Show us your tools

Lucky Phil

i'm guessing there may be a thread on this but not seeing it....

My old Twinmax i've had since Y2K has been my sync tool.  On the last go-around with the red v11 i noted that even on the most sensitive setting i wasn't getting much change as i adjusted things.  In comparison, on the old oilhead i had for years that twinmax needle would bounce around soon as adjusting things out of the sweet spot on the sync in either direction.   On top of that, at one point many tune-ups into owning the oilhead, i had the BMW dealer do a sync once, and it came back better than my previous sync's.  Hmm...i had been confident in my technique and results, but now had a new standard.  what was i missing, or did they just have a better/more sensitive sync tool?  Not too long later, sold the oilhead, without resolving in my head what the bottom line was on all that.

Fast forward to now, and i'm looking at comments (TomChri, etc) on the carbtune pro, and some other options, and generally see that folks tend to think the the carbtune pro might be more accurate than the twinmax, but thats really the question.  I haven't ventured from the twinmax in 20-ish yrs, and love a good tool, so thought i'd fish about for input on whether to consider shelling out for a different sync measure tool.

and no thanks for all the "just make it yourself" stuff.  I know, those work, but I'm only interested in retail tools, and ones that are better than my old twinmax.  And/or thoughts on what else i might be overlooking for why i'm seeing such little variation on the twinmax as i adjust the sync/white knob (yes, valves done, idle backed off, un-connected, etc.)

Ciao

• Like 1

Input,   Greg, do you have a bin :rasta:  just saying after using the carbtune a few times already, IMHO does the job VERY well. Specially like the restrictors on the hoses, smooths the reading out. Even better hoses.  Probably a ton of gear out there from 10$ -50k.

Cheers tom.

58 minutes ago, docc said:

Talk of balancing tools reminded me I have this ALFA Romeo relic:

Most reliable product Alfa ever made!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, docc said:

Talk of balancing tools reminded me I have this ALFA Romeo relic:

IMG_3006.jpg

Love it!  i'll head down to napa and get one right away, and carry it in the V11 road tool kit  :->

i've got a soft spot for Alfa's, "peculiar" as they are.  I spent the summer when i was 15 in italy tooling around in a 2.0 quadrifoglio (sp?), with an uncle who lived there and was insane enough to let me behind the wheel, so he could smoke and cue up his music on what was then a state of the art stereo (mostly Mario Lanza, Buddy Holly, and John Denver).  All that espresso and nicotine formed an "elder" family member who should have been saying "slow down kid", and instead was saying "faster!"

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 3:38 PM, Tomchri said:

Input,   Greg, do you have a bin :rasta:  just saying after using the carbtune a few times already, IMHO does the job VERY well. Specially like the restrictors on the hoses, smooths the reading out. Even better hoses.  Probably a ton of gear out there from 10$ -50k.

Cheers tom.

think i'll give it a try.  dollar is strong against the pound now, and always fun to play with a new tool, so will give it whirl and compare to the twinmax.

that damn BMW dealer years ago put the bug in my head that maybe i can still get the sync always just a little better....

• 1 month later...

Here is another for the "What's-it?" crowd. What is the flat tool at the bottom, right, with the notch at the tip? (Hint: mid-80s BMW motorcycle toolroll):

IMG_3288.jpg

43 minutes ago, paulnaz said:

1984 R45 specific valve tool/spoke wrench.:huh2:

Paul B:bier:

Well, it is living on an R1100S now, but came off a K75 . . . so, no wire spokes with nipples . . .

2 hours ago, docc said:

Well, it is living on an R1100S now, but came off a K75 . . . so, no wire spokes with nipples . . .

I've owned a couple of K100RS's over the years docc but can't remember this tool. R U shore it's part of the std kit?

Ciao

4 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've owned a couple of K100RS's over the years docc but can't remember this tool. R U shore it's part of the std kit?

Ciao

Nope. Doesn't even look very German. No stampings or markings.

But it does look rather purposeful, if not very elegant . . . :grin:

35 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Solid! :thumbsup:

I'll share that with my buddy. He's coming to the South'n SpineRaid. Maybe we'll pass around the little flat thingy and let folks speculate . . .

• Like 1