seems about OK. But, it has only those huge automotive battery clamps on it. So, I picked up an SAE connector w/10AWG leads and wired them to the output of the charger. They lead to a covered, polarized outlet that I mounted on the front panel for access. Now, amping up is that much more convenient. But 10amps through an SAE connector does have me wondering a bit. We'll find out on that. Will have to be used in concert with a volt meter to ensure staying at or below 15V. 

Got some leather tool holsters for the automotive clamps so as to avoid shorting. They'll go on the sides.

IMG_3002.JPGIMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I hope it works well for you .

AGM batteries need AGM chargers .

Will be primarily for conditioning, as regular riding keeps the battery up.

Do yourself a favor and look on the Odyssey website and see what type charger they recommend . These batteries use a different charger . 

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Do yourself a favor and look on the Odyssey website and see what type charger they recommend . These batteries use a different charger . 

That I know. I read and have posted their "reconditioning" protocol. They need a minimum of 6 amps. I figure 10 will do it, if watched carefully. If I fry it, I'll just go back to Yuasa AGM, as they are not as weird and my last one lasted 9 years with no extra care required. . 

• Like 2

I use a very old standard charger set to manual and 6a. I time it and try to not forget. I have 3 545's and this charger works fine. I have done the conditioning protocol and brought back one I thought dead, and successfully condition the other 2 seasonally.  Only question for me would be how to discharge them on the bench. I used a test clip with a light but it doesn't pull enough.

I use a couple 1156 bulbs in series or an old fog light from a Jeep Wrangler. Simply watch the voltage a few minutes until it stabilizes. 

• Thanks 1

For my light duty torquing (300 in/lb - 35 Nm), I use a Consolidated Devices Inc./Snap-On 3002LDI dial torque wrench. It does not ratchet. It is not ergonomic. It measures torque. They are not prohibitive to purchase, but as always, are far less expensive on the surplus market. Dual scale on both directions. Resettable zero. Had a nicer example, but some local meth-heads stole it.

IMG_3005.JPG   IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gstallons said:

I am sure he got $10 for it !

Had to sell it, once he figured out it wasn't a dope scale.

• Like 1

We've got a meth-head so screwed up , he stole all the wrought iron fences around the ( extremely old ) family graveyards around here . 

• Sad 2